Best budget phone to buy

max668

On 10/6/2022 at 12:23 PM, max668 said:

iphone can usually be used for about 5 years,

8+

My teacher's iPhone 6S just died like a week ago, and even then, it may have been a problem with the lightning port that could have been fixed for very cheap. iPhones have really good software support for an average of 8 years, and the fastest processors on the market (if gaming is important) I wouldn't discount them so quickly, especially with the iPhone SE going for $429

On 11/2/2022 at 10:43 PM, dizmo said:

I'd recommend the S20 FE. You can get them quite cheap, and they're excellent devices. You won't have a headphone jack, but you can easily get a dongle, or, depending on what kind of earphones you use, just replace the cable with one that terminates in USB C. Problem solved. If you don't have a pair of IEMs that you can replace the cable on, there have been quite a few absolutely superb units for $20ish that have come out over the past few months. Though, the cable is going to cost you more than the IEM itself. Really, though, a dongle isn't a huge deal. At the end of the day all you're doing is adding 3" to the end of your cable.

Motorola has killer deals on Black Friday, if you don't mind going that route.

I wouldn't go with an iPhone SE unless you're fine with a very small screen.

If you want to think of things that way, you can live off of a paste, void of any flavour. Doesn't mean that's how people are going to want to live.

I like having high refresh screens, being able to take beautiful pictures when I'm travelling, and having a snappy, responsive phone. For something that I interact with every single day, it's near the top of the list.

If the OP is in the US Xiaomi isn't really an option. Most more budget focused phones aren't. Unless you're willing to play a gambling game with reception.

I've never seen a flagship phone that has been well cared for die that quickly, and I've used many; I used to get a new phone every year.

Understanding the way the world works isn't being a corporate apologist.

Also, while they're not mutually exclusive in theory, they are in practice. It doesn't matter if you don't have to leave the headphone jack out, if phones without the headphone jack is the only thing available.

@Commodus is right. You need to calm down, and stop giving a fuck about how other people choose to live their lives.

You'll live longer.

There are a few (like Facebook) but you can simply disable them and it'll be like they're not even there.

Their batteries are fine. There's issues if you put them into storage with a low state of charge. So, don't do that, and you'll never have a problem.

Unfortunately in the current, and likely future market you're left with only a handful of options if you want the headphone jack. If you shell out a few hundred more, you can pick up a Zenfone 9. They're supposed to be quite good.

With all due respect, i didnt come here to be "reprogrammed" like the average mouth breather drone who cant make up things on their own, and be told that 'dongle life is really not that bad'

Sigh. Look, if you dont care about the bloody dongle, i dont care, but i do, and what you SHOULD care about is the trend the dongling sets. A core feature is being taken away from you, and you SHOULD oppose that. On principle. Getting less for your money is not acceptable, hell, with inflation i'd argue that you're getting less for more money actualy

“What you must remember, is that the only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.”

- Alucard

On 11/5/2022 at 8:55 AM, NastyFlytrap said:

but i do, and what you SHOULD care about is the trend the dongling sets. A core feature is being taken away from you, and you SHOULD oppose that. On principle. Getting less for your money is not acceptable, hell, with inflation i'd argue that you're getting less for more money actualy

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-USB-C-Headphone-Jack-Adapter/dp/B07K25P3N1/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1RD2ZIIUAUXAA&keywords=usb-c+to+headphone+jack+APple&qid=1667838325&s=electronics&sprefix=usb-c+to+headphone+jack+appl%2Celectronics%2C194&sr=1-3

Man, that $8. I don't know what I would do without it. Appose evil capitalism, how dare they charge an extra 8 dollars for a dongle that can be used with almost any USB-C device, and makes replacing a damaged headphone jack even easier!

The trend is set in stone. Either compromise other features for the headphone jack that can be purchased for $8, or get the stupid dongle. It's not hard.

Sigh. Look, if you dont care about the bloody dongle, i dont care, but i do, and what you SHOULD care about is the trend the dongling sets. A core feature is being taken away from you,

A. Sigh. It doesn't matter if you care or not.

image.thumb.png.31257943288f5eac37916877717d47fe.png

B. this isn't an iPod, they aren't marketed as exclusively music playing devices, this isn't a "core feature"

C. EVEN IF IT IS A CORE FEATURE, IT CAN BE REMEDIED BY A FUCKING $8 DONGLE

This is coming from a guy who wishes his iPhone had a headphone jack... You just sound bitchy and condescending, over a fucking $8 part. Buy the part, and shut the fuck up.

Redmi Note 9 Pro is really good. Snapdragon 720g handles every native android game i throw at it. The only emulators with problems will be ps2 and dreamcast and 3ds.

On 10/5/2022 at 4:08 PM, max668 said:

Hello all

For years I have been using the Samsung s8 64gig and it is time for a change.

I was hoping you guys could help me decide on a new phone. I am a complete noob when it comes to this.
I dont do much on my phone. I only watch youtube and read kindle books but I would like to have something that could last me a long time.

