Plex Server Configurations

I have had a Plex server running on a QNAP device, and although the NAS itself is fine, I don't think that the Plex server on it is the best way to go.  I have been told that running a Plex server on a VM is one idea, and although the networking side of that I understand how to do, I am not sure if that is the best way to go.  What about GPU Hardware acceleration?  Is that something you can port through on a VM?  What is the best value solution?

1 hour ago, casobs2 said:

I have had a Plex server running on a QNAP device, and although the NAS itself is fine, I don't think that the Plex server on it is the best way to go.  I have been told that running a Plex server on a VM is one idea, and although the networking side of that I understand how to do, I am not sure if that is the best way to go.  What about GPU Hardware acceleration?  Is that something you can port through on a VM?  What is the best value solution?

It depends on the vm host OS. Most (all?) decent hypervisors will support gpu passthrough to the vm. There may be limitations, but let's start with what hardware and OS you plan on using.

Could you provide more information on the hardware and software you are using? Plex will run well on just about anything. Im running mine in a docker on Unraid with GPU passthrough