Diagonal distortion using component on CRT TV

LloydLynx

I connected a DTV box to a CRT TV via component. I'm getting this diagonal distortion. The DTV box is set to 480i and YPbPr instead of RGB. I've triple checked all the cables are connected properly. There's no setting on the TV for video clock or anything like that, nor the DTV box. No frequency controls. This is all in america with american equipment. 

The TV is a Dynex DX-R24TV, and the box is a Samsung SIR-T451. Everything seems to be setup correctly. I've got no idea why it won't work right. 

IMG_20221101_152523.thumb.jpg.40b0e57417c9d72835fb31ea9781b676.jpg

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

18 minutes ago, LloydLynx said:

I connected a DTV box to a CRT TV via component. I'm getting this diagonal distortion. The DTV box is set to 480i and YPbPr instead of RGB. I've triple checked all the cables are connected properly. There's no setting on the TV for video clock or anything like that, nor the DTV box. No frequency controls. This is all in america with american equipment. 

The TV is a Dynex DX-R24TV, and the box is a Samsung SIR-T451. Everything seems to be setup correctly. I've got no idea why it won't work right. 

IMG_20221101_152523.thumb.jpg.40b0e57417c9d72835fb31ea9781b676.jpg

The DTV box manual states that the output you have selected is 480p not 480i (which your TV supports). You need to select the other output ports. 

"((You can connect Y,Pb,Pr to a TV, computer monitor, or another video component input. As with DTV OUT (Y,Pb,Pr format), 1080i, 720p, and 480p are available by setting

the RESOLUTION SELECT switch. This output port supports the only SD and HD output.))"

7 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

The DTV box manual states that the output you have selected is 480p not 480i (which your TV supports). You need to select the other output ports. 

"((You can connect Y,Pb,Pr to a TV, computer monitor, or another video component input. As with DTV OUT (Y,Pb,Pr format), 1080i, 720p, and 480p are available by setting

the RESOLUTION SELECT switch. This output port supports the only SD and HD output.))"

The switch is set to 480i. It's all the way to the right, and has 4 tactile notches matching the lable. 

IMG_20221101_161558.thumb.jpg.41852d83c1b5ba5bab5a26cd2b9363a2.jpg

lumpy chunks

(\__/)

-Rakshit Jain

13 minutes ago, LloydLynx said:

The switch is set to 480i. It's all the way to the right, and has 4 tactile notches matching the lable. 

IMG_20221101_161558.thumb.jpg.41852d83c1b5ba5bab5a26cd2b9363a2.jpg

image.png.962c400bd94f2eaea031372e7274c570.png

10 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

I found the manual at SIR-T451 - Samsung. It looks like your screenshot got cut off and doesn't show the 480i option. Also, read the entire paragraph under "13 RESOLUTION SELECT". This DTV box definitely has 480i. 

2022-11-01-164615_1440x900_scrot.thumb.png.235d078f9feed687695ef8bee0feeaec.png

lumpy chunks

(\__/)

-Rakshit Jain

4 minutes ago, LloydLynx said:

I found the manual at SIR-T451 - Samsung. It looks like your screenshot got cut off and doesn't show the 480i option. Also, read the entire paragraph under "13 RESOLUTION SELECT". This DTV box definitely has 480i. 

2022-11-01-164615_1440x900_scrot.thumb.png.235d078f9feed687695ef8bee0feeaec.png

Yes but as far as I can tell you need to use the composite connectors on the far left as well. You might also need to change some settings on your tv as well.

Other than that I am out of ideas right now. Are you trying to connect your pc to the CRT via the box?

3 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Yes but as far as I can tell you need to use the composite connectors on the far left as well. You might also need to change some settings on your tv as well.

Connecting Y to composite video on the box does show an image, but it's just black&white. Connecting the Pb and Pr cables as well results in misplaced colors and a line down the middle of the screen. 

The TV itself has no relavent menu options(that's the box menu in the picture), and no physical switches on the back. 

IMG_20221101_170953.thumb.jpg.d4ddb7425c7f75645e998d941fe1e206.jpg

10 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Are you trying to connect your pc to the CRT via the box?

It's a digitial TV tuner box. I'm using it to satisfy my nerdy cravings while I wait for some adapters I ordered to come in the mail, since it's the only component output device in the house right now. I'm kinda concerned the adpaters won't be compatible with this TV now that I've seen the box doesn't work right with it. 

lumpy chunks

(\__/)

-Rakshit Jain

4 minutes ago, LloydLynx said:

Connecting Y to composite video on the box does show an image, but it's just black&white. Connecting the Pb and Pr cables as well results in misplaced colors and a line down the middle of the screen. 

The TV itself has no relavent menu options(that's the box menu in the picture), and no physical switches on the back. 

IMG_20221101_170953.thumb.jpg.d4ddb7425c7f75645e998d941fe1e206.jpg

It's a digitial TV tuner box. I'm using it to satisfy my nerdy cravings while I wait for some adapters I ordered to come in the mail, since it's the only component output device in the house right now. I'm kinda concerned the adpaters won't be compatible with this TV now that I've seen the box doesn't work right with it. 

Any chance you can get your hands on a brand name CRT (Sony, Philips etc.) those worked for me but that was years ago. How do you connect the box to your computer?

3 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Any chance you can get your hands on a brand name CRT (Sony, Philips etc.) those worked for me but that was years ago.

Not unless I blowout the budget. 

5 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

How do you connect the box to your computer?

The box isn't related to my computer. The box is just something for me to play around with, until I get component adapters for my computer and consoles. 

lumpy chunks

(\__/)

-Rakshit Jain

2 minutes ago, LloydLynx said:

Not unless I blowout the budget. 

The box isn't related to my computer. The box is just something for me to play around with, until I get component adapters for my computer and consoles. 

Ah I see. Any reason you cannot run in RGB mode instead? If the TV signal is B/W, check if the saturation level. If turned down it will go B/W. Are you creating some sort of retro gaming setup? I run my N64 and PS2 on a regular 1080p LCD TV from Toshiba (old one, very dumb). The trick is to have a TV that allows for the input 1:1 without adjusting to size.

12 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Any reason you cannot run in RGB mode instead?

The TV doesn't have an RGB input, and the RCA jacks become inoperative when the box is switched to RGB. 

12 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

If the TV signal is B/W, check if the saturation level. If turned down it will go B/W.

Definitely not that.  

13 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Are you creating some sort of retro gaming setup?

I want to connect my Nintendo Switch and my laptop to this TV, just because I'm a CRT nerd. 

Thank you for trying to help. Hopefully someone else will have an answer. 

lumpy chunks

(\__/)

-Rakshit Jain