Nvidia is Clearly Better, Right?

AlexTheGreatish

Over the lifetime of RDNA2 AMD has apparently improved the experience a lot, making us wonder... should you actually choose Nvidia for your next GPU? Particularly when AMD left some performance on the table we hope to extract using the Radeon Monster Profile.

Check our Hydra: https://www.overclock.net/threads/official-hydra-and-hydra-pro-thread.1796800/

Check our 1usmus: https://twitter.com/1usmus?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

22 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Over the lifetime of RDNA2 AMD has apparently improved the experience a lot, making us wonder... should you actually choose Nvidia for your next GPU? Particularly when AMD left some performance on the table we hope to extract using the Radeon Monster Profile.

Check our Hydra: https://www.overclock.net/threads/official-hydra-and-hydra-pro-thread.1796800/

Check our 1usmus: https://twitter.com/1usmus?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

4:03, 6800xt wins by the 3080? Is this real or what?

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

In fairness, one (of many) contributing factors to Nvidia's steam dominance in recent years has been due to their high end cards being easier to source than AMD cards due to AMD's advantage in crypto mining.  I.E I'm sure more gamers would have bought Vega cards if they weren't being hovered up by miners the second they appeared in stock.

I'm excited for RMP to be released. I wonder how much performance I can get out of the 6700XT that I have.

better drivers and everything, if 7600-7800 is stable, might be worth a shot.

Some features would still be missing, but feeling like a good thing to get away from nvidia.

With how FSR 3 would be, still missing recreation, which is not something FSR would do like DLSS? if not they sneak it into FSR 3 or something.

Then also the whole new software updates, which means new stuff to explore and if that will also either bug or help AMD cards.

that and remote streaming they talked about, if its that safe, as it was a "control of the GPU" and if mostly limited to GPU and whatever about inputs etc.

You messed up the 6700XT graphs when OC you list it as 540$ instead of its price just below. Seems like a re-used graph from the 6800XT graphs.

Other then that im curious what exactly 1usmus claimed that it was flat out better when that doesnt seem to be that feasible.

I think amds launch drivers are a pretty big issue I got an r9 270 and 5700xt at launch and had driver issues for months with both of them it was pretty annoying, the 5700xt was especially bad and I had a whole lot of crashing and black screens just in desktop use. I recently upgraded to a 6800 and it has been perfect but id imagine theyre gonna have problems at launch with their next gen cards also. I will always go with them in the future though because theyre more consumer friendly they open source their tech so you dont end up with stupid stuff like physx only working on nvidia cards and their linux driver support is great. I did have a 1070ti briefly before getting the 5700xt but it was a total mess in linux with wayland so i sold it after a few months

Launch drivers haven't been an issue since the 5700 XT on that large of an aspect.

Nvidia is not clearly better, AMD has been offering better value for long. Also, morally I pick AMD over a company that names themselves envy a greek myth money beast. Not to mention literally everything that comes with Nvidia goes up or down the Nvidia way, the greedy bastardized ways.

I hope this software can help me to squeeze some performance out of my 6900XT as well.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard: B550 AORUS PRO AC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 @3600MT/s | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT | Case: Fractal Meshify C | Storage: Western Digital Black SN750 NVMe 1TB & Samsung SSD 870 QVO 2TB | PSU: Cooler Master V-Series V750 Gold V2 750W | Display(s): MSI Optix MAG342CQR - 1440p144 & 2x 1080p60 | Cooling: Scythe Mugen 5 | Keyboard: Logitech G815 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Sound: Logitech Z906 5.1 Sound System | Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Why is at 30 second mark you show the price of 3070ti instead of 3070?

It seems like LTT maximizes something that fits their agenda, whether it's clickbaits, sponsors, or something else, and minimizes it when it clashes with their agenda. 

I was excited for Labs, but now I don't know, I just can't take informations from a known unreliable source. 

28 minutes ago, Agent Squirrel said:

Why is at 30 second mark you show the price of 3070ti instead of 3070?

It seems like LTT maximizes something that fits their agenda, whether it's clickbaits, sponsors, or something else, and minimizes it when it clashes with their agenda. 

