Motherboard CPU Power Socket is loose

mrg0lden

UPDATE

Hello,

I was building a new computer, installed everything, plugged every cable. When it was time to boot the thing up, RGB lights were on before I started the system. Then when I started the system, the debug light besides "DRAM" was lighting up. The RAM was installed properly. I forced the system to shutdown by long-pressing the power button until all the fans stopped, but the RGB lights stayed on. I tried different RAM configurations (before that it was exactly as shown in the MOBO manual), even single sticks, different slots, but nothing shows. I then tried a stick from a different kit that's known to be working, but still nothing. The power cables are all well connected, I tried unplugging and re-plugging the main power cable a few times, but still, nothing shows.

Is there any hope for this system or do I have to see which parts are salvageable and start over? 馃様

The parts used

AMD 5800x

Asus B550-F ROG STRIX

Kingstone 16x2 32GB kit

NZXT 1000W PSW

AMD 7950 GPU (I know it's old, I'm only using it for testing)

No Storage devices are attached at the moment

First thing is to reset the cmos on the motherboard by shorting the correct pins.

I did, but nothing happened. I removed the battery and unplugged the system, which I believe leads to the same result. I will wait for a couple of minutes then try again.

1 hour ago, mrg0lden said:

Hello,

I was building a new computer, installed everything, plugged every cable. When it was time to boot the thing up, RGB lights were on before I started the system. Then when I started the system, the debug light besides "DRAM" was lighting up. The RAM was installed properly. I forced the system to shutdown by long-pressing the power button until all the fans stopped, but the RGB lights stayed on. I tried different RAM configurations (before that it was exactly as shown in the MOBO manual), even single sticks, different slots, but nothing shows. I then tried a stick from a different kit that's known to be working, but still nothing. The power cables are all well connected, I tried unplugging and re-plugging the main power cable a few times, but still, nothing shows.

Is there any hope for this system or do I have to see which parts are salvageable and start over? 馃様

The parts used

AMD 5800x

Asus B550-F ROG STRIX

Kingstone 16x2 32GB kit

NZXT 1000W PSW

AMD 7950 GPU (I know it's old, I'm only using it for testing)

No Storage devices are attached at the moment

This is very weird, If you have another machine run Memtest64 with each of the sticks one by one

do you know when your motherboard was manufactured? the bios might not be up to date for the 5800x

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

25 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

do you know when your motherboard was manufactured? the bios might not be up to date for the 5800x

Even though it's a B550? I thought all B550s were Ryzen 5000 compatible out of the box.

33 minutes ago, ManemeJeff said:

This is very weird, If you have another machine run Memtest64 with each of the sticks one by one

I will, and I'll report here soon about that.

Plan:

- try every piece individually on another system

- memtest64 for each stick individually

This should help me at least estimate the damage, and if I was lucky, fix the problem all together.

Thank you everyone, I'll report once I have updates.

4 minutes ago, mrg0lden said:

Even though it's a B550? I thought all B550s were Ryzen 5000 compatible out of the box.

B550 boards launched before 5000 ryzen (mainly for ryzen 3000), so it's possible u just got a super old stock

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Update:聽

hello, I found the cause for this whole dilemma. The CPU power socket on the motherboard is loose for some reason, it works when I apply pressure on the connector continuously, but it shuts down immediately when I take my hand off.

Do you think it's something I can fix myself and get going, or is it better to just RMA the motherboard?

Thank you all for your help.