usb tv tuner for android tv that works in australia

Salv8 (sam)

i've been looking for one for months for my parents as a present.

only problem is that i've been unable to find one.

and yes i know things such as HDhomerun exist, but i want to to be as simple as possible so it has less of a chance of going wrong.

the criteara is as follows:

• has to work on android tv WITHOUT third-party apps (no stupid FREE TV OTA APP 美好生活 2022)
  • has to be usb (i don't wanna run a server for their tv, bloody waste of power)
  • has to work in australia (i think we use DTV-2 or something and the u.s uses ACTV or something)

please help...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

If they have a smart TV already, then tv watching/ timeshifting/ recording would already be supported, just put a USB thumb drive for storage.  I'm guessing this is not the case?

Unfortunately google has recently removed USB tv tuner support for their android tv products ( I have an Nvidia shield tv ) , so it will be difficult to enable it.  I have a HDHomerun on my network with a Synology NAS running tvheadend.  It's a bit to config but works like a dream.

In the end tho, ease of setup and use, I'd recommend a smart tv and a thumb drive.

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log