Is there a phone out there that doesnt has preinstalled apps you cant remove?
I live in usa and I my budget is aroud 400 dollars.

before you say iphone... im not sure if I could go back to iphone as they have disabled my account 100 of times for no reason at all.

Having control over my device means a lot to me 🙂

Thanks

You could look at a Motorola, they make pretty good budget phones, depending on what kind of games you're playing, the $150 Motorola G power 2021 should be more than sufficient, 4 gigs of RAM, one of the newer Snapdragon processors, 60 hertz refresh

On 11/10/2022 at 11:10 PM, ThomasPlayz_996 said:

You could look at a Motorola, they make pretty good budget phones, depending on what kind of games you're playing, the $150 Motorola G power 2021 should be more than sufficient, 4 gigs of RAM, one of the newer Snapdragon processors, 60 hertz refresh

I play no games
I have gta on my phone and I never finished it .... Hate playing with touch screen controls

On 11/7/2022 at 11:37 AM, DANK_AS_gay said:

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-USB-C-Headphone-Jack-Adapter/dp/B07K25P3N1/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1RD2ZIIUAUXAA&keywords=usb-c+to+headphone+jack+APple&qid=1667838325&s=electronics&sprefix=usb-c+to+headphone+jack+appl%2Celectronics%2C194&sr=1-3

Man, that $8. I don't know what I would do without it. Appose evil capitalism, how dare they charge an extra 8 dollars for a dongle that can be used with almost any USB-C device, and makes replacing a damaged headphone jack even easier!

The trend is set in stone. Either compromise other features for the headphone jack that can be purchased for $8, or get the stupid dongle. It's not hard.

B. this isn't an iPod, they aren't marketed as exclusively music playing devices, this isn't a "core feature"

This is coming from a guy who wishes his iPhone had a headphone jack... You just sound bitchy and condescending, over a fucking $8 part. Buy the part, and shut the fuck up.

lol Love it !

On 11/7/2022 at 11:37 AM, DANK_AS_gay said:

With all due respect, i didnt come here to be "reprogrammed" like the average mouth breather drone who cant make up things on their own, and be told that 'dongle life is really not that bad'

Sigh. Look, if you dont care about the bloody dongle, i dont care, but i do, and what you SHOULD care about is the trend the dongling sets. A core feature is being taken away from you, and you SHOULD oppose that. On principle. Getting less for your money is not acceptable, hell, with inflation i'd argue that you're getting less for more money actualy

I agree.. i want what I want and I want it ...

Fuck dongles I want to plug in my headphones the old way......

also have you ever left your house and WOOPS I forgot my ❤️ Dongle ❤️

Id hate to be that person .. thats annoying

Yea in that case why dont they include some usb C headphones in the fucking package with the fucking phone...????

Shit you cant even get a fucking charger with a phone now a days. Yes most might already have one but what if they dont?

" this isn't an iPod, they aren't marketed as exclusively music playing devices, this isn't a "core feature"

Heres a fun one its not really marketed as a phone ether but rather a do it all device

On 10/6/2022 at 1:08 AM, max668 said:

Hello all

For years I have been using the Samsung s8 64gig and it is time for a change.

I was hoping you guys could help me decide on a new phone. I am a complete noob when it comes to this.
I dont do much on my phone. I only watch youtube and read kindle books but I would like to have something that could last me a long time.

Is there a phone out there that doesnt has preinstalled apps you cant remove?
I live in usa and I my budget is aroud 400 dollars.

before you say iphone... im not sure if I could go back to iphone as they have disabled my account 100 of times for no reason at all.

Having control over my device means a lot to me 🙂

Thanks

What about Google Pixel 6a / 6? It has pretty good price now, when black friday sells start it costs $389 on bestbuy

4 hours ago, Biola said:

What about Google Pixel 6a / 6? It has pretty good price now, when black friday sells start it costs $389 on bestbuy

Have you ever used Google phones?

yea but someone said that the support for long run can be spotty. Even linus said that in one of his videos

What do you think?

2 hours ago, max668 said:

Have you ever used Google phones?

yea but someone said that the support for long run can be spotty. Even linus said that in one of his videos

What do you think?

Samsung firmware support is 2-3 years, Pixel 4 updates discontinued this year, that mean almost same. But you can get fresh firmware from XDA developers, Pixel is popular there.

Most benefits of Pixel - good camera comparing to other devices for $400.

On 11/20/2022 at 1:21 AM, Biola said:

Samsung firmware support is 2-3 years, Pixel 4 updates discontinued this year, that mean almost same. But you can get fresh firmware from XDA developers, Pixel is popular there.

Most benefits of Pixel - good camera comparing to other devices for $400.

That's not true any more. Samsung officially commits to four years of OS version updates for phones, and you'll likely get security updates for a bit longer. Google is decent, but it tops out at three years for versions and only extends to five years for security patches. Now, Google will deliver updates in a timelier fashion, but it's ironic that Samsung now offers better longer-term support.

Depends on what you want.  I got a decent Pixel for the camera but before that I was getting $200 OnpePlus phones 1-2 generations behind.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator