Are AIO GPUs worth it in the long term? Are they reliable?

Go to solution Solved by ZetZet,

They can last a lot longer than 3 years, or not. I would say they are perfectly fine, however air cooled GPU's will hold their value better in used market, no one wants to buy a used AIO. 

IIRC in another post someone said that AIOs tend to last around 3 years (give or take). Also there's the chance of leaks.

I saw the 4090 Suprim AIO version and got me thinking about this 🤔

They can last a lot longer than 3 years, or not. I would say they are perfectly fine, however air cooled GPU's will hold their value better in used market, no one wants to buy a used AIO. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

1 minute ago, ZetZet said:

Only issue with aircooled GPUs is the fans are more likely to die out before the GPU

1 minute ago, Noble3212 said:

Only issue with aircooled GPUs is the fans are more likely to die out before the GPU

So stick whatever fan on and you're good. Not to mention you can get replacement fans for pretty much any model. I've never had a gpu fan die in my life yet. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

1 minute ago, ZetZet said:

So stick whatever fan on and you're good. Not to mention you can get replacement fans for pretty much any model. I've never had a gpu fan die in my life yet. 

I've seen it once on a 12 year old 280X I pulled from a system that I swear was never dusted. It still functioned, it just rattled slightly. 

Besides, fans dying are still likely to happen on AIO cards as well (they've still got a fan for the VRM in addition to the ones on the radiator), and the pump is far less reliable than the fans it has. 

I tend to prefer the gpu + alphacool aio block combo. Since that is standardized stuff and about the same price as a version aio gpu.

Also replaceable in every eay and higher quality.

Bought an aftermarket GPU AIO with QR fittings (Alphacool Eiswolf2), it's easy to maintain so will last until the pump fails... But even then I could connect it to my CPU pump!

Overall it'll last as long as the GPU...

But watercooled GPU from AIB like the suprim X cannot be maintained so it's less durable 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 / ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

37 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I tend to prefer the gpu + alphacool aio block combo.

So you buy any GPU then install yourself the AIO?

2 minutes ago, Hi P said:

yh thats the idea

1 minute ago, Tomberry said:

yh thats the idea

That sounds scary, but definitely interesting 😅

6 minutes ago, Hi P said:

Any COMPATIBLE gpu. Alphacool has a very clear list about that.

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Any COMPATIBLE gpu. Alphacool has a very clear list about that.

Is AlphaCool the go-to for GPU AIOs?

6 minutes ago, Hi P said:

Is AlphaCool the go-to for GPU AIOs?

For me yes. It's more expensive than the "universal" ones but at least it cools them properly and it's right in the middle of the pricebracket. You get all the performance but dont pay the brand premium.