i5 8400 on windows 11 drawbacks?

kitnoman
Go to solution Solved by MingLee420,
3 minutes ago, kitnoman said:

So my girlfriend is using my old pc. She has her laptop but likes using a desktop at home. Currently, I'm still using win10 on my newer PC and don't know anything about win11. While, she's interested in upgrading since it's available in windows update. So, I understand that the i5 8400 8th gen supports it, but does it run well on it? Are there any drawbacks or performance lost  running win11 on i5 8400?

It's not the only computer here, but it's the one she likes using(other than my current pc) and the last thing I want to happen if there are any major drawbacks and she complains about it, is me googling and troubleshooting the i5 8400 pc  and just end up reinstall win10. Thanks for help in advance!

not really basically the same as windows 10 and running same cpu

So my girlfriend is using my old pc. She has her laptop but likes using a desktop at home. Currently, I'm still using win10 on my newer PC and don't know anything about win11. While, she's interested in upgrading since it's available in windows update. So, I understand that the i5 8400 8th gen supports it, but does it run well on it? Are there any drawbacks or performance lost  running win11 on i5 8400?

It's not the only computer here, but it's the one she likes using(other than my current pc) and the last thing I want to happen if there are any major drawbacks and she complains about it, is me googling and troubleshooting the i5 8400 pc  and just end up reinstall win10. Thanks for help in advance!

3 minutes ago, kitnoman said:

not really basically the same as windows 10 and running same cpu

Main:

• CPU
    10700k 5ghz All core 47 ring ratio 1.275v
  • Motherboard
    MSI Z590 A Pro
  • RAM
    4x8 viper steel samsung bdie: 4200-17-17-30
  • GPU
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming Oc
  • Case
    O11 air mini
  • Storage
    970 Evo Plus 500gb OS, Sn550 1tb, 860 evo 500gb, 2tb MX500
  • PSU
    RM750x (2018)
  • Display(s)
    Acer Nitro vg272up, Kogan 24 1080 120hz
  • Cooling
    arctic 280aio, EK M.2 NVMe Heatsink on 970 evo plus

Second: 
    Cpu: i5-8400
    Cooling: ID-Cooling Frostflow 120x
    Ram: 2x8gb 2666 c16 hyperx fury, tuned the absolute balls out of it but def not stehble.
    Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-K
    Gpu: Igpu
    Case: Coolermaster MB311L

Nothing bad will happen, underneath they're pretty similar. The new UI can take a bit to get used to, and realistically unless you're using a hybrid architecture CPU or an HDR monitor I don't see any reason to switch from Windows 10 to Windows 11, but if you like the new UI or just want to try something new go for it. 

Granted, nothing bad will happen if you do a clean install. If you want to do an in place upgrade, those can have issues on occasion (not often, but it's to the point where I wouldn't bother unless you already have a full system backup in case), and realistically for the best experience you should just do a clean install instead. IMO if you aren't prepared to go through a clean install, it's not really worth the risk of going through the upgrade. 

46 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Nothing bad will happen, underneath they're pretty similar. The new UI can take a bit to get used to, and realistically unless you're using a hybrid architecture CPU or an HDR monitor I don't see any reason to switch from Windows 10 to Windows 11, but if you like the new UI or just want to try something new go for it. 

Granted, nothing bad will happen if you do a clean install. If you want to do an in place upgrade, those can have issues on occasion (not often, but it's to the point where I wouldn't bother unless you already have a full system backup in case), and realistically for the best experience you should just do a clean install instead. IMO if you aren't prepared to go through a clean install, it's not really worth the risk of going through the upgrade. 

Literally the only reason I upgraded to windows 11 is because I run my secondary monitor vertically and I wanted to be able to snap to top and bottom half of screen for my programs. I usually have YouTube on bottom and discord on bottom. I haven’t seen much of a performance difference, most of the settings work the same way. I even shifted the task bar over to be the same design as windows 10.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

Got it. I thought it is like when win7 were upgraded to windows 10, wherein the OS become heavier and with a lot more processes. I'll tell her to upgrade it if she really wants too. But I really don't want to do a clean install, I'll probably just clone the drive first to an old ssd, I think that's much easier for me restore, if there's any issue after the upgrade. Again Thanks!