Does my motherboard support PCIe bifurcation ?

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

It's still  x16 slot for the video card,  x16 slot with only 4 pci-e lanes (from chipset)  and 2 pci-e 3.0 x1 slots. 

The x16 for video card may support bifurcation and let you put 4 SSDs in that slot, but then the video card will run at the slower x4 speed of the second slot. 

Put the extra ssd on the second pci-e x16 slot in a more basic m.2 to pci-e adapter. 

They also make M.2 to pci-e x1 adapters - you can put a SSD on such adapter and you'll still have around 900 MB/s to and from the SSD - that's still 2x-ish the speed of a SATA SSD.

Note though that on SOME motherboards those pci-e x1 slots or the x4 slot get disabled / downgraded to x2 lanes from x4  when the second m.2 connector is used. x570 chipset has enough pci-e lanes this should not apply to you but check the notes in manual.

Hi, I just bought a new SSD (M.2 Seagate Firecuda 530 1Tb) but all M.2 slots on my motherboard are used so im gonna buy a PCIe adapter. I would like to be able to have several SSDs on the adapter so I found this but I dont know if my motherboard support PCIe bifurcation and I cant find it on the manual... Its the MSI Tomahawk B550. Does anyone know if I will be able to use it while knowing that the first PCIe x16 is used by my graphic card and both M2 slots are used but other PCIe slots (1 x16 and 2 x1) are free ? What is the option for the bifurcation in the MSI Bios if I have it ?

Here the PCIe details :

image.thumb.png.416abe11c7b6f2373d68a49c94f32fcb.png

5 minutes ago, Gandalf0u said:

but I dont know if my motherboard support PCIe bifurcation

It does not. The 2nd PCI-e3.0 x16 slot is wired with 4 lanes to the chipset.

Can you list all your SSD's and which slot they're installed in?

5 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

It does not. The 2nd PCI-e3.0 x16 slot is wired the chipset.

Can you list all your SSD's and which slot they're installed in?

Thanks for the answer, I have this Sabrent on the first slot and this Crucial on the second. 

It may be the opposite, I dont have access to the pc right now...

Edited by Gandalf0u
Add info

Im dumb I dont have the b550, I have the x570 ! It does work with this one isn't it ?

It's still  x16 slot for the video card,  x16 slot with only 4 pci-e lanes (from chipset)  and 2 pci-e 3.0 x1 slots. 

The x16 for video card may support bifurcation and let you put 4 SSDs in that slot, but then the video card will run at the slower x4 speed of the second slot. 

Put the extra ssd on the second pci-e x16 slot in a more basic m.2 to pci-e adapter. 

They also make M.2 to pci-e x1 adapters - you can put a SSD on such adapter and you'll still have around 900 MB/s to and from the SSD - that's still 2x-ish the speed of a SATA SSD.

Note though that on SOME motherboards those pci-e x1 slots or the x4 slot get disabled / downgraded to x2 lanes from x4  when the second m.2 connector is used. x570 chipset has enough pci-e lanes this should not apply to you but check the notes in manual.