Revo Uninstaller Safe?

paulyron

I heard people say this program is good to remove programs.  But also it removes everything completely is that true?

So my new laptop has mcafee installed.  Does it mean if i remove it from the add/remove programs, it is still there and not all is removed?  But revo uninstaller would remove it?

Would you recommend it or against it?  I always remove programs with add/remove programs but someone said it doesn't fully uninstall everything?

If it's from an OEM and you don't have all your stuff moved over, I recommend a fresh install with a USB (Microsoft has an official Media Creation Tool to make a nice clean windows installer USB with), OEMs pack in a ton more bloat than McAfee, you can nuke it all and redownload only the utilities the laptop needs to function. 

If that isn't an option, McAfee actually has instructions on how to properly uninstall their own crapware: https://www.mcafee.com/support/?articleId=TS101331&page=shell&shell=article-view

For other stuff just use the add/remove programs in windows, no need for a dedicated uninstaller app, they can often cause more issues than they solve depending on how they go about nuking files. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, Zando_ said:

If it's from an OEM and you don't have all your stuff moved over, I recommend a fresh install with a USB (Microsoft has an official Media Creation Tool to make a nice clean windows installer USB with), OEMs pack in a ton more bloat than McAfee, you can nuke it all and redownload only the utilities the laptop needs to function. 

If that isn't an option, McAfee actually has instructions on how to properly uninstall their own crapware: https://www.mcafee.com/support/?articleId=TS101331&page=shell&shell=article-view

For other stuff just use the add/remove programs in windows, no need for a dedicated uninstaller app, they can often cause more issues than they solve depending on how they go about nuking files. 

I just got the new xps laptop with windows 11 pro.  I don't have anything important on it.

But i also don't want to do a clean reinstall for windows 11 pro.  

So you are telling me just add/remove mcafee from control panel doesn't work fully for it?  The first method it shows in the video seems to be your normal add/remove programs?  Also im using windows 11 pro and not windows 10.  So just remove it the regular way then?  Again i never used revo uninstaller before.

Is revo ... revo uninstaller on ninite by the way?

3 minutes ago, paulyron said:

So you are telling me just add/remove mcafee from control panel doesn't work fully for it?

Yes but maybe no. McAfee says to try that first, if it doesn't work then use the tool they made to do the job. Not sure why they're unsure as to how their own software uninstalls but that's McAfee for you. 

4 minutes ago, paulyron said:

But i also don't want to do a clean reinstall for windows 11 pro.

Takes a few minutes. Like 5 for the install itself (just did it on a ZenBook 14 yesterday), but yeah waiting for all the driver downloads n stuff afterwards can be annoying. I usually do it anyways because almost every issue I've had with a laptop was fixed by either an SSD install (if they didn't come with one) or a fresh install of Windows. Whatever they do to their ISOs at the factory makes em funky in my experience, though that is mostly HP laptops and the occasional ASUS, not specifically Dells. 

6 minutes ago, paulyron said:

Is revo ... revo uninstaller on ninite by the way?

Don't use Ninite uh... looks like yes, they just call it "Revo" but hovering over it says the uninstaller bit. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch