3080 12gb, 3080 Ti, 3090 or 6900 XT?

Paul17

I'm thinking of upgrading my current card, EVGA 3060 XC.   I have a 4K TV & will do video editing/content creation/productivity.   So, I think the AMD card is not suitable for the latter, right?

I'll use Davinci Resolve and Premiere Pro.   For games, I dunno - will be at 1440p and 4K resolutions - 4K when possible....

I was looking at used cards - most of the used cards are probably out of warranty or close to it?   There is a concern with cards that were overclocked or mined - and if they got hot or ran hot for extended periods of time (i.e. pushed?)?   Some buy & sell sites have a rep ratings system so it's a better chance of getting a decent card (supposedly).   There's also the option of buying a 'lesser card' - e.g. 3080 12gb and pay more - but, at least, it's new.

I also would like one of the quieter cards - EVGA 3080/90 FTW3 Ultra or an Asus 3080/90?    Or just pick whatever brand/model is a good price?   

I don't know if I should consider EVGA cards with the situation there?  

I'm not gonna budget for a 4090 - it's over $2K here - I might need a new psu too?    I have a Corsair RM850x - a 3090 *might* be okay with it - but, it's possible I might need a 1200w psu? 

Thoughts?   Recommendations?  

2 minutes ago, Paul17 said:

So, I think the AMD card is not suitable for the latter, right?

Yeah, I wouldn't want to recommend a 6900 XT to use with the Adobe suite, it just heavily favors Nvidia cards. If you do primarily Resolve, it's a different story, the 6900 XT is pretty good in there, but so are Nvidia cards, and then you won't have to be worrying if the drivers will play nice with the software. If this were just a gaming rig, 6900 XT no question is gonna be your best bang for the buck, but for a production machine it's not really that big a worry. 

7 minutes ago, Paul17 said:

I was looking at used cards - most of the used cards are probably out of warranty or close to it?   There is a concern with cards that were overclocked or mined - and if they got hot or ran hot for extended periods of time (i.e. pushed?)?   Some buy & sell sites have a rep ratings system so it's a better chance of getting a decent card (supposedly).   There's also the option of buying a 'lesser card' - e.g. 3080 12gb and pay more - but, at least, it's new.

So my feeling for this is that if you need the 24GB of VRAM the 3090 can offer, you probably want to be going for the 3090 Ti instead. The 3090 Ti is newer so even if it was mined on, it was probably only for a month, it doesn't have the VRAM overheating issues that the 3090s have since it's a single sided board, plus the GPUs are built to a significantly higher standard than the 3090s were. The price difference between the two is relatively small as well, usually only about $50-100 (at least in my quick US eBay price search, so it just makes more sense. 

If you don't need the 24GB of VRAM, stick with the 3080. I'd probably want a new one, the VRAM overheating issue isn't as bad as on 3090s, but it's still to the point where I wouldn't trust a potential mining card (though if you can confirm that the card wasn't for mining, say buying from a friend, or get one that did have proper precautions taken to make sure the memory temps weren't crazy high while mining, I'd feel pretty comfortable buying one used). 

15 minutes ago, Paul17 said:

I also would like one of the quieter cards - EVGA 3080/90 FTW3 Ultra or an Asus 3080/90?    Or just pick whatever brand/model is a good price?   

You want to more or less pick whatever brand/model is at a good price, there isn't much difference between the cards, though get one with a larger cooler on it (I.E. don't get a 3080/3090 XC3, those cards run real hot and the cooler can get a little noisier). I personally wouldn't avoid EVGA, they're the only ones where the warranty would transfer if you bought it used so whether or not their warranty coverage actually matters is kinda irrelevant, but I get the arguments against getting one of their cards and would only really get one new if it's on a good sale. 

Ebay has plenty of reputable sellers and good coverage. 
A used 3090fe would be my volt but I tend to water cool them anyway. So doesnt matter how it was used or going to be used, wont be damaged give thats how its supposed to be used. And a 850 would be enough for that card.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

@RONOTHAN## - I agree but I don't know if I need the extra RAM - I might not but I think if I consider a 3080 - it would have to be a 12gb version or the 3080 Ti.   I see mostly 3080 10gb versions for sale (used).   As for the 3090s I see used - the price is all over the place and most are out of my area/location - so, it's a case of waiting or finding a website with sellers who have 'online reps' - and trusting someone.   Ebay isn't a good option - not in the USA - so shipping is an added cost (+ taxes) and ppl ask way too much.   Plus, most of the ads are 'auctions.'

The 3090 Ti - is around $300/$400 more than the 3090s - so, I can't justify that - I don't like haggling so I might ask for a 'discount' but I don't think ppl will reduce their price much unless they're desperate.  

Thanks for the info about the XC3 - I didn't know that and I occasionally see one for sale.  I was mostly looking at the FTW3 cards and they're the most common (EVGA) card that comes up for sale (used).   I was looking for an Asus Strix or Tuf - but, the sellers often ask too much (imho).   Or the seller is not in my area - or it's sold really quickly if the asking price is semi-reasonable.

I was hoping AMD would improve in the content creation/productivity sphere but alas, they haven't yet.   So, it looks like I have confirmation to stick with Nvidia.

@Mick Naughty - Ebay - I take a look now and then at ads - but, in my locale - there's very few listings - and ppl ask too much - there's taxes plus most ads are auctions - for cards in other countries - the import fees or shipping is too much of an added cost.

I am mostly looking at local online ads, a few websites that have local/semi-local (same country) ads - and at least, no taxes.   These sites also have some sort of 'rep' - in some respects - so, it might be trustworthy somewhat although probably not as good as an 'in-person' transaction. 

19 hours ago, Paul17 said:

I'm thinking of upgrading my current card, EVGA 3060 XC.   I have a 4K TV & will do video editing/content creation/productivity.   So, I think the AMD card is not suitable for the latter, right?

I'll use Davinci Resolve and Premiere Pro.   For games, I dunno - will be at 1440p and 4K resolutions - 4K when possible....

I don't know if I should consider EVGA cards with the situation there?  

I'm not gonna budget for a 4090 - it's over $2K here - I might need a new psu too?    I have a Corsair RM850x - a 3090 *might* be okay with it - but, it's possible I might need a 1200w psu? 

Thoughts?   Recommendations?  

You will be fine for some time with 12GB at 1440p but personally I wouldn't less than 16GB on a high-end card for 4k.  I only had a few issues with 10GB on the 3080 but usage will just keep going up.  That power supply is fine, but 3090/ti have higher transient issues than the 4090 and about the same power usage as the 3090ti.

I had the 3080 FTW3 ultra I wasn't impressed with fan noise.  I'm really hard to satisfy on that though.  I preferred Strix but their prices with 3000/4000 has been insane.  For 4000 series there are a lot of quiet cards as the coolers are overdesigned, I don't even hear my 4090 Trio.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2022 at 11:44 AM, ewitte said:

You will be fine for some time with 12GB at 1440p but personally I wouldn't less than 16GB on a high-end card for 4k.  I only had a few issues with 10GB on the 3080 but usage will just keep going up.  That power supply is fine, but 3090/ti have higher transient issues than the 4090 and about the same power usage as the 3090ti.

I had the 3080 FTW3 ultra I wasn't impressed with fan noise.  I'm really hard to satisfy on that though.  I preferred Strix but their prices with 3000/4000 has been insane.  For 4000 series there are a lot of quiet cards as the coolers are overdesigned, I don't even hear my 4090 Trio.

The 4090 is just too much $.   At least, here and availability isn't great - meaning limited choices and prices are high.

I'm wondering about a 3090 - ASUS Tuf, Strix or FE or EVGA FTW3?   Only looking at used, for now.   VS 6900 XT?   I will probably stick with the Nvidia cards because the plan is for 4K gaming, Blender and video editing software - Davinci Resolve, Premiere Pro etc. - Nvidia probably is the better choice for these tasks and software - the new AMD RX 7900 XTX might be outside my (preferred) price bracket.   It's supposedly going to be $1300+ here and not sure how it will do with the previously mentioned programs/tasks although ray tracing for it should be better and not sure how HIP etc. will be with it.   Blender 3.5 - should be better for AMD cards but remains to be seen.