You CAN Game at 8K… but DON’T! (SPONSORED)

SeanLMG

Thanks to MSI for sponsoring this video! You can purchase your own RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G at https://geni.us/2CGki. If you're looking for a great 4K monitor for your gaming, check out the MSI Optix MPG321UR-QD at https://geni.us/3rjRBV

8K gaming is finally possible with the new RTX 4090, but does anyone REALLY care? How much of a difference can you even see in games on a giant 8K TV?

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

43 minutes ago, SeanLMG said:

Thanks to MSI for sponsoring this video! You can purchase your own RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G at https://geni.us/2CGki. 

Appears this link is a misspelled error 😁

2 minutes ago, TheCarGuy said:

Appears this link is a misspelled error 😁

The "." seems to have gotten looped into part of the hyperlink.

@SeanLMG

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Once again, I'm left to suspect that other than the LMG office, I'm the only person in in the world who purchased the Roccat Sova couch keyboard.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

At least the the price of many 8K TVs are the same price or lower than a 4090

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

DLSS 3.0 may well supplant the need for native 8k gaming (for now), but that doesn't invalidate the necessity of 8k displays.  An easy example of this is the Odyssey Ark--which has a fairly low PPI of 80.  8k on the Odyssey Ark (I wish) would have 160 PPI--which is nearly at the ~180 PPI threshold where personal experience has left me conclude is the upper limit on pixel density a user can visibly notice.

Also, do not put too much stock into THX standards for recommended viewing angles.  According to THX, my 40" monitor should be viewed from a distance of 4' to 6' away.  Coincidentally in the video, several people mentioned they felt like they were "far away" from the display.  I'm not saying THX is wrong here (though I firmly believe they are).  Best case, THX should be considered only for content/media viewing (movies/tv).  And even then, that's more of a band-aid mitigation against cinematography that looks like someone is holding down the F11 key on your browser; which will cause eyestrain if you are too close when viewing it.

I comfortably use my 40" monitor at no more than 3' away. 

1 hour ago, Senzelian said:

At least the bluescreen looked pretty sharp in 8K with Ryzen 7000.

Yea I think that is 100% ltt intel shill BS I mean would the CPU blue screen when changing resolution? lol if anything increasing the resolution is less demanding workload for the CPU because the GPU cant render that many frames to begin with. 
Or they just could have been so unlucky that they have a faulty mobo or soemthing. 

2 hours ago, SeanLMG said:

I was amazed at the girl (dont know her name) at 11:30 like she really gave an intelligent response in other words mentioned that the assets are low res so increasing the resolution wouldnt make such a big difference to begin with (to make that sink in imagine playing pacman in 1080p vs 720p you wouldnt be able to tell the difference simply because there isnt much detail in the assets/sprites for you to see ) 

The rest were classic ltt responses lol totally random/useless  opinions not better than asking my parents or my 8 yo nephew 😛 

As for 8K being stupid, I dont know I mean people had the same discussion for 1440p vs 1080p then for 4K  I think some people even though 720p is good enough and 1080p is just way to throw some money.. 

It surely is nice for GPU manufacturers to aim at higher resolutions though because the performance scales at lower resolutions (or you could render at 8K but without AA etc and then downscale to 4K and in that way have a better quality and framerate than 4K with full AA etc) 

Also being able e.g to play 8K at 180FPS would mean that you can play 4K VR @ 90 FPS which is nice, I think the main reason VR did not get big is that there is no hardware to meet quality VR performance (Which in my opinion should not be less than 2.5K per eye and less than 90 hz and that's being frugal ) 

Yes the actual headset costs a lot but I think its a loop it costs a lot because people dont buy them that much people dont buy them that much because they cant buy a pc that can push them devs dont make much stuff because people dont buy them that much etc. 

If we reach to a point where you can buy a GPU with  300-500 bucks and be able to play 8K @ 200 FPS I think VR will become mainstream the same year or maximum the year after. 

i was original going to write about how 5k aka 5120 × 2880 would be worth it.

the thing is unless you sit close to your screen and you move your head in to get a better look at something every now and then your not getting any benefit.

the only thing 8k would be better for is 480p becomes a clean 9x scale at 8k, at 4k it's 4.5x also with that extra rez you could "emulate" the look of other screen tech

14 hours ago, Asbo Zapruder said:

For those who saw this card sponsored on Jays channel as well and are wondering why MSI is making such a big push, it's because even during the GPU shortage you could easily find a water-cooled card at most retailers, because even then nobody was stupid enough to buy one.

Sadly MSI has decided to try a marketing push instead of just abandoning the concept, and equally sadly Linus is willing to take their money to advertise an inherently flawed product while ignoring that aspect and hiding behind the flimsy-ass defence of "wE wErEn'T tEcHnIcHaLlY rEvIeWiNg ThE cArD!"

Honestly I think a water cooled card makes more sense than ever with the absolute monoliths being used on air cooled 4090s. If it actually sells at MSI's $1,750 USD price point it's in the same ballpark as "midrange" air coolers, $250 USD less than the hilariously priced Strix, or $150 USD more than the "cheapest" models. If you're the type to throw two thousand USD at a GPU, a liquid cooled GPU might be the way to go this gen. You could find them at retailers during the GPU shortage because for some reason retailers marked them up higher than scalpers were selling air cooled cards for, not because liquid cooling is a flawed design.

