180w graphics card search

randomdellguy
Go to solution Solved by --SID--,

Ah, you have a i3-8100 which consumes a lot less than a i5. With a i3 a GTX 1650 would be no problem. Try to find a GDDR6 version that don't need external power like the MSI GTX 1650 Aero ITX OC D6.

2 minutes ago, randomdellguy said:

the t400 was a good option and its quite cheap

I have a Lenovo T400 here and it performs less than a GT 1030.

Im looking for a decent gpu for a project of a dell prebuilt, but i cant find any confirmation on any decent cards, i would like some help i will list specs below

Intel core i3-8100

180w psu

and yes the pc is a pavilion

i was considering the gt 1030 but its now performance for 1080p was a big impact for me

What pavilion is it?

The regular full desktop one?

Whats your budget?

What is the goal with adding a gpu?

Even gtx 1650s without the extra 6pin have caused forced shutdowns on these sorts of systems due to the psu being very weak

when i was searching around i found this video that caught my eye, it uses a gtx 1650 with a 180w psu but im worried about it not working properly, the lp model way work

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What pavilion is it?

The regular full desktop one?

Whats your budget?

What is the goal with adding a gpu?

Even gtx 1650s without the extra 6pin have caused forced shutdowns on these sorts of systems due to the psu being very weak

tp01-00**

1 minute ago, randomdellguy said:

when i was searching around i found this video that caught my eye, it uses a gtx 1650 with a 180w psu but im worried about it not working properly, the lp model way work

The normal 1650 and lp one use the same power.

They can work for a bit but the psus in these systems are very weak.

But youve only answered one question. What are the other answers?

Just now, randomdellguy said:

its platinum rated for some reason 

Yeah they are good quality and high efficiency just low wattage and whilst technically they should be fine people doing these upgrades sometimes have computers that keep shutting down even tho its in the power budget. Probably just bad units.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Yeah they are good quality and high efficiency just low wattage and whilst technically they should be fine people doing these upgrades sometimes have computers that keep shutting down even tho its in the power budget. Probably just bad units.

i considered finding a upgrade but it proprietary and they only make a 180w unit for my exact model because compatibility issues (atleast thats what i found)

7 minutes ago, randomdellguy said:

i considered finding a upgrade but it proprietary and they only make a 180w unit for my exact model because compatibility issues (atleast thats what i found)

Oh yeah not upgradeable.

But again could you answer my other questions?

There are quadros that consume less and are more performant but they cost more. So I need more info

its a full size my budget is around 200 usd  and i want to use this pc for benchmarks 

5 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Oh yeah not upgradeable.

But again could you answer my other questions?

There are quadros that consume less and are more performant but they cost more. So I need more info

Ah, you have a i3-8100 which consumes a lot less than a i5. With a i3 a GTX 1650 would be no problem. Try to find a GDDR6 version that don't need external power like the MSI GTX 1650 Aero ITX OC D6.

2 minutes ago, randomdellguy said:

2 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

i meant the quadro card

3 minutes ago, randomdellguy said:

i meant the quadro card

Yes, this one https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/t400.c3808 I have https://www.lenovo.com/nl/nl/accessories-and-monitors/graphics-cards/graphics-cards/GRAPHIC-BO-NV-T400-HP-Graphics-Card/p/4X61F99432?orgRef=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F which is exact the same. There's a 4GB version too but it doesn't perform much better.

18 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Another thing that would help is maybe setting power limit to 90 and manually undervolting the gpu core to lower power comsumption maybe closer to 60w instead of 75w, overclock vram to compensate as vram wont consume much power but noticable performance boost which if you underclock the gpu core will compensate for the lower clocked gpu core while only adding like 2w of consumption

25 minutes ago, randomdellguy said:

Not the greatest but for 200 a k620 is an option or a p2000

anything without 6-pin power should be fine.

Probably any video card that consumes less than around 130-140w would work.  

You can also use programs or the driver to lower the performance by a few percentage, which in turn will lower the power consumption by a few percent 

The italic ones are risky 

RX 6400 is not recommended because it's only pci-e x4 , so unless you have pci-e 4.0 lanes (which you don't), the performance is gonna suck (will have hiccups, random stutter, annoying)

RX 6500 uses 8 pci-e lanes if my memory is correct, and is not that badly affected by having pci-e 3.0 lanes. 

Intel cards like the 380 may consume little power (75w) but they MUST have pci-e Resizable BAR, which your bios and computer may not support. 

RX 6500 XT = 110 watts 

RX 6400 = 55 watts 

RX 5500 XT = 125 watts

RX 560 = 80W

GTX 1660Ti = 9W/125W (peaks to 135W)
GTX 1660 = 8W/125W (peaks to 135W)

GTX 1660 Super = 8W/110W
GTX 1650 = 80W
GTX 1650 Super = 95W

GTX1060 = 125W
GTX1050Ti = 75W
GTX1050 = 75W

18 minutes ago, randomdellguy said:

they use psu pins though i dont think it will work

im not fimiliar with radeon but a rx 6400 wont work with only a 180 psu

20 minutes ago, randomdellguy said:

they use psu pins though i dont think it will work

nvm

1 hour ago, randomdellguy said:

im not fimiliar with radeon but a rx 6400 wont work with only a 180 psu

The card itself doesn't know and doesn't care about what other components in the computer consume. It only cares about itself. 

If the power supply can supply 55-60 watts, it will work.

The video card manufacturer may say a minimum 300 or 350w power supply is recommended, but that's only because they don't know what processor, motherboard and how many hard drives or other power hungry devices you're gonna have, and they have no clue what quality the power supply will be so they say some minimum amount to be on the safe side.

Your 180w platinum efficiency psu is of high quality and can supply pretty much all those 180w on 12v, and the only other consumes in your computer are that i3 cpu that consumes under 30-40w and around 10w for motherboard and stuff.

As for other video cards, even those with a 6 pin could work, but you'd have to find some adapter cable (like for example some molex or sata to pci-e 6pin adapter cable) - the presence of the connector doesn't mean the video card will pull as much power as that connector is designed for.

You can have a 6500 XT or a GTX 1660 Super that consume up to around 110w - those will take 50-60w from slot , and about the same from the 6 pin connector.

As another example, a GTX1060 will pull up to 125 watts, no matter if it has a 6 pin or a 8 pin connector. A card with a 6 pin connector will spread those 125 watts between the slot (60w) and the 6 pin connector (65w)  while one with a 8 pin connector may be designed to pull less from the slot (let's say 30-40w) and more from the 8 pin connector (maybe 80-90w)

You could also use Afterburner or the driver to limit the performance by moving a slider to -5% ...-10% of video card's performance which in turn would lower the power consumption by around 10% or more.