New build - seeking feedback and expertise

Budget (including currency):  1800GBP

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming(nothing too fancy, multiplayer Minecraft, solo games), Adobe Creative Suite, Streaming, Daily driver

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hi everyone, I'm planning this build since my last one was back in 2008 and lasted me for over 10 years, I guess it's time..

I'm thinking of a 24inch 144/165hz monitor with the possibility of adding another one in the future.

Two 140mm fans in the FRONT, the two 120mm fans that come with the case on TOP and another 120mm fan in the BACK for airflow how does it sound?

Please let me know what you think of this setup: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/K444wc

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Edited by Richardncn
Added more details

I'd really shell out the extra 40ish pound for a 3060Ti. Or, wait and see what AMD brings out with their offerings.

For airflow, you'd generally want to go all in one direction. So either all from top to bottom, or all front to back. Having more (ie ones in the top as well as front/back) doesn't always mean better performance. This does depend on the case and many other things though.

Welcome to the forum.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

42 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I'd really shell out the extra 40ish pound for a 3060Ti. Or, wait and see what AMD brings out with their offerings.

For airflow, you'd generally want to go all in one direction. So either all from top to bottom, or all front to back. Having more (ie ones in the top as well as front/back) doesn't always mean better performance. This does depend on the case and many other things though.

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you! I'm gonna start buying components end of november-ish, so I can wait and see what happens meanwhile.

Also I'm not up to date with which manufacturers are better.

As for the Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case I should stick to 2x140mm Noctua P14s intake FRONT and 1x120mm Noctua P12 exhaust BACK and leave top as it is you suggest.

3 minutes ago, Richardncn said:

Thank you! I'm gonna start buying components end of november-ish, so I can wait and see what happens meanwhile.

Also I'm not up to date with which manufacturers are better.

As for the Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case I should stick to 2x140mm Noctua P14s intake FRONT and 1x120mm Noctua P12 exhaust BACK and leave top as it is you suggest.

Make sure you don't buy them over time, buy them all at once (or during Black Friday, if you can and it's a thing there). Buying over time usually means you'll have outdated stuff at higher pricing.

Check out...HardwareCanucks fan reviews. They're quite good. I was going to buy Noctua fans for my build, but watching their reviews, the significantly cheaper Arctic fans performed better (or at worst on par) with them, so I just went Arctic. This was for a radiator mind you, so you'd have to find their case fan reviews. Might be able to save some coin there.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, Richardncn said:

I'm gonna start buying components end of november-ish, so I can wait and see what happens meanwhile.

That is good as there will be new Intel CPU by then. 

The NH-U12A is a very good CPU cooler. There are less expensive, equally good coolers.

You might consider going with a single 2TB NVMe drive rather than two smaller units.

The 4000D Airflow comes with two stock fans. Given the relatively light thermal load of the outlined system I doubt more fans will add much. Certainly not enough to justify the over £40 cost. But if you really want more fans consider Arctic P12 or P14 PWM models.

The outlined system doesn't need more than a 550W or 650W PSU. The Tomahawk does have a 2nd EPS socket, given the build such additional power is not required and the motherboard will function well with a single EPS connected.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

10 hours ago, dizmo said:

Make sure you don't buy them over time, buy them all at once (or during Black Friday, if you can and it's a thing there). Buying over time usually means you'll have outdated stuff at higher pricing.

Check out...HardwareCanucks fan reviews. They're quite good. I was going to buy Noctua fans for my build, but watching their reviews, the significantly cheaper Arctic fans performed better (or at worst on par) with them, so I just went Arctic. This was for a radiator mind you, so you'd have to find their case fan reviews. Might be able to save some coin there.

Checked them out, thanks for the tips 🙂

Changed the config accordingly

12 hours ago, brob said:

That is good as there will be new Intel CPU by then. 

The NH-U12A is a very good CPU cooler. There are less expensive, equally good coolers.

You might consider going with a single 2TB NVMe drive rather than two smaller units.

The 4000D Airflow comes with two stock fans. Given the relatively light thermal load of the outlined system I doubt more fans will add much. Certainly not enough to justify the over £40 cost. But if you really want more fans consider Arctic P12 or P14 PWM models.

