Wait on the Nreal Airs?

kennethk

I'm a bit iffy and hesitant to spend another $400 on a pair of tech this year but these eyeglasses are definitely well eye catching, anyone actually bought them that they can say makes it worth it? 

Their website is pure ass. o.x

The product looks neat, maybe someone will do a video or three on them?

Who am I kidding, I just want to watch Linus butcher their name in a sponsored video. 

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

Bitwit has video about them:

My first, last and only thought: So, Google Glass has made comeback after what, 7 years?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

Bitwit has video about them

A SPONSORED video about them.  

Won't deliver to Canada for some reason.  

I would wait. 

5 hours ago, Heliian said:

I would wait. 

Exactly it's so hard to trust sponsored videos but it looks like such a cool piece of tech

11 hours ago, Heliian said:

I would wait. 

5 hours ago, kennethk said:

Exactly it's so hard to trust sponsored videos but it looks like such a cool piece of tech

So Bitwit has gone from trusted to shill?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

So Bitwit has gone from trusted to shill?

Don't even know who the dude is but I do know that sponsorships should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not going to get something for free that expensive and talk crap on it.

16 minutes ago, kennethk said:

Don't even know who the dude is but I do know that sponsorships should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not going to get something for free that expensive and talk crap on it.

You might not, but someone else might. Thats called journalistic freedom. Not to take this completely off-topic, but that was what GN vs Nvidia thing not-so-long-ago was all about. Bitwit aka Kyle is one of the original Newegg Youtube channel hosts and considered among the better known tech-tubers. He has made collabs with Linus multiple times.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

15 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

You might not, but someone else might. Thats called journalistic freedom. Not to take this completely off-topic, but that was what GN vs Nvidia thing not-so-long-ago was all about. Bitwit aka Kyle is one of the original Newegg Youtube channel hosts and considered among the better known tech-tubers. He has made collabs with Linus multiple times.

Sometimes it's better to get advice from general users than it is a popular YouTuber 

2 minutes ago, kennethk said:

Sometimes it's better to get advice from general users than it is a popular YouTuber 

Considering its new product, and very expensive, I don't think you will get any regular folks reviews anytime soon.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Doesn't matter who made the video. 

A sponsored piece of content will always not be as trustworthy as non-sponsored. 

We don't know what the agreement between the two parties says nor do we know how the reviewer is affected (consciously or subconsciously) by being paid by the manufacturer. 

A sponsored piece of content should, in my opinion, be viewed the same way an ad on a TV channel is viewed. 

Also, let's not pretend like being a known influencers on youtube inherently means you can be trusted. Especially not one whose credentials were "working in marketing tech products for a store". 

45 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Doesn't matter who made the video. 

A sponsored piece of content will always not be as trustworthy as non-sponsored. 

We don't know what the agreement between the two parties says nor do we know how the reviewer is affected (consciously or subconsciously) by being paid by the manufacturer. 

I didn't claim such. But there's huge difference between lying about specs (reviewers integrity) and giving positive focused review (paid review) and the middleground where product is given for free and review is still honest and non-biased. Do we know what side any youtuber who got the product for free is doing? Probably not. But if none of them raise questions and negative sides, then they all have been paid to be silent.

Still, if they have integrity, they have option to choose their side. And also option to not sign any contract that would violate their integrity.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

60hz? Hard pass.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

A sponsored video is not the same as an impartial review, but that doesn't negate all its value. A sponsored video is just a marketing piece going over positive talking points or other relevant things that viewers/potential customers may find informative about the service or product.

That being said, there are unscrupulous companies that find influencers that lack integrity to push misleading information or gloss over things that would be critiqued during an actual review. But on the flipside, there are also plenty of Youtubers that have called out companies or that have enough power to make sure sponsored videos are as factual and as neutral as possible.