Trying to make a custom dashcam solution for large company vans

Spart0n

So I work closely with some friends that work with those large vans with no rearview mirror and they sometimes have trailers. Their problem is that where they go they can't have those super wide side mirrors so their vision is VERY limited. Their main issue is not during driving but it is a consideration, mostly it's for backing up and moving around work areas. They've been trying to solve this for years and have asked me for some input. And I have 2 ideas this far and want some others input.

There are enterprise solutions to this problem that aren't cost effective for this company and are hoping to find/design something cheaper

1. Use 2 separate dashcams with screens that can always show the back view on the screen and use really wide cameras and put one on each corner of the van in the back so they can get a side and back view.

2. A small dvr with a tablet possibly wired in and have 2 or 3 cheap wifi cameras just wired into back lights or something and connected with WiFi and have that as needed.

"Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling... Makes no difference. The degree is arbitrary. The definition is blurred. If I'm to choose between one evil and another... I'd rather not choose at all." -Geralt of Riva

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." -Q

Tempus Fugit

have you considered the RV backup camera systems? most have 2 channel dvr monitors and a normal backup camera and trailer camera but if you used the splitscreen for left rear right rear cameras it should work well.

even ideal case DIY you're looking at $25 per camera and a $50-80 screen so you're basically at the price of systems like https://www.amazon.com/Rearview-Function-Monitor-Waterproof-Trailer/dp/B0B6FDGYMZ/ anyway.

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

On 10/15/2022 at 9:41 PM, GhostRoadieBL said:

have you considered the RV backup camera systems? most have 2 channel dvr monitors and a normal backup camera and trailer camera but if you used the splitscreen for left rear right rear cameras it should work well.

even ideal case DIY you're looking at $25 per camera and a $50-80 screen so you're basically at the price of systems like https://www.amazon.com/Rearview-Function-Monitor-Waterproof-Trailer/dp/B0B6FDGYMZ/ anyway.

Yep I had not considered that was even a thing. Brought that up and they were dumbfounded they hadn't thought about it. 

"Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling... Makes no difference. The degree is arbitrary. The definition is blurred. If I'm to choose between one evil and another... I'd rather not choose at all." -Geralt of Riva

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." -Q

Tempus Fugit