Does enabling REBAR make sense on GTX 1650?

Go to solution Solved by Eigenvektor,
7 hours ago, Evie Struggles With Life said:

I doubt we'll get them here in Ukraine at reasonable prices, unfortunately. Although if we will it's an interesting option, even though 6600 outperforms it at 1080p. Otherwise I have to go with a used 6600 or 6600xt. Hope you're right and it does support rebar on intel cpus

It should, on 10th gen or newer. Here's a benchmark with an RX 6600 & 6800, combined with both AMD CPUs and e.g. Intel i9-10900K/12900K.

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

Nvidia supports it since the RTX 30-series, so no the 1650 does not benefit from it.

Will enabling it make something not work properly?

What about 6500/6600/6600 xt? I'm planning on upgrading if I don't die lol

3 minutes ago, Evie Struggles With Life said:

Will enabling it make something not work properly?

Enabling it simply won't do anything. You need to enable it both in the BIOS and on the GPU side.

3 minutes ago, Evie Struggles With Life said:

What about 6500/6600/6600 xt? I'm planning on upgrading if I don't die lol

Yes, you can use it on RX 6000, provided you have a compatible CPU/motherboard.

See:

AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/smart-access-memory

Nvidia: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-30-series-resizable-bar-support/

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

3 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Enabling it simply won't do anything. You need to enable it both in the BIOS and on the GPU side.

Yes, you can use it on RX 6000, provided you have a compatible CPU/motherboard.

See:

AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/smart-access-memory

Nvidia: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/geforce-rtx-30-series-resizable-bar-support/

Does it work with an intel cpu? Like, not SAM, rebar

Just now, Evie Struggles With Life said:

Does it work with an intel cpu? Like, not SAM, rebar

SAM is resizable bar, it's simply AMD's marketing name for it. It'll also work with supported Intel motherboards.

Intel officially supports it on 10th gen CPUs and up:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000091128/graphics.html

16 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

SAM is resizable bar, it's simply AMD's marketing name for it. It'll also work with supported Intel motherboards.

Intel officially supports it on 10th gen CPUs and up:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000091128/graphics.html

I can enable it on my motherboard but I have i5-10400f. Does it not work on it?

EDIT: apparently it is 10th gen. So if I had rx 6 series I would have been able to benefit from rebar?

Haven’t felt a freaking difference after enabling Rebar on a 3080, maybe Gigabyte screwed up the new BIOS so any advantage was wasted by those knuckleheads.

10 minutes ago, Evie Struggles With Life said:

Same here, I suspect it has more effect on AMD and now Intel GPUs...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

13 minutes ago, Evie Struggles With Life said:

Your CPU supports it. It's a small boost with AMD graphics and is practically a requirement for Intel's new ones. I don't think Nvidia benefits very much, but turning it on won't damage your PC. If for some reason it makes performance worse, which is unlikely, you can just go back into the BIOS and turn it off again.

Main rig:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X

GPU: Sapphire RX 6800XT

RAM: 2x16GB DDR4

Motherboard: Asus ROG B550-I

Storage: 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe, 4TB WD Blue HDD

PSU: Corsair RM850x

Case: Fractal Torrent Nano

NAS:

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 4600G

Motherboard: ASRock Rack X470D4U

RAM: 2x16GB DDR4

Storage:

• Boot: 16GB Supermicro SATADOM
  • Pool 1: 2x6TB WD Red Plus HDD mirrored, for bulk storage
  • Pool 2: 2x500GB NVMe SSD mirrored, for apps like Plex and Adguard Home

PSU: Be Quiet SFX-L 600W

Case: Silverstone CS351

27 minutes ago, Evie Struggles With Life said:

EDIT: apparently it is 10th gen. So if I had rx 6 series I would have been able to benefit from rebar?

Yeah, enabling it in BIOS on its own doesn't do anything. You have to enable it in the BIOS and then tell the GPU to actually use it, which would be possible with an RX 6xxx GPU (in the GPU's driver settings), but not with a GTX 1650. On AMD the setting is called Smart Access Memory, but technically it is simply reBar.

24 minutes ago, PaulFCB said:

Haven’t felt a freaking difference after enabling Rebar on a 3080, maybe Gigabyte screwed up the new BIOS so any advantage was wasted by those knuckleheads.

Based on the benchmarks I've seen, Nvidia doesn't benefit as much as AMD does and it also depends on the game. For some games it can even have a negative effect.

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

Yeah, enabling it in BIOS on its own doesn't do anything. You have to enable it in the BIOS and then tell the GPU to actually use it, which would be possible with an RX 6xxx GPU (in the GPU's driver settings), but not with a GTX 1650. On AMD the setting is called Smart Access Memory, but technically it is simply reBar.

Based on the benchmarks I've seen, Nvidia doesn't benefit as much as AMD does and it also depends on the game. For some games it can even have a negative effect.

Reveal hidden contents

So if I get an amd gpu I need to have rebar enabled an then enable sam in control panel right?

1 minute ago, Evie Struggles With Life said:

So if I get an amd gpu I need to have rebar enabled an then enable sam in control panel right?

Yes, exactly.

Just now, Eigenvektor said:

Yes, exactly.

Considering the wording one would assume sam is different from rebar. Marketing stuff I suppose

43 minutes ago, Evie Struggles With Life said:

Considering the wording one would assume sam is different from rebar. Marketing stuff I suppose

Yeah. AMD were the first to support/enable it, and marketed "SAM" as an AMD feature that improves performance when combining AMD GPUs with AMD CPUs. Many people were quick to point out that it's basically just reBar and shortly afterwards Nvidia added it to their driver and then Intel added it to their boards as well. So in reality everyone has it. However, so far, AMD does seem to benefit the most.

AMD obviously knew it was coming, so they had the chance to optimize their architecture for it, while Nvidia could only add it to their drivers after the fact. Wouldn't surprise me if Nvidia's 40-series closes the gap. Apparently Intel's Arc actually requires it.

5 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Yeah. AMD were the first to support/enable it, and marketed "SAM" as an AMD feature that improves performance when combining AMD GPUs with AMD CPUs. Many people were quick to point out that it's basically just reBar and shortly afterwards Nvidia added it to their driver and then Intel added it to their boards as well. So in reality everyone has it. However, so far, AMD does seem to benefit the most.

AMD obviously knew it was coming, so they had the chance to optimize their architecture for it, while Nvidia could only add it to their drivers after the fact. Wouldn't surprise me if Nvidia's 40-series closes the gap. Apparently Intel's Arc actually requires it.

I doubt we'll get them here in Ukraine at reasonable prices, unfortunately. Although if we will it's an interesting option, even though 6600 outperforms it at 1080p. Otherwise I have to go with a used 6600 or 6600xt. Hope you're right and it does support rebar on intel cpus

7 hours ago, Evie Struggles With Life said:

It should, on 10th gen or newer. Here's a benchmark with an RX 6600 & 6800, combined with both AMD CPUs and e.g. Intel i9-10900K/12900K.

7 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Thanks for the help. Also I changed my mind on intel gpus since 6600 outperforms them at 1080p in most games