Beelink SER5 question

Sarra

I'm planning on buying a Beelink SER5 Ryzen 5560u mini-PC. The machine comes with a WiFi 6/Bluetooth 5.2 module, if I remove this module, can I use an adapter to reallocate the slot (I think it's U.2, but I'm not sure) for a second NVME SSD? I'm thinking about running a 250 GB Samsung 970 SSD for the boot drive, but if I could put a second drive in for backup, that would be awesome. I'm planning on running Ubunbu on this, with the machine being configured to run headless as a print server/audio server/3D Printer server/backup YouTube watching machine. I will literally have a 10GB/multigig network switch attached to the back of this machine, so wireless of any kind is really unnecessary.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

You can't. Wifi cards usually have different keyed M.2 slots, looking inside your mini PC has A+E key card, there are no m.2 ssds with that. 

12-Inside-3-980x618.jpg

Just get an external SSD and plug it in via USB. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

23 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

You can't. Wifi cards usually have different keyed M.2 slots, looking inside your mini PC has A+E key card, there are no m.2 ssds with that. 

12-Inside-3-980x618.jpg

Just get an external SSD and plug it in via USB. 

There is an adapter that lets you turn that M.2 WIFI port into a standard M.2 port, or PCIE 4X port.

The listing for it says it has an open internal SATA drive option, so that might be the way to go. I'll just have to disable/remove the WiFi card. Toss it in a box and forget about it, I guess.

Edit: Nyah: https://www.amazon.com/M-2-PCIe-Converter-Bluetooth-2010-2016/dp/B083YW3RM3

12 minutes ago, Sarra said:

There is an adapter that lets you turn that M.2 WIFI port into a standard M.2 port, or PCIE 4X port.

The listing for it says it has an open internal SATA drive option, so that might be the way to go. I'll just have to disable/remove the WiFi card. Toss it in a box and forget about it, I guess.

Edit: Nyah: https://www.amazon.com/M-2-PCIe-Converter-Bluetooth-2010-2016/dp/B083YW3RM3

Well yeah, so it's backwards, you need to turn a wifi keyed slot into ssd instead. Not to mention your slot is the shortest one available 2230, so adapter would have no room. Internal SATA or external via USB are definitely the ways to go. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

34 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

Well yeah, so it's backwards, you need to turn a wifi keyed slot into ssd instead. Not to mention your slot is the shortest one available 2230, so adapter would have no room. Internal SATA or external via USB are definitely the ways to go. 

I'll just pull the WiFi chip, and put a SATA internal second drive in it.