Low Budget Build for a friend

Hey there,
me and some friends want to (gift) our friend a pc, or rather some money which he can use in order to buy and build a pc. Up until now he was playing on some old MSI Gaming Laptop which was always overheating so I feel like most things will be a great upgrade for him. Anyways since he is not that tech-savvy we want to "give him a suggestion build", which we think would fit him however I wanted to ask if there might be some improvements or anything since I only watch the LTT and LMG videos however don't build or shop a lot of pcs myself ^^

Budget (including currency): 
~600 €

Germany

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 
Mostly gaming, otherwise broad general usage like watching streams, listening to music etc.. Games include League of Legends, Valorant, Teamfight Tactics, Overwatch 2

Other details
Here is the build I have come up with so far and which I want to ask some questions about (it's just an edited version of the budget amd build pcpartspicker offers). (My settings are on Germany it seems like some parts are not available in the US fyi)
https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/HwrrPX

- Most notably the build doesn't include a gpu (yet). Since Gpus are quite expensive and in gameslike League they are not that important which is definetly the main game of my friend. Furthermore I was wondering whether it made sense to buy new gpus in the current state of the market. However are there any recommendations in the 100-150€ category maybe even for looking on the second hand market. And where would one look ? As a german I'd think Ebay ("Kleinanzeigen") is the place to go however maybe there are better options.

- The cpu is a year old which I was wondering about. Probably it's worth since it might be a bit cheaper that way and the nice thing is that it has included graphics so the friend could use the pc without at gpu at first and then look for some time for a fitting gpu. Furthermore as far as I know budget usually means amd however I might be mistaken so feel free to correct me on that or suggest another cpu (from intel or also amd)

- The cooler is from cooler master since I have been using one for some years and it seems like a cheap reputable brand. It also seems to fit in the case (as far as I can tell) so that's that

- The Motherboard is the suggested one I'd really like to get some input on that. I don't know the brand so I am not really sure. And also what would it cost to get a wifi module or rather a motherboard with onboard wifi. I feel like there are some better options in this category which I don't know about so feel free to suggest any fitting similar motherboards.

- The Storage and RAM seem like a nobrainer, Crucial seems pretty reputable as well as G Skill and they are the cheapest options as far as I can tell (as far as I can tell the NVME m.2 drive I chose is compatible with the motherboard, otherwise please correct me on that ^^)

- The case is the somewhat cheap option I found which doesn't look horrible. The suggested one from pcpartspicker is the Fractal Design Focus G which I really dislike the looks of, so I went for this one. If there is anything similar or opinions on the case feel free to suggest something again since this is not my territory of any expertise either.

- The last thing is the power supply. I went for SeaSonic (since LTT always praises them and they seem very reputable and worth it). However the question is whether a 500W or a 650W power supply would be the one to go for. For one the 500W one is only bronce rated (whatever that means specifically) and the bigger question is expandability. Since a 650 W power supply gives more headroom for expansion. However maybe 650W is a bit much since the estimated wattage of the build on pcpartspicker is currently 160W and more than 340W for a Gpu seems like a lot, however I don't know.

Thank you in advance for any tips. As mentioned above this is kind of a budget build however we would like to suggest a build to our friend which leaves some room for expandability and is somewhat worth and usable for some time to come (hopefully) 🙂

Best wishes,
Raoul

7 minutes ago, RaoulWasTaken said:

Hey there,
me and some friends want to (gift) our friend a pc, or rather some money which he can use in order to buy and build a pc. Up until now he was playing on some old MSI Gaming Laptop which was always overheating so I feel like most things will be a great upgrade for him. Anyways since he is not that tech-savvy we want to "give him a suggestion build", which we think would fit him however I wanted to ask if there might be some improvements or anything since I only watch the LTT and LMG videos however don't build or shop a lot of pcs myself ^^

~600 €

Germany

Mostly gaming, otherwise broad general usage like watching streams, listening to music etc.. Games include League of Legends, Valorant, Teamfight Tactics, Overwatch 2

Other details
Here is the build I have come up with so far and which I want to ask some questions about (it's just an edited version of the budget amd build pcpartspicker offers). (My settings are on Germany it seems like some parts are not available in the US fyi)

- Most notably the build doesn't include a gpu (yet). Since Gpus are quite expensive and in gameslike League they are not that important which is definetly the main game of my friend. Furthermore I was wondering whether it made sense to buy new gpus in the current state of the market. However are there any recommendations in the 100-150€ category maybe even for looking on the second hand market. And where would one look ? As a german I'd think Ebay ("Kleinanzeigen") is the place to go however maybe there are better options.

