How solid of a CPU is the Ryzen 7 5800X3D?

Go to solution Solved by Sarra,
4 hours ago, Plundr said:

A X3D would cost me about $420 (nice) new from Amazon. A 5900X is about the same price, $400, so if the X3D is better, I'll just pay the $20 difference for more performance.

For straight gaming, the 5800X3D is actually better than the 5900X and 5950X in most games, and if it's not better, it's equal at the worst. My opinion, if I was looking for a straight up gaming PC, would be the 5800X3D.

For game streaming, the 5900X or 5950X would possibly give you better performance, but I have no experience with game streaming.

Me, personally, if I were to build a brand new Ryzen 5000 system for gaming alone, I would get a 5800X3D. If I were building a game streaming machine, I would probably go with a 5900X. For a machine that does gaming, game streaming, and video editing, I would get a 5950X.

Just keep in mind, the 5800X3D is locked, and cannot overclock, not even using PBO. The 5800X3D also does not have an ECO mode, whereas my 5950X ran last summer in ECO mode to keep temps under control, and in the winter, I either turn ECO mode and PBO off, or just leave PBO on.

First time posting, so sorry if I do anything wrong.

Budget (including currency): $400 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Streaming, Cyberpunk 2077, Valorant

Other details: As the title states, I was looking to upgrade my CPU. I want to get back into streaming after over a year of being away, but my last stream was laggy and glitchy, when I checked my task manager, my CPU was pushing 100% usage. I was thinking that the Ryzen 7 5800X3D would be a solid upgrade, but I wanted to be sure before I buy. If there is another CPU that would fit better around my budget, even if its a little more, please feel free to recommend it.

Current PC Specs as follows:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 Ghz
GPU: RTX 3080 FE
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (4x8GB) 3200 Mhz

Mobo: Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming

Cooler: Corsair H150i Elite LCD 360mm

PSU: EVGA Supernova 1300 G+

Also, I feel like it is worth noting that my current CPU is not overclocked. I do not know how to overclock CPUs. I have enabled XMP in my Bios Menu.

3 minutes ago, Plundr said:

First time posting, so sorry if I do anything wrong.

Budget (including currency): $400 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Streaming, Cyberpunk 2077, Valorant

Other details: As the title states, I was looking to upgrade my CPU. I want to get back into streaming after over a year of being away, but my last stream was laggy and glitchy, when I checked my task manager, my CPU was pushing 100% usage. I was thinking that the Ryzen 7 5800X3D would be a solid upgrade, but I wanted to be sure before I buy. If there is another CPU that would fit better around my budget, even if its a little more, please feel free to recommend it.

Current PC Specs as follows:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 Ghz
GPU: RTX 3080 FE
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (4x8GB) 3200 Mhz

Mobo: Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming

Cooler: Corsair H150i Elite LCD 360mm

PSU: EVGA Supernova 1300 G+

Also, I feel like it is worth noting that my current CPU is not overclocked. I do not know how to overclock CPUs. I have enabled XMP in my Bios Menu.

Given the price that that cpu sits at... Unless you can find it for cheaper, just go with the 5800X or 5900X.

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

The 5800X3D will perform better for gaming than the 5800X or 5900X. Better than the 5950X, especially in games that have issues with high core count CPU's.

Seeing how you have a 3080 FE, and the board/RAM you have, you would have more benefit from a 5800X than anything else. If you wanted to upgrade your board and RAM in the future, then the 5800X3D would get you to the 'ultimate AM4 build', but for general gaming, any of those CPU's are worth considering.

Or just get lucky, and get the 5800X3D at like 33% off it's retail price, and just smile for a while. :3 That's what I did with my 5950X, though I got mine for video encoding instead of gaming (though, it doesn't do too bad at gaming, all things said).

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

If you are streaming, get a 5900x or 5950x, will go much better. Theres been quite a few Used 5950x going for 300-450 on Ebay/Hardwareswap, and 5900x going for 225-350. 

Like right now 5950x for 365 lol.

5800x3D is AMAZING for gaming, by far the best of AM4. It is 8 cores so it could probably do streaming just fine, but its also still around 380-420$. Still high price has been preventing me from a reccomendation for most peps.

Edited by Shimejii

19 hours ago, Shimejii said:

If you are streaming, get a 5900x or 5950x, will go much better. Theres been quite a few Used 5950x going for 300-450 on Ebay/Hardwareswap, and 5900x going for 225-350. 

Like right now 5950x for 365 lol.

5800x3D is AMAZING for gaming, by far the best of AM4. It is 8 cores so it could probably do streaming just fine, but its also still around 380-420$. Still high price has been preventing me from a reccomendation for most peps.

I knew the X3D would be great for gaming, I just wasn't sure if it would be great at gaming AND streaming simultaneously.

19 hours ago, Sarra said:

The 5800X3D will perform better for gaming than the 5800X or 5900X. Better than the 5950X, especially in games that have issues with high core count CPU's.

Seeing how you have a 3080 FE, and the board/RAM you have, you would have more benefit from a 5800X than anything else. If you wanted to upgrade your board and RAM in the future, then the 5800X3D would get you to the 'ultimate AM4 build', but for general gaming, any of those CPU's are worth considering.

Or just get lucky, and get the 5800X3D at like 33% off it's retail price, and just smile for a while. :3 That's what I did with my 5950X, though I got mine for video encoding instead of gaming (though, it doesn't do too bad at gaming, all things said).

A X3D would cost me about $420 (nice) new from Amazon. A 5900X is about the same price, $400, so if the X3D is better, I'll just pay the $20 difference for more performance.

The 5800X is $300, but I'm not sure the performance drop between the X3D and the X, so I'm unsure of the price to performance there.

Thank you both for your answers!

4 hours ago, Plundr said:

For straight gaming, the 5800X3D is actually better than the 5900X and 5950X in most games, and if it's not better, it's equal at the worst. My opinion, if I was looking for a straight up gaming PC, would be the 5800X3D.

For game streaming, the 5900X or 5950X would possibly give you better performance, but I have no experience with game streaming.

Me, personally, if I were to build a brand new Ryzen 5000 system for gaming alone, I would get a 5800X3D. If I were building a game streaming machine, I would probably go with a 5900X. For a machine that does gaming, game streaming, and video editing, I would get a 5950X.

Just keep in mind, the 5800X3D is locked, and cannot overclock, not even using PBO. The 5800X3D also does not have an ECO mode, whereas my 5950X ran last summer in ECO mode to keep temps under control, and in the winter, I either turn ECO mode and PBO off, or just leave PBO on.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022