Selfhosted e-mail webclient

Hey,

With the latest WAN show topic of Outlook vs GMail i wanted to seek a bit of help/provide a list of mail webclients I tested as an outlook replacement over the last years or so.

I aim this to be a list for others that want to move to a self-hosted alternative and for me that did not find the "right" solution yet to ask for help.

I will try to add my personal take on each one of them and what ultimately made me decide against it.

Cypht

Not quite up to standard for me with the UI style. does support multiple accounts. Does have a Docker image but is not updated in over a year. The last official release is over a year ago and bugs are not regularly fixed/responded to.

- Horde: IMP - The Horde Project

Looks very old school. does support multiple accounts. Does not have a Docker image.

- Isotope Mail: https://blog.marcnuri.com/isotope-mail-client-introduction/

Looks decent (style is aligned to gmail). 'does' support multiple accounts but not in one aggregated inbox. No Rules management. No Contacts view. No Calender View.
- mailpile: Mailpile: e-mail that protects your privacy
A bit cartoonish UI but overall ok. Good number of options to tinker with. Plugin support (own ecosystem). TLS & GnuPG support. Does have planned multi account support. No docker image. According to author not production ready.

- roundcube: Roundcube - Free and Open Source Webmail Software
Great UI for someone that comes from outlook web. Plugin Support (own ecosystem). Established mail UI. PGP support. Does have a Docker image. Does not support multiple accounts, however with a plugin switching between accounts is possible.
- Rainloop: RainLoop Webmail

A bit outdated UI. Does support Contacts management. No Docker image. Multi account is supported but not on same browser Tab. No Rules management.
- snappymail: SnappyMail, your webmail client - SnappyMail

Fork of Rainloop that adds some minor features.

- squirrelmail: SquirrelMail - Webmail for Nuts!

Just awful UI. No active development. No Docker Image. 

- SOGo: SOGo | Open Source Groupware

Good UI. Does have a lot of adaptation. Contacts management. Calendar Mangement. Does have 3rd party Docker images. Does have rules management. Does have "aggregated" multi account support, although i found it very buggy. No Pgp Support. Could not get IMAP integration to work with outlook.com. Closest i can get to my needs.

- AfterLogic Webmail Lite: Afterlogic WebMail Lite PHP
OKish UI. PGP Support. Two Factor Auth support. Contact management. Rules management. Good browser Document Viewer. Multi account support behind a paywall.
- libremail: mikegioia/libremail (github.com)

Good UI. Way to complicated/complex to setup for me to really try out / no docker image. Not Production ready.

Im my opinion SOGo and AfterLogic were both closest to be usable for my usecase. However, i would like to hear any alternatives.

• 10 months later...

I  wonder if you ever found a good solution for multi-account webmail?

I just set up a server with Cypht, but i feel my brain cells dying while using it..the interface looks janky AF

No not really. Currently i drive mailcow self hosted with the intigrated sogo client. I created my own janky dark mode theme for it and it still does not really support multi account very well in my opinion.