Is there a box for what I want?

LloydLynx

I want a box that can switch between a few inputs and have one output. The thing that makes this hard to find is what intputs/output I want. I need the intputs to be at least 2 HDMI, a VGA, and preferably also some composite+audio and possibly other common PC video connectors. I need the output to be component+audio. And of course I need audio to be carried through on inputs that support it, like HDMI. 

The reason I want this is because I'm getting a practically new 24" CRT made in the ditigal TV era, and the highest quality input it has is component+audio. It's gonna replace my little flat panel LCD TV. 

I'm looking for something sub $50 USD, that I don't have to sign up for some account to purchase like you do on Amazon. 

It's starting to look like the cheapest way to do this is dongle hell. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

NGL your a god damn lynx, if its a box if you fits you sit. Come on this is basic cat etiquette. /s

You are asking quite a lot for something that i dont think is going to come sub 50 without being VERY specific for the use case. Also make sure your linux distro will not have any issues with it. Besides a quick search, is there any specific converters or things you had in mind?  Because it does indeed sound like its about to be dongle hell

25 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

is there any specific converters or things you had in mind?  Because it does indeed sound like its about to be dongle hell

Had this in mind. 

Spoiler

109885993_livingroomsetup.thumb.png.0a07b5040b803332eef9d4e1c13995d8.png

It comes to ~$40 buying from ebay. Now that I draw it out, I don't think I need the HDMI splitter, at least not for now. That'll save $9. 

29 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

NGL your a god damn lynx, if its a box if you fits you sit. Come on this is basic cat etiquette. /s

Someone finally recognizes me for who I am /jk

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

There are boxes that will take multiple of the same input connector and turn them into an output of that same connector. I haven't looked, but I'm confident in saying there is no single device that will switch between HDMI, VGA, and component and output to component, and I'm certain that nothing does it for less than $500 USD, let alone $50 USD.

There are some old AV receivers that will take those inputs and output to HDMI, notably the Onkyo TX-NR609, which you can then convert to component, but on a quick ebay search they all seem to be either broken or $200 USD.

I suspect the cheapest route is dongle hell.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

https://www.amazon.ca/Awakelion-Switcher-Wireless-adapter-supports/dp/B06WV5YJ6H/ref=mp_s_a_1_18?keywords=hdmi+switch

https://www.amazon.ca/Benfei-Input-Adapter-Support-Resolution/dp/B07K14NR8P/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=Vga+to+hdmi

https://www.amazon.ca/GANA-Composite-Converter-Adapter-Supporting/dp/B06W9K12C5/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=composite+to+hdmi

This is literally my setup, I use multiple of the rca adapters and they do just fine for casual gaming, the vga to hdmi is a bit flaky if you turn on a computer and then plug it in but if it's already plugged in when you switch to the input it's never had an issue.

Hdmi switch is nothing special but the IR remote is convenient, little heads up that some of the functions on a benq projector remote use the same codes so when I adjust keystone on the projector it switches input on the hdmi switch. Super niche problem lol

Unfortunately you are stuck with something like this

https://www.amazon.ca/SUNNATCH-Component-Converter-Function-Aluminum/dp/B08L6DQJSH/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?keywords=hdmi+to+component+converter

I can't think of any device which does all the things you want outside of pro video gear or run everything into a common connector then convert

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it