I was excited for Labs, but now I don't know, I just can't take informations from a known unreliable source. 

because they were comparing it to a 3070ti?

1 hour ago, starsmine said:

because they were comparing it to a 3070ti?

I heard 3070, and the graphs also shows that the performance is near 3070, not 3070ti.

When you have to make two videos in a row praising AMD

Lisa is a demanding lady!

Work for that money Linus!

@AlexTheGreatish Just like Alex, I had the unfortunate experience of using the dreaded R9 380.

The drivers for this mofo were so unstable that in some games they just crashed (At some point AMD acknowledged this issue).

So you checked AMD's cards in DX11 titles, but what about OpenGL and DX9?

I remember trying to play Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth on my R9 380 but the OpenGL driver was so unstable that it was artifacting:

C45066D54DB6771C0D5C862BB0441EF4C275637A

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1267010347

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

16 hours ago, Vishera said:

@AlexTheGreatish Just like Alex, I had the unfortunate experience of using the dreaded R9 380.

The drivers for this mofo were so unstable that in some games they just crashed (At some point AMD acknowledged this issue).

So you checked AMD's cards in DX11 titles, but what about OpenGL and DX9?

I remember trying to play Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth on my R9 380 but the OpenGL driver was so unstable that it was artifacting:

RIP, I had two R9 290X's and had great experience. I think a lot of the issues was having cards in the same product generation using 3 or more GCN architectures and sub revisions of those. AMD trying to save costs by reusing but creating a ton of software/drive issues in doing so.

You had a GCN3 card but Tonga rather than GCN3 Fiji so got next to no love sadly. Shame since the Fury cards weren't at all competitive.

41 minutes ago, leadeater said:

RIP, I had two R9 290X's and had great experience. I think a lot of the issues was having cards in the same product generation using 3 or more GCN architectures and sub revisions of those. AMD trying to save costs by reusing but creating a ton of software/drive issues in doing so.

I thought the exact same thing,

All of the driver issues started in April 2016 - a few months before the launch of Polaris.

At least i knew that the drivers released in March 2016 worked, so i used those to check if the issues i experienced were caused by the card or the driver.

Not perfect but it's better than nothing.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

come on comparing an overclocked card with a normal one , wonder what performance of those nVIDIA cards would be after a visit to MSI afterburner .the video only show hydra made overclocking easier

I had a similar experience to Alex with AMD. I bought an AMD R9 390X and the experience was terrible. Lots of graphical issues, crashes, and poor performance across a wide range of games. I traded the card for a GTX 970 straight up, and although the 970 benchmarks worse it was a much better experience. When I wanted to play a game, I could. I knew it would work, and that card is still going strong on my non-primary TV.  

I think this kind of thing is what so many reviewers miss. They pick games where AMD cards work, because there's a logic to testing the cards each at their fullest potential. You see these stories about "AMD drivers are good now" but this info is always completely absent from reviews of these cards. LTTs own R9 380X review would never lead you to expect an experience like Alex had. They even recommend the R9 380 over the 380X for most buyers!

So as a potential buyer of an AMD card, how can you make sense of this? The review for the R9 3XX cards, at the time, made no mention of driver issues. But this video about how you need a random GitHub tool in order to get the most out of your AMD card claims at the same time that the driver issues are solved now? Personally, I wouldn't buy an AMD card myself because when I have a chance to game I do not want to spend any time debugging my system; I just want to game. 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone actually tried this yet? Interested to hear results. I'm going to give it a go on my 6800XT. Wish me luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, curious how this turned out in the end? Don't think I'd want to risk my GPU, but I'm intrigued nonetheless.

• 7 months later...

I've been on AMD since they "mostly" open sourced their driver stack for Linux, while it's still not as good as Intel's the AMD drivers on Linux allow the cards to run better in a majority of games than they would in Windows in my not scientific testing.

I'm sure if the labs team had Markbench working on a Linux system they'd be able to reflect that point.

That said, I'm still disapointed that LTT doesn't show us many other performance metrics other than game benchmarks. I want to see compute and render performance....