do itx motherboards realy draw less power than atx? (answered )

BixxPlays

hello I have been using the outervision psu calculator for years but i have an upcoming build and need advice. The outer vision psu calculator shows that itx and atx motherboards use different amounts of power is this true? all things being equal the same components attached to the board should be quite simiar power draw so i find it confusing that an itx system can draw so much less this doesn't seem right to me. any help clearing this up would be most helpful.

1 minute ago, BixxPlays said:

hello I have been using the outervision psu calculator for years but i have an upcoming build and need advice. The outer vision psu calculator shows that itx and atx motherboards use different amounts of power is this true? all things being equal the same components attached to the board should be quite simiar power draw so i find it confusing that an itx system can draw so much less this doesn't seem right to me. any help clearing this up would be most helpful.

Not really and dont use PSU calc. What is the specs of the system?

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Less expansion slots means less signal amplification stuff and less additional components on the board. But the difference is going to be negligible, especially in the days of 750-1000W power supplies that we exist in now. 

And yeah, PSU calcs are pretty much pointless. Just get whatever PSU your chosen GPU recommends and that's it. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

@DoctorNickthank you for the quick responce its a ryzen 5700x with an nvidia a4000 i just notice that for some reason that calculator has a massive difrence in the power draw it shows spacififcly when looking at the 3.3 and 5 volt rails so was concerned as i will likely be using a silverstone flex atx powersupply because of space constraints

@ZetZetyah i figured it should be barely any diffrence but as i said in my responce to DoctorNick i was concerned becaus smaller units ment for itx builds generaly have weaker 3.3 and 5 volt rails

Very little in modern computers uses 3.3v and 5v. 

The RAM may be powered from 5v using a dc-dc converter ... a ram stick consumes maybe 2-3 watts, so if you have two sticks consuming 5w in total, that's 1A of current from 5v. 

The onboard audio and onboard network may be powered from 5v and 3.3v, but that's also just 1-2 watts each, at most. Chipset is powered from 5v stand-by and/or 5w, that's also  under 10 watts. Basic "rule" is if it only has a passive heatsink and you can hold your finger on it without burning your skin, that consumes less than 5-7 watts. The USB controllers are powered with 5v, so you get maybe 1-2 watts for the keyboard and mouse on 5v

The CPU and video card are powered by 12v. PCI-e slots do have 3.3v up to 3A (10 watts) available for video cards, but not all use all of that (maybe 3-5w for stand-by) besides around 65w on 12v 

24 minutes ago, BixxPlays said:

@DoctorNickthank you for the quick responce its a ryzen 5700x with an nvidia a4000 i just notice that for some reason that calculator has a massive difrence in the power draw it shows spacififcly when looking at the 3.3 and 5 volt rails so was concerned as i will likely be using a silverstone flex atx powersupply because of space constraints

For that config a decent 500W is plenty.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

thank you for your replys everyone i am going to end the thread here