Hey I need help with part picking for my first high-end PC Build

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

The 13th gen Intel cpu's launch on the 20th October along with Z790.

The B650 boards release in a few days for Ryzen 7000 cpu's.

The 7900XT should launch on the 3rd November.

My advice would be to wait.

Budget (including currency): 5000 € with possibility going overbudget up to 7500 €

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly Gaming, Programming

Other details:

So what I am looking for is a Rig with :

CPU -

Intel Core i9-12900K 3.2 GHz 16-Core Processor

or another option which would run better with RTX 4090 tbh no clue what would it be ( preferably something with good temps with AIO Setup no thermal throttling etc. ) 

GPU -

RTX 4090 ( no preferences on Manufacturer it just needs to have good performance, loudness doesn't matter, good overclocking possibilities )

CASE -

something spacious with possibilities for future upgrades, good airflow

RAM -

I guess the best would be DDR5 size 32GB ( no clue what would be better 2 sticks of 16GB or 4 sticks of 8 GB ) ?

STORAGE - 

I was thinking about 2 M.2s - 1 smaller one for OS (idk 256 GB?) and 1 bigger one for everything  ( probably 1 TB, or 512 GB would be enough don't want to trash it with unnecessary stuff )

MONITOR -

would like that rig to be able to play with full capability of 240 Hz monitor maybe Alienware or I am up to any other recommendations resolution either 1440p or 1600p )

OVERALL APPEARANCE - 

probably all black / all white not everything has to be matching ofc just the main theme of a rig, very little rgb just to spice the appearance up 

OTHER PERIPHERALS -

do not include them in the build ( keyboard, mouse, headset )

REFERENCE PART PICKER LIST ( EVERYTHING CAN BE CHANGED ) :

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/LyyQMb

if I forgot to mention anything let me know I will edit and thanks 🙂

If you can whip up a starting build / partlist it's a lot easier to comment on it.

For Ram 2x16 is very much preferred over 4x8.

A 512 GB game drive seems pretty small for this budget. I would, look for at least 1 TB, maybe 2 even.

For €5000+ you can get a insane build

Here I chose to go lates gen AMD CPU as it outperforms the 12900K

Price for the GPU is just MSRP, it may differ IRL

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/zL9yZw

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 4.5 GHz 16-Core Processor  (€836.90 @ Alza) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (€190.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Motherboard: MSI MPG X670E CARBON WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  (€574.39 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory  (€266.99 @ Alternate) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (€267.00 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB Video Card  (€1599.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Torrent ATX Mid Tower Case  (€206.89 @ Alternate) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME TX 1300 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (€450.85 @ Computeruniverse) 
Monitor: Alienware AW3423DW 34.2" 3440 x 1440 175 Hz Curved Monitor  (€1299.00) 
Total: €5691.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-07 10:58 CEST+0200

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

4 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

Price for the GPU is just MSRP, it may differ IRL

1600+VAT is MSRP. So 2000 Euros. 

The build is cool I guess, but you're wasting so much money on the motherboard and power supply. There is no need to get an atx 3.0 psu. You would be way better off both financially and in terms of longevity to just buy a good 1000W power supply these days for 200 euros and then buy another atx 3.0 psu when you actually need it for another 200 euros later down the line. They are not eternal components. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

11 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

1600+VAT is MSRP. So 2000 Euros

Your righ, I forgot.

12 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

There is no need to get an atx 3.0 psu. You would be way better off both financially and in terms of longevity to just buy a good 1000W power supply these days for 200 euros and then buy another atx 3.0 psu when you actually need it for another 200 euros later down the line. They are not eternal components. 

For a 4090 I would definitely go for a ATX3.0 PSU, then he dont have to use adapters from 8 to 12 pin PCIe. A good PSU can last a long time and many future upgrades, and with a budget of €5000-7500, why ever would I not?

Your right I didn't go for the most price efficient build so there are tweaks that can be done. There may be cheaper units than what I picked, at least in the relatively near future as production of ATX3.0 units ramps up

If you want me to answer, please use the quote function or tag me. I dont get notified unless you do

38 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

Here I chose to go lates gen AMD CPU as it outperforms the 12900K

Does it really though ?  I was never a fan of AMD CPUs and never followed their performances but if it really is better than 12900K or other high end intel cpu and creates no compatibility issues then i am down for it. What about 13900K?

28 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

Case: Fractal Design Torrent ATX Mid Tower Case  (€206.89 @ Alternate) 

Also the case wouldn't it be better to go for full tower case from fractal?

38 minutes ago, Sjaakie said:

If you can whip up a starting build / partlist it's a lot easier to comment on it.

For Ram 2x16 is very much preferred over 4x8.

A 512 GB game drive seems pretty small for this budget. I would, look for at least 1 TB, maybe 2 even.

i added partpicker list to the topic idk if its any good but thats about what i had in mind

25 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

The build is cool I guess, but you're wasting so much money on the motherboard and power supply.

