PC shutting off under load; don't know what to do anymore

faraelfarael

Motherboard: ASRock B450m (bios 2.50)

Windows 10
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
Cooler: Deepcool AK400 

RAM: 4x8gb Crucial Ballistix 2666mhz
PSU: XPG Core Reactor 850W (Also tested two other PSUs)
Disk: 1 XPG Gammix 240gb NVME, 1 SSD WD GREEN SATA 240gb, 1 HD Seagate Barracuda 2TB
VGA: GTX 1660

Hey.  I'm coming to Linus Tech Tips as one of my last hopes. I have this problem that is bothering me for almost 1 year now. Basically, my computer completely shuts off when under load, and I have to wait sometime before I can turn it on again. It doesn't even have to be a heavy load; sometimes it shut off while I'm playing Valorant. It's like I've took the power plug off.

At first I thought it was overheating, so I bought a new CPU Cooler and Case. No Fix. Then, I thought it might be the PSU, maybe it was faulty and shutting itself off or the wattage wasn't sufficient anymore, who knows? I had a Coolermaster MWE V2 Bronze 550W, and encountered the same problem using a EVGA 500W White. So I Bought a 850W XPG Core Reactor to test it, with no fix also.

I'm a video editor so I do a lot of rendering. And sometimes it shuts off while I'm rendering, too. When testing with OCCT Power option, it shut off in 2min50s when using the Coolermaster PSU, and in 4min45s when using the XPG PSU.

What do you guys think is causing this problem? Is there any other information I can give you to help me solve this?

Thanks in advance!

Possibly triggering a short detection.

Try unplugging your extra storage drives, and unplugging all peripherals after you get OCCT up and running, just to take that out of the equation.  (if you happen to have a PS/2 keyboard (like I do), don't pull that.  That's a no-no.  USB is fine)

Bad RAM can also occasionally result in abrupt shutdowns.  Try removing all but one stick.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE!

So, today I took my PC to a friends house, where we made all kinds of tests. All results below are from OCCT Power Stress Test.

My setup, stock, no substitutions: shut off in 3min36s
GPU Substitution, RTX 2060 in my setup: shut off in 2min08s
CPU Substitution, Ryzen 2600 in my setup: shut off in 7min00s
My GTX 1660 on other setup: 7 minute test, no shut off
All my setup (CPU, GPU, memory sticks and SSD NVME) in another motherboard (AB350M): 20 minutes test, no shut off.

Those tests made me think that the problem is my MOBO. Some short may be triggering the OCP when under load.
Do you agree with this diagnosis? Maybe think its something else?

On 10/5/2022 at 3:55 AM, kuchikirukia said:

Possibly triggering a short detection.

Take a look at the results I got today! Thanks in advance.