Jump to content

Used PC build - Need help with parts

Budget (including currency): 500€ (without GPU) USED

Country: Germany

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: In gernal new games, Hogwards Legacy, Cyberpunk, 

Other details: 

Hey there guys!

At the moment im trying to build a PC for my girlfriend but i really dont know what to get. I have a spare MSI GTX 1080 which is going to go inside the build for around 6-8 Months after that she is going to replace it with maybe an RTX 3080 or RTX 3070.

Well my question is which parts should I buy? The parts are going to be used ones from ebay and it should last like 2-3 years (with a replaced GPU).

For example I have a i7 8700k 5Ghz and RTX 3080, which is going to last for the next 1-3 years without any problems. But Im not sure if I should build the exact same build as I have because I cant replace my GPU with for example with a RTX 4080. So is there any Chance i could build a used PC which is around 500€ which could run a RTX 4080 without bottleneck. Otherwise I would go for the i7 8700k.

 

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

 

Thanks for all your help!

codex

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, codex1337 said:

Budget (including currency): 500€ (without GPU) USED

Country: Germany

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: In gernal new games, Hogwards Legacy, Cyberpunk, 

Other details: 

Hey there guys!

At the moment im trying to build a PC for my girlfriend but i really dont know what to get. I have a spare MSI GTX 1080 which is going to go inside the build for around 6-8 Months after that she is going to replace it with maybe an RTX 3080 or RTX 3070.

Well my question is which parts should I buy? The parts are going to be used ones from ebay and it should last like 2-3 years (with a replaced GPU).

For example I have a i7 8700k 5Ghz and RTX 3080, which is going to last for the next 1-3 years without any problems. But Im not sure if I should build the exact same build as I have because I cant replace my GPU with for example with a RTX 4080. So is there any Chance i could build a used PC which is around 500€ which could run a RTX 4080 without bottleneck. Otherwise I would go for the i7 8700k.

 

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

 

Thanks for all your help!

codex

 

Keeping an eye to that future 3080 you’ll want a big power supply. 850 or 750 atx3.0 for the power supply.  Thunderbolt/usb4 is also well liked but getting it on a microATX board is hard.   So probably atx. Girls like little computers?  Itx if you’re flush maybe?  Gaming doesn’t need top end processors.  I’m a fan of 8/16 because possible compatibility, but a lot of people are just going 6/12 atm.  The case will matter for visuals.   Is there a use case for this thing other than gaming? VM? Compiling?  arts stuff?  Hardcore spreadsheets?  How does she feel about rgb?  It’s likely to be “oh god no!” or “YES!!”  (I’m in the “oh god no!” camp myself)

How do you feel about AMD? Would you care if her machine had a faster cpu than yours? (That one might actually be hard but it can be pulled off). It might be you want to swap cards, give her yours, and buy something bigger.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Keeping an eye to that future 3080 you’ll want a big power supply. 850 or 750 atx3.0 for the power supply.  Thunderbolt/usb4 is also well liked but getting it on a microATX board is hard.   So probably atx. Girls like little computers?  Itx if you’re flush maybe?  Gaming doesn’t need top end processors.  I’m a fan of 8/16 because possible compatibility, but a lot of people are just going 6/12 atm.  The case will matter for visuals.   Is there a use case for this thing other than gaming? VM? Compiling?  arts stuff?  Hardcore spreadsheets?  How does she feel about rgb?  It’s likely to be “oh god no!” or “YES!!”  (I’m in the “oh god no!” camp myself)

How do you feel about AMD? Would you care if her machine had a faster cpu than yours? (That one might actually be hard but it can be pulled off). It might be you want to swap cards, give her yours, and buy something bigger.

Well i would go with something like bequiet 500dx. Its a small case but has good airflow. I dont really want to go too small or too big thats why I think the 500dx is a good fit. Maybe im getting some nice art on the case of her favorite anime or sth. 

 

I would go with an AMD Cpu but im more into intel knowledge than amd. I know that the new CPUs from AMD are great in gaming performance. I would be happy if her machine is faster than mine that would be awesome but im not sure if I could get that with a budget of 500€.

I already found a 1000W Powersupply for around 90€ which I am going to buy as soon as possible. Probably going to switch it with mine (850W).

Well RGB would be cool i guess but its her first PC so I think it is budget over looks and the next one is going to be way prettier tho 😄

 

You have something in your mind with the AMD question?

If I would go with the i7 8700k OC variant I am going to need exactly 500€ but the i7 is old thats my main issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

AMD CPUs have cheaper motherboards.  Sometimes the intel solution is not the best one, sometimes it is.  A 12400 or a 5600 will wipe the floor with an 8700k though they still work fine to game on.  
regarding AMD There’s only three pieces of knowledge that aren’t about overclocking.  

One is they like to have the most current bios, two the memory speed thing has a different acronym but behaves identically.

this also goes for three which is the resizable bar also has a different name but also behaves identically.

