Please Buy Intel GPUs.

AlexTheGreatish
2 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

We did over 240 tests on 4 GPUs across 2 CPUs and 2 resolutions in 3 days, I have no clue how you want more performance data.

That user is clearly disappointed you didn't go thru the "Will it Blend" test.  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

5 minutes ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

We did over 240 tests on 4 GPUs across 2 CPUs and 2 resolutions in 3 days, I have no clue how you want more performance data.

Maybe including more of the test results in the video? 🤷‍♂️ There were only 2 to 5 games in the graphs.

3 minutes ago, LapsedMemory said:

That user is clearly disappointed you didn't go thru the "Will it Blend" test.  

Not quite.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Yes, Fine Wine! It's been quite a long time since I've last heard of AMD's Fine Wine tech, Intel should just license it from AMD 😇

19 hours ago, dizmo said:

Maybe including more of the test results in the video? 🤷‍♂️ There were only 2 to 5 games in the graphs.

Are you looking for Gamers Nexus style graphs? I'm pretty sure GN only does a few games when doing their performance bench marks too. In fact, there were only four games tested in the GN video. most of the other metrics were for the temp and fans. In the video it was said that they were only testing against what Intel says that the ARC cards are competing against, and when compared to the Gamers Nexus video GN uses an entire range of cards, from an RTX 3090 to an ARC A380.

Looks like I won't be getting one, since I exclusively play older games and I'm on Linux, refusing to use proprietary drivers. (And someone in the thread said that Intel GPUs won't support Linux.)

I'm in the market for a new GPU in the around $300 range, though. Mostly because my current potato doesn't support PS3 emulation..

Unfortunately it doesn't look like Intel is viable.

54 minutes ago, Bramimond said:

Looks like I won't be getting one, since I exclusively play older games and I'm on Linux, refusing to use proprietary drivers. (And someone in the thread said that Intel GPUs won't support Linux.)

I'm in the market for a new GPU in the around $300 range, though. Mostly because my current potato doesn't support PS3 emulation..

Unfortunately it doesn't look like Intel is viable.

They were incorrect.  Intel already has support for Linux built into kernel version 6.  It might be a few months before your distro officially includes it in the upgrade path, but you can compile it today if you want, or switch to a distro that already has it.

Based on intels history, they are usually one of the better hardware companies for open source.  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

8 hours ago, LapsedMemory said:

They were incorrect.  Intel already has support for Linux built into kernel version 6.  It might be a few months before your distro officially includes it in the upgrade path, but you can compile it today if you want, or switch to a distro that already has it.

Based on intels history, they are usually one of the better hardware companies for open source.  

I would love to buy one, especially an A380 to upgrade the gtx 1650 Kalmx in my Unraid 6.11.0 system, but Unraid has 5.19.x Linux kernel. It's a long way to go until 6.0 adoption. What a shame. Sorry Intel.

1 minute ago, fenna said:

I would love to buy one, especially an A380 to upgrade the gtx 1650 Kalmx in my Unraid 6.11.0 system, but Unraid has 5.19.x Linux kernel. It's a long way to go until 6.0 adoption. What a shame. Sorry Intel.

Linus Torvalds doesn't like large minor revision numbers, so they don't ever get to .20.  

Kernel version 6.0 is version immediately following 5.19, and all indications are it isn't a huge upgrade.  I imagine it won't be too long before Unraid has 6.0.

1 minute ago, LapsedMemory said:

Linus Torvalds doesn't like large minor revision numbers, so they don't ever get to .20.  

Kernel version 6.0 is version immediately following 5.19, and all indications are it isn't a huge upgrade.  I imagine it won't be too long before Unraid has 6.0.

I hope so 😄

10 hours ago, LapsedMemory said:

Intel already has support for Linux built into kernel version 6.

I'm on version 5.4.0 and mostly into old games. I'm not into upgrading to chase the latest hot thing. Also, by old games I mean that I haven't even played games from after 2010. I'm usually at least 15 years behind.