That said this is all meaningless to the rest of us that aren't even considering buying a 4090. It's like a car show at this point, just gawking at rich people's toys.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

1 hour ago, BobVonBob said:

Honestly I think a water cooled card makes more sense than ever with the absolute monoliths being used on air cooled 4090s.

Unless there's a way to refill the loop I don't think one of these cards ever makes sense. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

6 hours ago, Senzelian said:

At least the bluescreen looked pretty sharp in 8K with Ryzen 7000.

I'm picturing the Microsoft default display driver kicking in, walking into the room, and just falling to its knees in despair at the sheer number of pixels it's just been tasked with painting. 

It took, what, almost a second to fill the whole screen with blue?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

5 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

I'm picturing the Microsoft default display driver kicking in, walking into the room, and just falling to its knees in despair at the sheer number of pixels it's just been tasked with painting. 

It took, what, almost a second to fill the whole screen with blue?

that made me laugh

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

There is a technology where 8k gaming makes a HUGE clarity boost. Its also the one where you r "sitting" 1 inch from a screen. But i guess nobody cares.

What is the keyboard or the pad holding the keyboard linus is using?

raise the question if the texture in those games are actually 8k or even 4k.

if the textures are 1080p , it won't change that much if you upscale them to 8k.

1 hour ago, JEskandari said:

raise the question if the texture in those games are actually 8k or even 4k.

if the textures are 1080p , it won't change that much if you upscale them to 8k.

general it sub 1080p . most are still in sd with low grade hdr(cant past basic hdr standard)

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

9 hours ago, LeapFrogMasterRace said:

At this rate 1440p will be king for another 6 years if it takes a 4090 to run games at 4k without DLSS. 

amen to that bro, console gaming (along with Nvidia high rank drifters )  has just destroyed PC gaming we are served same sh1t in slightly different form get mostly buggy ports etc. 

4K 200+ FPS @ about 300-400 usd (per GPU) should be a reality at least since 2018 

Not even today we can say that we really can play 4K even if spending $1500 for a 4090 because all games are crapy console ports with low res assets setting the game to 4K just makes it increase the dots on the frame it has not more detail cause all the textures etc are low res. 

5 hours ago, ZEPOPA said:

There is a technology where 8k gaming makes a HUGE clarity boost. Its also the one where you r "sitting" 1 inch from a screen. But i guess nobody cares.

They mention VR after the MSI monitor ad at the end of the video. Complete with that clip of Linus playing a VR game in his underwear that always makes me double take.

Regarding the comments about texture resolution both in the video and in this thread, texture resolution and screen resolution are different things. Textures get squished, stretched, and moved every which way on every object in the game world to the point that there's no correlation between texture resolution and screen resolution. You don't need a 4K screen to benefit from 4K textures, nor do you need 4K textures for an object to look sharper on a 4K vs a 1080p screen.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

I completely disagree with everything he says. "8K" gaming is important for those of us with triple 4K monitors. I have to use 3 PCs to run MSFS 2020 as a single PC with a 3090 isn't powerful enough.

2 hours ago, papajo said:

amen to that bro, console gaming (along with Nvidia high rank drifters )  has just destroyed PC gaming we are served same sh1t in slightly different form get mostly buggy ports etc. 

4K 200+ FPS @ about 300-400 usd (per GPU) should be a reality at least since 2018 

Not even today we can say that we really can play 4K even if spending $1500 for a 4090 because all games are crapy console ports with low res assets setting the game to 4K just makes it increase the dots on the frame it has not more detail cause all the textures etc are low res. 

Been saying that for years.  Games started to go downhill when annual refreshes became a thing.  When in-game, freemium purchases became a thing.  Companies only want games to print endless streams of money--they don't actually care about quality, pushing the envelope, etc.

To me, gaming peaked with Make Something Unreal Contest.

3 hours ago, papajo said:

average consumer wont pay for more bust size/vram size.

also most engine would have to be ground up design.  that wont happen ether. unless forced.

2 hours ago, dogwitch said:

average consumer wont pay for more bust size/vram size.

average consumer pays a lot more than what he gets in return that's one of the main issues. 

2 hours ago, dogwitch said:

also most engine would have to be ground up design.  that wont happen ether. unless forced.

Yea what I can't understand about kids these days is how you say something that is obviously wrong but because it is happening you perceive it as being a defacto standard. 

It is like one saying "lets bad heroine because to many people die from it" 

And you saying "people still going to find heroine so its pointless to do something" 

5 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

You don't need a 4K screen to benefit from 4K textures, nor do you need 4K textures for an object to look sharper on a 4K vs a 1080p screen.

That's like totally wrong.. 

If you dont have a 4K screen you wont be able to tell the difference (or the difference will be smaller ) in a 1080p screen when playing a game with 4K textures. 

4K textures have more detail lol.

But there is no reason to have 4K textures if you are going to play at 1080p screen because 1080p textures will look almost as good (there is still a reason to have 4K textures on a 1080p screen but the benifit is not that great, its the same reason why rendering on 4K and then downscaling it to 1080p and play it on a 1080p monitor is slightly better in quality than rendering at 1080p while playing on a 1080p monitor) 

There is a huge difference though if you have a 4K (or especially an 8K) monitor and the textures are 720p or lower

2126-0-1480498375.jpg

Like I am currently on a 32" 1440p screen and still can see the difference even on the zoomed out part lol