 

OC is a whole different animal but that’s expected and it’s not as useful as it used to be anyway.

 

AMD can be more picky about memory. Actually looking at the QVL isn’t the worst idea. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

How about a 4000d airflow in white?  It’s better rated and slightly cheaper.  Plus color. Also that case isn’t useful if you’re trying to stay away from rgb. It’s all down the middle of the front.  There are also cases almost as good for half that much money since it seems to be a concern.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

AMD option: has tb3

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Asus PRIME B550-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($135.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Silicon Power GAMING 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($44.95 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($99.99 @ Adorama) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX ATX Mid Tower Case  ($109.90 @ B&H) 
Total: $440.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-05 11:31 EDT-0400 used 5600 CPUs with a cooler seem to be going for around $115-$125 on ebay.  Cut the case a bit and go with a cheaper nvme and it could hit.  There are some nice $80 cases out there. I’ve got one.
 

lg1700 motherboard options with thunderbolt start around $200 and the 12400f is more expensive too.  used seems to be $160-$200.  They were all way out of budget.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your help!

 

At the moment im thinkg about this:

 

Pure Base 500dx             = 100€

Ryzen 5 5700x or G        = 200€

Asus Prime B550 Plus    = 130€

DDR4 16GB 3200Mhz    = 60 - 80€

PowerSupply (850W)      = 90€

 

But im not sure about the PowerSupply. Someone bought a used one? Im dont know if i should but it used...

About the storage, I will see if there is any discount somewhere in the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, codex1337 said:

Thanks for your help!

 

At the moment im thinkg about this:

 

Pure Base 500dx             = 100€

Ryzen 5 5700x or G        = 200€

Asus Prime B550 Plus    = 130€

DDR4 16GB 3200Mhz    = 60 - 80€

PowerSupply (850W)      = 90€

 

But im not sure about the PowerSupply. Someone bought a used one? Im dont know if i should but it used...

About the storage, I will see if there is any discount somewhere in the future.

Power supplies are the least reliable thing to buy used for PCs.  Cases and CPUs all day, graphics card and motherboards should be tested before money changes hands. PSUs and storage are bottom tier.  
 

A 5600g requires an entirely different rig.  And thunderbolt is out.  As are big video cards. The thing about the 5600g is it’s pcie is gimped.  There’s a reason it’s cheaper and that’s it. 
 

It doesn’t do pcie 4 at all, and it’s out channels are 8 to the top slot and 8 to other slots.  So very high end video cards or video cards that rely on pcie 4 to get enough bandwidth (like the 6400) cannot be used without degradation.  With the 6400 it’s really bad.  As in slower than a 1650 vs much faster.
 

If you go 5600g it would be a bottom tier b450 or an a series board (so like 50-60)  That IS another way to save the money and your video card won’t be bothered by pcie3 x8 at all.  Anything bigger than a 2080 will though. There are some cards that just need more bandwidth and it doesn’t have it.  Used 5600gs are about 20 cheaper than used 5600s on eBay.  Set it up with something like a low end b450 or a520 and it will kick the 8700ks butt.  The 8700k will take 3080 though and the 5600g won’t.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2022 at 6:47 PM, Bombastinator said:

Power supplies are the least reliable thing to buy used for PCs.  Cases and CPUs all day, graphics card and motherboards should be tested before money changes hands. PSUs and storage are bottom tier.  
 

A 5600g requires an entirely different rig.  And thunderbolt is out.  As are big video cards. The thing about the 5600g is it’s pcie is gimped.  There’s a reason it’s cheaper and that’s it. 
 

It doesn’t do pcie 4 at all, and it’s out channels are 8 to the top slot and 8 to other slots.  So very high end video cards or video cards that rely on pcie 4 to get enough bandwidth (like the 6400) cannot be used without degradation.  With the 6400 it’s really bad.  As in slower than a 1650 vs much faster.
 

If you go 5600g it would be a bottom tier b450 or an a series board (so like 50-60)  That IS another way to save the money and your video card won’t be bothered by pcie3 x8 at all.  Anything bigger than a 2080 will though. There are some cards that just need more bandwidth and it doesn’t have it.  Used 5600gs are about 20 cheaper than used 5600s on eBay.  Set it up with something like a low end b450 or a520 and it will kick the 8700ks butt.  The 8700k will take 3080 though and the 5600g won’t.

It was the PSU. I tried it with mine and it worked. It even crashed in BIOS after 10mins. So I ran it with mine 850w PSU and there we go. 1 Hour bios without any crash. Sad but true. Never experienced a false PSU.

 

Thanks everyone for the help!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, codex1337 said:

It was the PSU. I tried it with mine and it worked. It even crashed in BIOS after 10mins. So I ran it with mine 850w PSU and there we go. 1 Hour bios without any crash. Sad but true. Never experienced a false PSU.

 

Thanks everyone for the help!

LTT did a video on PSUs recently that was imho pretty good. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

 

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×