The Apple TV 4k is actually worth it

Just grabbed the Apple TV 4k for $109 from Amazon. I have the Sony X85J with built in Google TV. This is the first "nicer" tv I've owned.

Picture quality blew me away but the OS was slow. I thought it was my internet causing it to buffer, lose connection, etc. Nope. Its the including streaming google tv stick thingy.

The Apple TV Blows it away. Noticeably better picture quality, much better remote, and most importantly, LIGHTYEARS FASTER. No more dropouts and buffering. 

Best $100 bucks spent ever if you are a cable cutter like me and only have streaming. 

It's not worth it at full price $179 compared to $50 Google Chromecast with Google TV or Firestick 4k, but it's definitely worth it at the current sale price, just thought I'd share 

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

It is absolutely worth it at full price lol but of course it's better with a discount

I paid full price for the 64 GB model at release bc my 2016 Samsung tv was giving us a lot of trouble. AND it never did what I told it to. Delete apps... they come back. Disable microphone, ads all day and night about things we were discussing. Very creepy. Constant updates but Samsung doesn't make the change log available to the public. Great tv, absolutely SHIT company.

Then I got a fire tv, and it claims it can support all these different features like atmos, dtsx, etc., but none of the apps support it on the fire tv. They do on the apple tv!

Never looking back. My only issue with the remote is the Siri button. Way too dang easy to press.

I know I sound like a fanboy but I don't think the current sale prices are justified. It's a much better product than its competition.

1 minute ago, johnt said:

It is absolutely worth it at full price lol but of course it's better with a discount

I paid full price for the 64 GB model at release bc my 2016 Samsung tv was giving us a lot of trouble. AND it never did what I told it to. Delete apps... they come back. Disable microphone, ads all day and night about things we were discussing. Very creepy. Constant updates but Samsung doesn't make the change log available to the public. Great tv, absolutely SHIT company.

Then I got a fire tv, and it claims it can support all these different features like atmos, dtsx, etc., but none of the apps support it on the fire tv. They do on the apple tv!

Never looking back. My only issue with the remote is the Siri button. Way too dang easy to press.

I know I sound like a fanboy but I don't think the current sale prices are justified. It's a much better product than its competition.

Yup. Just like every Apple product I've owned "It just works".

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

3 minutes ago, CHICKSLAYA said:

Just grabbed the Apple TV 4k for $109 from Amazon. I have the Sony X85J with built in Google TV. This is the first "nicer" tv I've owned.

Picture quality blew me away but the OS was slow. I thought it was my internet causing it to buffer, lose connection, etc. Nope. Its the including streaming google tv stick thingy.

The Apple TV Blows it away. Noticeably better picture quality, much better remote, and most importantly, LIGHTYEARS FASTER. No more dropouts and buffering. 

Best $100 bucks spent ever if you are a cable cutter like me and only have streaming. 

It's not worth it at full price $179 compared to $50 Google Chromecast with Google TV or Firestick 4k, but it's definitely worth it at the current sale price, just thought I'd share 

I like to think of the Apple TV 4K as the catch-all box. That is, it's great for the features and services that are lacking on your TV's built-in platform. It's usually faster, and I'm still using apps that don't have native versions on common TV sets. For example, I use the CBC Gem app to stream live news — it's non-existent on LG and Samsung TVs, but works beautifully on Apple TV. I'm sure devices like the Chromecast and Fire TV Stick can do a good-enough job, but they aren't quite as powerful.

As a side note... that's a pretty damning commentary on Sony's built-in hardware if it can't even keep up with video playback. My 2017-era LG TV doesn't have that problem, and it's playing the latest 4K HDR content!

2 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I'm sure devices like the Chromecast and Fire TV Stick can do a good-enough job, but they aren't quite as powerful.

Lol..... The 2021 Apple TV 4k uses the A12 Bionic. It runs circles around the Fire TV 4k and the Chomecast with Google TV. I am not sure if there is a graph somewhere or something but I am fairly certain that chip is like 4-5x as powerful as whatever is in those two. It's not 4-5 times faster in actual operation, but it has tremendous headroom nevertheless

2 minutes ago, CHICKSLAYA said:

Lol..... The 2021 Apple TV 4k uses the A12 Bionic. It runs circles around the Fire TV 4k and the Chomecast with Google TV. I am not sure if there is a graph somewhere or something but I am fairly certain that chip is like 4-5x as powerful as whatever is in those two. It's not 4-5 times faster in actual operation, but it has tremendous headroom nevertheless

Oh, I'm sure — I'm talking more about real-world use. You shouldn't see Disney+ or Netflix choke while you're watching a show.

4 minutes ago, CHICKSLAYA said:

"It just works".

I have issues with some of their products, like their homepods. I have 2 connected to my apple tv and it's a bit frustrating. No syncing issues, but there is definitely a lag upfront when starting any video. I would really like to see a wired connection between a future apple tv and at least 2 homepods.

5 minutes ago, Commodus said:

nd it's playing the latest 4K HDR content

A lot of TVs have built in software that is very crummy and slow, and some apps just won't support all the features of the TV. It's confusing to me why they even bother to include it at all. Like Disney+ won't play 4k or HDR while using the app on my 2016 Samsung tv, but it has no problems playing 4k/HDR content from the apple tv.

1 minute ago, Commodus said:

Oh, I'm sure — I'm talking more about real-world use. You shouldn't see Disney+ or Netflix choke while you're watching a show.

Oh yeah I see your point. I haven't had issues with Disney+ and Netflix specifically on the Sony. Those two seem better optimized for whatever reason. 

HBOMax, Hulu, and ESPECIALLY Discovery+ (for the wife....), all run like hot garbage on the included Sony GoogleTV Software though. They are all slow as molasses and buffer like crazy.

On the AppleTV they're all instant