- The cpu is a year old which I was wondering about. Probably it's worth since it might be a bit cheaper that way and the nice thing is that it has included graphics so the friend could use the pc without at gpu at first and then look for some time for a fitting gpu. Furthermore as far as I know budget usually means amd however I might be mistaken so feel free to correct me on that or suggest another cpu (from intel or also amd)

- The cooler is from cooler master since I have been using one for some years and it seems like a cheap reputable brand. It also seems to fit in the case (as far as I can tell) so that's that

- The Motherboard is the suggested one I'd really like to get some input on that. I don't know the brand so I am not really sure. And also what would it cost to get a wifi module or rather a motherboard with onboard wifi. I feel like there are some better options in this category which I don't know about so feel free to suggest any fitting similar motherboards.

- The Storage and RAM seem like a nobrainer, Crucial seems pretty reputable as well as G Skill and they are the cheapest options as far as I can tell (as far as I can tell the NVME m.2 drive I chose is compatible with the motherboard, otherwise please correct me on that ^^)

- The case is the somewhat cheap option I found which doesn't look horrible. The suggested one from pcpartspicker is the Fractal Design Focus G which I really dislike the looks of, so I went for this one. If there is anything similar or opinions on the case feel free to suggest something again since this is not my territory of any expertise either.

- The last thing is the power supply. I went for SeaSonic (since LTT always praises them and they seem very reputable and worth it). However the question is whether a 500W or a 650W power supply would be the one to go for. For one the 500W one is only bronce rated (whatever that means specifically) and the bigger question is expandability. Since a 650 W power supply gives more headroom for expansion. However maybe 650W is a bit much since the estimated wattage of the build on pcpartspicker is currently 160W and more than 340W for a Gpu seems like a lot, however I don't know.

Thank you in advance for any tips. As mentioned above this is kind of a budget build however we would like to suggest a build to our friend which leaves some room for expandability and is somewhat worth and usable for some time to come (hopefully) 🙂

Best wishes,
Raoul

Hi, instead of that Cooler Master cooler you can use BOX one that comes with CPU 😉

Rest is looking fine, but if your friend will do an upgrade and add GPU this PSU can be good.

I would reccomend getting other motherboard B550 too but maybe with safer cooling around it.

Maybe try something from MSI? They have good boards for really good prices 🙂

If you want to be 100% sure about picked MOBO you can find good list here 

I'm here to help you out with some basic tasks, I'm still learning some things, so don't belive I can solve everything 😉

I'm collecting all type of hardware - 90% of my collection is a LGA775 stuff rest is some 2010's Era

Hit me up on discord if you want to talk more

heli #1337

As far as I can tell the only other boards in the sub 100€ category would be the Asus PRIME B450-PLUS ATX and MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
However both would not fit to the RAM so I'd have to chose other modules. Which of the two are recommendable? They seem pretty similar except that the MSI one supports higher clock speeds

3 minutes ago, RaoulWasTaken said:

Hey there,

~600 €

Germany

Other details

Best wishes,
Raoul

Maybe seasonic is not the best choise for low budget? I don't know local prices, but maybe look at the PSU cultist list for acceptable alternatives. Or maybe its just a really good deal, and in that case go for it. Im very much into seasonic as a brand myself, but im also willing to pay the premium 🙂
https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

Regarding GPU.

The prices are not THAT crazy anymore. In Denmark you can get the rx 6600 for very decent prices. There is still a premium on Nvidia and the higher end AMD cards.

Or as you say, look for used cards. I have no experience with the integrated graphics on the AMD CPUs, but the common notion seems to be, that you get better performance even with a pretty old dedicated GPU.

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)