Sony A95K vs LG C2

Hello all. I'm on the market to get myself a new TV as my current Sony 4K LCD panel is struggling more and more with HDR content.

I've done some extensive research in regards to OLED vs QLED vs QD-OLED and my current conclusion is QD-OLED is theoretically best for color accuracy, brightness and longevity. But LG has made great improvements in the OLED category to boost brightness peaks and longevity.

Also the prices are night and day. The features however when comparing on general websites are essentially the same, only LG is sticking to their doubtful WebOS while Sony has only 2 HDMI 2.1 inputs (both issues are of little importance to me)

Power consumption are samy as well and sound is a non-factor since I have a home theater setup.

Something to take into account however is my TV is facing a window and it's really not working out right now. I believe a good dose of brightness would mitigate our issue (we're not planning to relocate the TV setup and our solution is to just close the lids when things are impossible to watch). But I think both TVs are toe to toe in terms of brightness aren't they?

Do you guys have any other argument to tip the balance between the two?

Right now price is the biggest factor to me but I remain open-minded.

Thanks for your input.

How long are you going to keep it and have you considered window blinds?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

How long are you going to keep it and have you considered window blinds?

As long as possible and yes we have window blinds but they arent electric, so we close them only when watching a very dark show during the day.

9 minutes ago, macromaster said:

As long as possible and yes we have window blinds but they arent electric, so we close them only when watching a very dark show during the day.

Both OLED and QD oled have limited lifespans but the QDOLED has a much longer one. “As long as possible” will be a lot longer with the QDOLED.  Since the length of ownership eats some of the cost because it has a longer lifespan, my temptation would be to go with the QDOLED.  QDOLED has a fairly large early adopter tax right now and if you could hold out for the next release the chances are pretty high that prices will go down. They seem to be doing it more slowly than expected though. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Both OLED and QD oled have limited lifespans but the QDOLED has a much longer one. “As long as possible” will be a lot longer with the QDOLED.  Since the length of ownership eats some of the cost because it has a longer lifespan, my temptation would be to go with the QDOLED.

I see. Although I've seen videos showcasing little to no burn-in on old used OLED TVs except when used as monitors, which would not be my case. And I heard the latest LG OLED TVs have even more features to prevent burn-in so 🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, macromaster said:

I see. Although I've seen videos showcasing little to no burn-in on old used OLED TVs except when used as monitors, which would not be my case. And I heard the latest LG OLED TVs have even more features to prevent burn-in so 🤷‍♂️

All those also work on QDOLED too though.  This is why I was looking for a number on the use length thing. 

In terms of value LG is way better. It's like paying 2 times extra to chase the last few percent in terms of image quality. If you can afford to do that then Sony is better overall. 

From my perspective LG is a better buy, get it for reasonable price now and then get a 4th or 5th generation QDOLED when it becomes affordable. 

Edit: I must clarify that I have LG CX OLED so it might just be me coping about not having the latest thing. 😂

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

27 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

In terms of value LG is way better. It's like paying 2 times extra to chase the last few percent in terms of image quality. If you can afford to do that then Sony is better overall. 

From my perspective LG is a better buy, get it for reasonable price now and then get a 4th or 5th generation QDOLED when it becomes affordable. 

Edit: I must clarify that I have LG CX OLED so it might just be me coping about not having the latest thing. 😂

That's pretty much how I was viewing it.

Come to think about longevity now I guess it's really hard to determine. My TV lasted for 5 years (and still running btw) before I felt the urge to upgrade (mainly because of how House of Dragon renders on it). So who knowes what comes in the next 5 years.

And therefore, is there really a point in paying almost double the price for so little added value. Maybe prevent e-waste, idk...

7 minutes ago, macromaster said:

That's pretty much how I was viewing it.

Come to think about longevity now I guess it's really hard to determine. My TV lasted for 5 years (and still running btw) before I felt the urge to upgrade (mainly because of how House of Dragon renders on it). So who knowes what comes in the next 5 years.

And therefore, is there really a point in paying almost double the price for so little added value. Maybe prevent e-waste, idk...

House of Dragon doesn't work on all TV's. You pretty much have to watch it in SDR. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

6 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

House of Dragon doesn't work on all TV's. You pretty much have to watch it in SDR. 

Oh! Very interesting, thx for the link!

I have a Sony A80J OLED (not QD-OLED) and it's fantastic - best TV I ever owned. It was slightly more expensive than the LG comparable (C1), but it also had slightly better picture quality, so it was worth the upgrade to me.

QD-OLED is supposed to be a game changer, so I'm hoping by the time my OLED dies QD-OLEDs have come down in price.

IMO if you can afford to go QD-OLED, do it. Otherwise, standard OLED is still amazing. I would consider the A80J along with the LG OLED, IMO.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 10/18/2022 at 6:16 AM, ZetZet said:

Granted, I haven't seen every episode yet, but I've been watching House of the Dragon on my HDR OLED TV (Sony A80J) and I haven't noticed any odd visuals. I'm pretty sure CraveTV offers HDR for it.

I'll have to keep an eye out for that specific scene, but I definitely haven't encountered anything like that in the show yet.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)