I guess this Intel thing isn't for me right now. Maybe in the future. I'm in no hurry to pick up a new GPU. I wouldn't mind waiting another five to ten years. Got more games than I can reasonably play anyway.

On 10/6/2022 at 7:37 AM, rebelmusician said:

Honestly this GPU looks to be perfect for a media server or for occasional light gaming, which is all I use my PC for anyway. I am definitely considering upgrading to one of these.

Honestly, it very much wouldn't. 

A media server has a few requirements: high efficiency, low cost, reliability, transcoding performance.

Intel ARC is not competitive. Why would you even consider a gpu for a media server? Just get an 11th-gen Intel processor, you need a cpu anyway. That one will be a great, efficient, well-supported platform.

Intel ARC will be less efficient than a modern cpu with igpu. Intel ARC is not yet supported in Linux, and chances are, your choice of distro like TrueNAS might rely on stable releases.

Light gaming is also gonna be a shit-show because that can very well mean older games. It's horrible at gaming as it is. 

You might as be well just get a Ryzen APU and enjoy the decent integrated graphics. It's good enough for light gaming, and they have decent hardware encoders, too.

Intel ARC is only interesting for those who are looking into AV1 encoding RIGHT NOW. By next-gen, Intel won't have that monopoly over affordable AV1 encoding anymore. Do you plan on using AV1 encoding now? 

With an 11th gen Intel CPU, you can do more than a dozen h.264 transcodesv without breaking into a sweat. If you get the latest gen UHD in a 12600K or so, you can do real-time 4K HEVC HDR transcodes with tone-mapping.

People buy cheaper, older quadros for their media servers because they already have a system they don't want to completely replace. They drop in the card and have the lowest possible efficiency losses with these quadros.

Intel ARC is the opposite of efficient. It's less efficient than Nvidia and AMD.

You wouldn't want to use ARC without a 9th-gen and later CPU anyway, because it relies on REsizable Bar. Without it, say goodbye to even light gaming. That same 9th-gen cpu would also be decent as a media server by itself.

Pleasr consider reliability and running costs. Your media server will run 24/7 for years. That is not what first-gen consumer hardware is for. People use these old quadros because they were designed specifically for that purpose.

On 10/7/2022 at 8:08 PM, AlexTheGreatish said:

It would be useful if you could have a standardised bench so you can actually compare more than 4 gpu's kind of like how GN does it so rather than having to benchmark multiple GPU's every single time you make a review you can just use data you've already gathered and be able to make comparisons to various GPU's across multiple generations whenever a new one comes out rather than changing the configuration for every review you make. Maybe now with the lab that will happen at some point.

@AlexTheGreatish

Hey Alex, I know you're not video editor but still want to provide a bit feedback on recent video accessibility issue. (Using this video as an example).

The large potion of the video is not "title safe", as they are not designed with subtitles/close captions in mind. For example, most chart's legend are being blocked, making people with hearing disability or speak different language having a really difficult time understand the context. 

Hope we can see some improvement in future videos! Thanks!

Youtube close caption: image.thumb.png.59b2662cd95678a83dc2102a135bc9bb.png

LTT Chinese channel's burned-in subtitle:
image.thumb.png.9fd1bd764958715071d0d0cd2b1a52c3.png

On 10/5/2022 at 7:49 PM, Quackers101 said:

why?

Shit support in games, garbage drivers, absolutely useless extra software like AMDs screen recording. You can get better quality screen recording using an iPod Touch 2nd Gen to record your screen than AMD's recording software.

AMD GPU is only decent at GPU d*ck measuring contest aka specific hot-topic benchmarks.

11 minutes ago, Just that Mario said:

There's a Chinese LTT channel?

I think fan made on chinese platform (dubbed), not sure if they became a part of LTT or was allowed.

I'm wondering about the XMX for apps just Topaz in the example shown. Is it possible to have one of these cards used for the explicit purpose of AI performance? Would it be worth it?