Choosing a CPU for a home nas+game server

Okay so I'm building a home server as a nas and game hosting too for friends gonna used 128gb ram and unraid originally I was gonna go for a 16 core threadripper, but now I want to use epyc instead and possibly with ecc (I know both can use ecc) and I'm not really willing to spend 1k+ on a cpu. That being said, the 7302 epyc goes for on average $260 used on ebay (all coming from china) should I trust used server cpus for such a low price?

I'm going for epyc and ecc since its always gonna be on with a restart not very often. In terms of game hosting, it'll just be me and (probably) up to 4 others at any given time. Currently I plan on doing all ark official maps (8 maps, 8 cores (2 threads each), mostly a ram issue as 6-8gb per map)), satisfactory which supposedly uses 4 cores, and minecraft which I've been told is single core

Id stay away from those older epyc chips. There pretty low clocked, and something like a 5950x or 13900k would be faster,  a similar price with board, and would work better here. The non servers chips can also run 24/7 for extened periods of time with no restarts, so I dont' see a point in server cpus here.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id stay away from those older epyc chips. There pretty low clocked, and something like a 5950x or 13900k would be faster,  a similar price with board, and would work better here. The non servers chips can also run 24/7 for extened periods of time with no restarts, so I dont' see a point in server cpus here.

Gotcha, threw together a rough build, how does this look? (I have a rack)

https://newegg.io/2c6635e

2 minutes ago, Dredgen Apollo said:

Gotcha, threw together a rough build, how does this look? (I have a rack)

https://newegg.io/2c6635e

How much storgae do you want in the nas? I'd probably get a case with more hdd bays for a nas.

Id also go with a 4u case. You get a good amount more room, and can fit much better cpu coolers.

Cooler comes with thermal paste, no need to add your own.

That board + cpu combo seems pretty expensive, You can get the cpu for about $550 alone. Id get this for the board https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X570D4U-2L2T#Specifications. IPMI so you don't need a gpu, official ecc support, and 10gbe support.

Id probably get 2 1tb m.2 drives for boot + vms. Then you can run them in raid 1 as a mirror. Id personally go proxmox here.

Id get a cooler like this guy for 3u NH-D9DX i4 3U or the 4u version. They will be much better than that low profile cooler you sleected.

Just now, Dredgen Apollo said:

unraid runs in ram, that's what the flash drive is for. I got the 512m.2 to run the game servers off of. The 6x wd reds (24x24tb) are storage (steam cache, files, etc)

As for the mb+cpu combo, that motherboard does officially support ECC, and if I were to get the combo it would be less expensive than the board you showed me + standalone CPU. Then again though, that 10gbit port looks nice (not that I'd ever need more than 2.5)

As for cooling solutions, thanks, I'll look into that!

EDIT: when I said 24x24, I meant 24tb for storage and 24tb parity

2 hours ago, Dredgen Apollo said:

The ipmi on that board is nice, so then you don't need a graphics card for the system, and can change bios settings and stuff over the network. You can get a version without 10gbe if you want it cheaper.

you don't do 24 data + 24tb parity, thats not how unraid works. Id make one, maybe 2 of those drives parity. If you want raid 10, Id go proxmox and use zfs.