Use NAS temporarily as a DAS?

Hello,

I'm new to NAS. Currently in a predicament. Is it possible to connect a NAS (that I built) directly to my other pc, and only allow that pc access to the NAS and its RAID 1 functionality? I do not want the NAS to connect to the router or the Wi-Fi. Want it offline for security. Basically, I temporarily want my NAS to act as a DAS. How would I go about this? I have a LAN port on the NAS, so just connect it to my pc over ethernet?

Thanks.

It would only work if you manually enter IP information into your NAS and PC. Both it and your PC do not contain a DHCP server, so they won't be able to communicate unless they both have static (and compatible) IPs set manually.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

52 minutes ago, Darth_Rune said:

Hello,

I'm new to NAS. Currently in a predicament. Is it possible to connect a NAS (that I built) directly to my other pc, and only allow that pc access to the NAS and its RAID 1 functionality? I do not want the NAS to connect to the router or the Wi-Fi. Want it offline for security. Basically, I temporarily want my NAS to act as a DAS. How would I go about this? I have a LAN port on the NAS, so just connect it to my pc over ethernet?

Thanks.

As others said…. Yes. 

But there is no real reason for this. The only real vector in is via other internet connected machines (the NAS itself being on the network won’t have anything actually internet facing). If someone/some virus infects your PC, it likely will try and spread it to your NAS via the SMB share…

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

It's almost certainly unnecessary, but if you're really worried about it the easy thing to do is disconnect your router from the internet. Your local network will be able to connect to each other, but no data will enter or leave your house.

Main rig:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

GPU: Sapphire RX 6800XT

RAM: 2x16GB DDR4

Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I

Storage: 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe, 4TB WD Blue HDD

PSU: Corsair RM850x

Case: Fractal Torrent Nano

NAS:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 4600G

Motherboard: ASRock Rack X470D4U

RAM: 2x16GB DDR4

Storage:

• Boot: 16GB Supermicro SATADOM
  • Pool 1: 2x6TB WD Red Plus HDD mirrored, for bulk storage
  • Pool 2: 2x500GB NVMe SSD mirrored, for apps like Plex and Adguard Home

PSU: Be Quiet SFX-L 600W

Case: Silverstone CS351

"Making all your data accessible to all your devices" is the point of a home NAS.

You can keep your files private with user permissions. As long as someone else doesn't have the password to your account (or the root account), they won't have access to your files.

You could also set up an iSCSI target that only your PC can access, but at that point you might as well just plop a couple high capacity drives in your PC and not deal with the network bottleneck.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Thanks for the replies guys. 

And I understand the "network" part of the NAS and that my request sounds a bit silly. But basically I'll be traveling out of country soon and I will not have router admin privileges or in some cases access to the router at all. And having my NAS on at home and be accessible remotely is not an option. So I'm trying to convert my NAS temporarily into a DAS for me to lug around in my travels. Is it possible? Or are the hardware requirements for a DAS just too different for it to happen? 

I'll be connecting the NAS-converted-to-DAS to my laptop btw when I'm traveling.

My NAS build btw:

___

CPU: 

Intel Pentium Gold G7400 3.7 GHz Dual-Core Processor

___

MOTHERBOARD:

ASRock B660M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard

___

RAM:

Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory

BOOT SSD FOR OS + RAID 1:

TEAMGROUP MS30 128 GB M.2-2280

___

STORAGE:

(×2)   SATA Solid State Drive

Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive

___

CASE:

Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Desktop Case

___

POWER SUPPLY:

Thermaltake Smart 430 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

___

4 hours ago, Darth_Rune said:

Thanks for the replies guys. 

And I understand the "network" part of the NAS and that my request sounds a bit silly. But basically I'll be traveling out of country soon and I will not have router admin privileges or in some cases access to the router at all. And having my NAS on at home and be accessible remotely is not an option. So I'm trying to convert my NAS temporarily into a DAS for me to lug around in my travels. Is it possible? Or are the hardware requirements for a DAS just too different for it to happen? 

I'll be connecting the NAS-converted-to-DAS to my laptop btw when I'm traveling.

My NAS build btw:

___

CPU: 

Intel Pentium Gold G7400 3.7 GHz Dual-Core Processor

___

MOTHERBOARD:

ASRock B660M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard

___

RAM:

Corsair Vengeance LPX 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory

BOOT SSD FOR OS + RAID 1:

TEAMGROUP MS30 128 GB M.2-2280

___

STORAGE:

(×2)   SATA Solid State Drive

Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive

___

CASE:

Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Desktop Case

___

POWER SUPPLY:

Thermaltake Smart 430 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

___

Why can’t you have it on at home? What are the limitations to this?

Why would you not just either add storage to your Pc/laptop, or use a few external drives for this? 4TB of storage is much to little to go through the cost and difficulty of building a NAS. (Oh… it’s already built, why did you build it for such a small amount of storage? I’m all for building a NAS, but 100 dollars worth of harddrives seems like an interesting thing to have built a NAS around). 

I still don’t understand why you can’t just leave it at home, or buy a 4TB external drive and just take that with you. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

For your use case, a >4 TB external drive makes a lot more sense to me than lugging the NAS around as an external drive. Is it hosting services you want to use (but can’t reinstall to a VM or something like that)?

If you’re dead-set on doing this, just connect the NAS and laptop together via Ethernet. Get a USB NIC for the laptop if you plan on using wired networking at the places you’ll be staying.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.