The outlined system doesn't need more than a 550W or 650W PSU. The Tomahawk does have a 2nd EPS socket, given the build such additional power is not required and the motherboard will function well with a single EPS connected.

I changed the CPU to a i5 12600KF as i was thinking i could slightly OC it to get about the same performance, minus the 2cores(i712700KF). But cant wait to see whats coming out, maybe AMD is launching some new stuff too?

I also switched the intake fans to arctic p14.

I do have another question, the power supply will stay nice and cool in its enclosure or do i need to provide it with some airflow aswell?

updated parts list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/h6Nxk9

6 hours ago, Richardncn said:
16 hours ago, brob said:

I changed the CPU to a i5 12600KF as i was thinking i could slightly OC it to get about the same performance, minus the 2cores(i712700KF). But cant wait to see whats coming out, maybe AMD is launching some new stuff too?

I also switched the intake fans to arctic p14.

I do have another question, the power supply will stay nice and cool in its enclosure or do i need to provide it with some airflow aswell?

updated parts list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/h6Nxk9

AMD has launched new CPU, 7600X, 7700X, 7900X, and 7950X. Intel has announced i5-13600K(F), i7-13700K(F), and i9-13900K(F).

In a 4000D the PSU is mounted with the intake fan facing down. When running the unit draws cool air up through the grill on the case floor and exhausts out the rear of the PSU.

4 hours ago, brob said:

AMD has launched new CPU, 7600X, 7700X, 7900X, and 7950X. Intel has announced i5-13600K(F), i7-13700K(F), and i9-13900K(F).

In a 4000D the PSU is mounted with the intake fan facing down. When running the unit draws cool air up through the grill on the case floor and exhausts out the rear of the PSU.

Thank you for your input, makes sense mounting the PSU like that, just checking and double cheking to be sure when I'm building it 🙂

I can see that the announced Intel CPUs are already on the UK market. The i7-13700KF goes for 480GBP and i5-13600KF at 356BP.  To be honest, the new i7 looks promising to me with 16cores and 24 threads.

later edit:

''This product is a pre-order item. Stock is expected around 20/10/2022.''

Edited by Richardncn

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/CWkqVw

I changed the CPU fan. You don't really need an expensive one. Changed the case. The one I changed it too already has 4 fans and it looks nice too. (this is the case I have). I changed the gpu to a 3070 ti.  Thats all I did. 1827 is the final price.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3070-Ti-vs-Nvidia-RTX-3060-Ti/4116vs4090

Here is the difference between the 3060 ti and 3070 ti. 3070 ti 27% faster/better.

My First PC
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
Cooler: Asus TUF Gaming LC240
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B550-f gaming
RAM: 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RS (3200 MHz, CL16)
Storage: 1tb Samsung 980 Pro
Graphics Card: Asus Dual RTX 2060 OC
Case: Deepcool Matrexx 50
Power Supply: Corsair RM650x
Headset: Razer Blackshark V2
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Pro Mini (Speed Silver switches)
Mouse: Razer Viper Mini
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

1 hour ago, PcBeExpensive said:

I changed the CPU fan. You don't really need an expensive one. Changed the case. The one I changed it too already has 4 fans and it looks nice too. (this is the case I have). I changed the gpu to a 3070 ti.  Thats all I did. 1827 is the final price.

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3070-Ti-vs-Nvidia-RTX-3060-Ti/4116vs4090

Here is the difference between the 3060 ti and 3070 ti. 3070 ti 27% faster/better.

While you don't need a high-end CPU cooler the Hyper 212 isn't really adequate for an i7-12700KF. The cpu has base power of 125W and max turbo of 190W.

Consider the Deepcool AK500 or AK620, 

1 hour ago, brob said:

While you don't need a high-end CPU cooler the Hyper 212 isn't really adequate for an i7-12700KF. The cpu has base power of 125W and max turbo of 190W.

Consider the Deepcool AK500 or AK620, 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/vxtN9r

This better?

My First PC
Only changes I have made is I sold the 2060 for $235 AUD and bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6700 XT for $400 second hand (it was barely used, think I scored a deal on Ebay with that).
I'm learning video editing and trying to get some cash as a high school student.
I like F1, my favourite team is Scuderia Ferrari and favourite driver is Charles Leclerc. Favourite track is Red Bull Ring in Austria.
Playing with a 1080p 60hz monitor right now, hoping to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz one soon.

Living in AU and that pisses me off since every event is late at night or early in the morning (almost every F1 race starts around 11 PM AEST time)

11 hours ago, PcBeExpensive said:

I really dont mind the price of the cpu cooler, if Im doing this build I want it to be great and i've only heard good things about noctua, so that's not gonna change 🙂. I want this to last me a good amount of years like my previous build, and with both the PSU and CPU Cooler I was thinking ahead, leave room for upgrades down the line. Regarding the case and rgb lights just wanted you guys to know, I'm not a huge fan of rgb, maybe just a little detail on the ram sticks or so. But definitely not full rgb disco show, stealth is the way for me.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/BCh2Zw

6 minutes ago, Richardncn said:

I really dont mind the price of the cpu cooler, if Im doing this build I want it to be great and i've only heard good things about noctua, so that's not gonna change 🙂. I want this to last me a good amount of years like my previous build, and with both the PSU and CPU Cooler I was thinking ahead, leave room for upgrades down the line. Regarding the case and rgb lights just wanted you guys to know, I'm not a huge fan of rgb, maybe just a little detail on the ram sticks or so. But definitely not full rgb disco show, stealth is the way for me.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/BCh2Zw

ok I understand that. Just letting you know you that sometimes more expensive doesnt mean better. (does that sound rude?) You can always just turn rgbs off using an app or something. BTW noctua is a pretty good brand when it comes to cooling. With the PSU I understand your leaving room for upgrades but 350w extra? that honestly doesnt make sense to me. Unless your gonna upgrade to the next gen cpus or gpus you don't need that. Seeing as you said you want the use this pc for a good amount of years. I would reccomend having a smaller psu now (maybe a 650 - 700 w) and then in 3-5 years if you upgrade get a new psu too. Too be realistic when you do next upgrade it will probs be a new gen of cpu or gpu which you will need more power for. This is all my opinion only though. Sorry for writing an essay for you.

My First PC

10 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

ok I understand that. Just letting you know you that sometimes more expensive doesnt mean better. (does that sound rude?) You can always just turn rgbs off using an app or something. BTW noctua is a pretty good brand when it comes to cooling. With the PSU I understand your leaving room for upgrades but 350w extra? that honestly doesnt make sense to me. Unless your gonna upgrade to the next gen cpus or gpus you don't need that. Seeing as you said you want the use this pc for a good amount of years. I would reccomend having a smaller psu now (maybe a 650 - 700 w) and then in 3-5 years if you upgrade get a new psu too. Too be realistic when you do next upgrade it will probs be a new gen of cpu or gpu which you will need more power for. This is all my opinion only though. Sorry for writing an essay for you.

It doesn't sound rude hehe don't worry about it, I can take constructive feedback that's why I'm here.

As for power consumption...I'm thinking of getting the new Intel Core i7-13700KF(max 253W) with a rtx3070ti(290W) and adding the motherboard(70W), ram(14W), hdd(10W), cpu cooler(10W) and other accessories(10W) we get an estimated wattage of about 657W. So around 200W left for future gpu upgrade such as rtx3090ti(450W), you think its too much?

if you were building your pc soon you woudlnt upgrade your gpu to a 3090 ti. You would go for a 4090 ti which is power hungry and you will most likely need a 1000w psu for that anyways. So I would say go for whats needed with maybe extra 100w then when you upgrade also upgrade your psu. You save money now and use it later when u need it.

My First PC

22 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

if you were building your pc soon you woudlnt upgrade your gpu to a 3090 ti. You would go for a 4090 ti which is power hungry and you will most likely need a 1000w psu for that anyways. So I would say go for whats needed with maybe extra 100w then when you upgrade also upgrade your psu. You save money now and use it later when u need it.

You're right, I understand now. And would it be a safe bet to go with a motherboard with ddr4 like the tomahawk? Or should I look into ones with ddr5 support?

9 hours ago, Richardncn said:

Honestly I would say go with ddr4. ddr5 may be faster but it has a higher CAS latency. The lower the CAS latency the better. The list you have given looks better to me although you might like to go with the newer ram from corsair.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/drqVZw

Ive changed your ram to the newer and faster one.

https://notkyon.moe/ram-latency.htm

you can use this website to calculate ram latency. Just enter the speed and the cl timing and it tells you.

My First PC

52 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

Honestly I would say go with ddr4. ddr5 may be faster but it has a higher CAS latency. The lower the CAS latency the better. The list you have given looks better to me although you might like to go with the newer ram from corsair.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/drqVZw

Ive changed your ram to the newer and faster one.

https://notkyon.moe/ram-latency.htm

you can use this website to calculate ram latency. Just enter the speed and the cl timing and it tells you.

Taken that into consideration and I think we have a winner: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/DHsPhk

Decided against 13th gen...don't see the point atm

I might be able to get that exact 3090 brand new from ebay for 700gbp, if not...sticking to the previous 3070ti

Changed the case too, might need two fans and some psu cable extensions to make it nice and neat.

What do you think?

Edited by Richardncn

12 minutes ago, Richardncn said:

Taken that into consideration and I think we have a winner: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/DHsPhk

Decided against 13th gen...don't see the point atm

I might be able to get that exact 3090 brand new from ebay for 700gbp, if not...sticking to the previous 3070ti

Changed the case too, might need two fans and some psu cable extensions to make it nice and neat.

What do you think?

I recokn the end result is fine. I would just reccomend getting 4 8 gig ram sticks so it looks nicer and occupies all the ram slots. Instead of getting 1 2 tb m.2 ssd you should buy 2 1tb m.2 ssds. Just so you have two stoarage spaces for different things. Thats my opinion again. If your buying from ebay just make sure its not a scam. Also have you looked up reviews for your case? Does it have good airflow?

My First PC

7 minutes ago, PcBeExpensive said:

I recokn the end result is fine. I would just reccomend getting 4 8 gig ram sticks so it looks nicer and occupies all the ram slots. Instead of getting 1 2 tb m.2 ssd you should buy 2 1tb m.2 ssds. Just so you have two stoarage spaces for different things. Thats my opinion again. If your buying from ebay just make sure its not a scam. Also have you looked up reviews for your case? Does it have good airflow?

Hmmm I did 2x16 ram as maybe I'll get another 2x16set to match it in the future, 32gb is plenty for now I guess and I'm not 100% about how much clearance the cpu cooler will give me to install 4 sticks of ram.

Originally I was thinking 1x500gb m2 and 1x1tb m2. Now that you pointed it out, not sure.

I did look up review about the case and they seem great, more positive than the 4000d. Airflow looks good

50 minutes ago, Richardncn said:

Hmmm I did 2x16 ram as maybe I'll get another 2x16set to match it in the future, 32gb is plenty for now I guess and I'm not 100% about how much clearance the cpu cooler will give me to install 4 sticks of ram.

Originally I was thinking 1x500gb m2 and 1x1tb m2. Now that you pointed it out, not sure.

I did look up review about the case and they seem great, more positive than the 4000d. Airflow looks good

thats good especially since you may be running a 3090. I would say go for 2 1tb m.2 ssd slots as it gives you more options when it comes to organizing. Like one m.2 ssd thats on the faster pcie slot can be for games and the other one can be for anything else. Again thats just my opinion. Also you said you want to stream. Are you going to get a streamdeck or anything?

My First PC

14 hours ago, PcBeExpensive said:

thats good especially since you may be running a 3090. I would say go for 2 1tb m.2 ssd slots as it gives you more options when it comes to organizing. Like one m.2 ssd thats on the faster pcie slot can be for games and the other one can be for anything else. Again thats just my opinion. Also you said you want to stream. Are you going to get a streamdeck or anything?

Would you be able to point out which m2 slot is the fastest on the Tomahawk mbe? I reckon its gonna be the one closest to the CPU? Or should I just read the manual:))

No streaming gear atm, when the timing is right I will get some Elgato gear but till then I just wanna see the build completed and functional. It's a whole new budget for a camera and capture card, lights, etc...So only photo and video editing untill then.