So what would you suggest choosing when it comes for psu and motherboard ? i added partpicker list with some components you can refeer to that

9 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

a 4090 I would definitely go for a ATX3.0 PSU, then he dont have to use adapters from 8 to 12 pin PCIe. 

You don't need adapters anyway, Corsair has a cable that works with most of their current power supplies. And cablemod has 16 pin cables made for many other manufacturers.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/RCrtH2

Heres just the base w/o gpu or monitor

If you wanna go ryzen 7000 id wait for b650(e), no point wasting a ton on an x670(e) for crap that you prob dont need which is pretty much just gen5 lanes for chipset so basically useless without dual gen5 gpu or multi gen5 nvmes which dont seem to be out yet but theyll be useless for most ppl anyways considering gen4 ssds are already useless for the majority of ppl (not everyone does heavy video editing or data science or anything that needs ludicrous r/w speed)

Mainly just focused on value here as its really pointless buying the top end when you dont even need it, though if your workloads happen to be able to use the ecores consider the 13900k(f) over the 13700k(f), same goes for extra ram (do not fall for the fast ram idiot trap), or powerful gpu

5 minutes ago, Spookson said:

So what would you suggest choosing when it comes for psu and motherboard ? i added partpicker list with some components you can refeer to that

Most X670 and X670E motherboards are seriously overbuilt and overpriced. Something "budget" is already enthusiast class. Like this

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/m7mmP6/gigabyte-x670-aorus-elite-ax-rev-10-atx-am5-motherboard-x670-aorus-elite-ax-rev-10

And in terms of PSU I'd go for something like this 

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/TYWfrH/seasonic-prime-gold-1300w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-1300gd and get a cable https://eustore.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-rt-series-pro-modflex-sleeved-12vhpwr-pci-e-cable-for-asus-and-seasonic/ so you don't have to deal with adapters. But that's just me wanting to save money, there is nothing actually wrong with more expensive components, it's just that they do not give you any additional performance or longevity.

Spoiler

49 minutes ago, Spookson said:

Also the case wouldn't it be better to go for full tower case from fractal?

The torrent is quite big for a mid tower case, and its one of the best on the market when it comes to air flow.

I have it myself, and are really happy with it. Only minus as I see it is if you want to use an AIO, you have to take out the two 180mm fans in the front and use the included bracket to mount it. I chose to replace my 280mm AIO with a air cooler as I wanted to keep the 180mm fans.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/TVLfRv

I know the ram looks ugly but its probably one of the faster ddr5 rams. Changed the case to a much bigger one. The one I changed it to can fit 9 case fans and three gpus. Think the case already comes with fans so no need for the case fans. If it doesnt might have 9 case fans since the case fits that many. Also changed gpu to a gpu with better OC abilities. Also you should have just enough space to squeeze in an extra 4090. But no need for that. Too overkill.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

59 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

You don't need adapters anyway, Corsair has a cable that works with most of their current power supplies. And cablemod has 16 pin cables made for many other manufacturers.

That is still adapters, its just one that plugs directly into the PSU. 3x PCIe 8-pin are rated for 450W while a ATX 3.0 12+4(12VHPWR) pin is rated for 600W 

41 minutes ago, Tegneren said:

Only minus as I see it is if you want to use an AIO, you have to take out the two 180mm fans in the front and use the included bracket to mount it

In that case wouldn't it be better to just do custom water-cooling with the radiator mounted on the bottom of the case and reservoir in the higher point ? or the temps on air coolers will be preety much the same as with custom water-cooling? And also when it comes to memory should i use ddr5 or something else? here is updated list https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/LyyQMb

1 minute ago, Spookson said:

In that case wouldn't it be better to just do custom water-cooling ? or the temps on air coolers will be preety much the same as with custom water-cooling? 

A 360 AIO will likely outperform most air coolers, but for smaller AIO's a good air cooler can be just as good, it mostly depends of the radiator/finn-stack area. I saw no difference going from a NZXT Kraken X61(280mm Aio) to a Cooler Master MasterAir MA620M for my Ryzen 7 5800X.

But the Intel 12900K and Ryzen 7000 series is much more power hungry, and needs a lot of cooling.

Ryzen 7000 series will (by design) boost itself until it hits 95C and stay there under load, so a better cooler means it will boost higher before it hits 95.

BTW temperature is not the same as heat output, meaning a ryzen 7950 running at 95C puts out less heat into the room than a 12900K that maybe runs at 80C under load. Its the power draw that matters.

Custom watercooling is of course the best in all cases, if you dont mind the hassle of putting it together and dealing with the risk factors

20 hours ago, lee32uk said:

Yeah i will probably do that see what the performances are and decide then which one to get, but probably the rest of the parts i will just order now i am still unsure if i should get ddr5 or ddr4 as far as i have read and watched it makes literally no difference could you or someone explain pros and cons ?