Amateur YouTube video editing and gaming when/if I find the time

BikeGremlin
Go to solution Solved by BeastyB314,

Honestly, this list seems great. You did a great job fitting a UPS in your budget, while also being able to keep the rest of your parts reasonably powerful. This seems like it would work well for your use.

Budget (including currency):  $1000 great, $2000 OK, $3000 if it makes sense/is necessarry

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: DaVinci Resolve + FRP and strategy games mostly

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 1440p 27" monitor, external HDD and mouse/keyboard I already have, not buying any peripherals.

The time has come to "renew" my almost a decade old PC.

Intended use?
Win10 (until they start literally forcing an upgrade to 11 smile.gif ).
Amateur video editing using DaVinci Resolve (YouTube, 1080p, but would like to be able to work with 4k 60fps videos if such recordings come along).
Not very demanding virtual machines run from Windows using VirtualBox.
Gaming - love it, but hardly ever find the time for it. Nonetheless, I'd like the PC to run all the current games on decent settings, in 1440p and 60fps (my monitor was built and is used mostly for writing&reading, and it won't go over 60 fps for better or for worse 🙂 ).

Budget?
As little as possible, without having any problems working. I.e. saving $500 is OK if it doesn't sacrifice the performance, and vice-versa for adding $500.

Note

Yes, I'm aware the new Ryzen is out, Nvidia 4000, DDR5, and the new Intel is around the corner.

I waited for the Ryzen 7000 and don't really like what I see (2mm extra material between the chip and the lid, just to keep the same CPU "height" for old cooler compatibility looks like a bad idea). Have similar doubds about Intel. So I think it's a good idea to let the others do the beta testing, and switch to a new platform in 2-3 years time.

This is my rough sketch (with rough prices in Hungary nowadays - Serbia is more expensive) - I'm open to corrections & suggestions:

1) UPS
APC BX1600MI-GR UPS
~ 210 euros

Frequent electricity "hiccups" in my street, and the UPS I have is 900VA, powering PC, Monitor, and Router. It's about 5 years old, and I think I'll just replace the battery and put it to another use.
This one should give me a little bit of headroom - though with the new CPU + GPU generations, I suppose one will need some industrial-grade power and UPSs.  🙂

But, UPS, PSU and motherboards are a bad idea to skimp on in my opinion and experience (correct me if I'm wrong).

2) CPU
AMD Ryzen™ 7 5700X Desktop Processor
~280 euros

It should be fit for the job. Future-proofing is a waste of money in my experience (over the years I've been "following the scene).

When I need more power, I'll probably replace the whole Motherboard+CPU+RAM and call it a day.

I did consider a Ryzen 9 5900x (~150 euros more), maybe a more powerful graphics card (Nvidia 3070), but if this setup is good for the job, it would be just a needless expense (the price difference is big here), for some highly-questionable "future-proofing."

Correct me if I'm wrong.

3) CPU cooler
NOCTUA - NH-D15S
~ 100 euros

Good and silent cooling. I hope they will provide adapters for newer motherboard generations (they did that so far).

Does it make sense to save here? If so - which model is of high quality and with a significantly lower price?

4) Motherboard
ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II
~ 150 euros

Is this is a high-quality board? 570s motherboards cost a lot more, and AM4 is being retired, so I don't see a point in spending more.

Likewise, I'd look to buy a high-quality B550 motherboard. Good power supply and motherboard save time and nerves in the long run by providing good stability.

5) RAM
Kingston FURY Renegade 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3600MHz KF436C16RB1K2/32
~ 150 euros

Two 16GB modules should do it. It is my understanding that the Ryzen 5000 generation works nicely with 3600Mhz RAM.

6) Graphics card
ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti OC 8GB GDDR6 256bit LHR (TUF-RTX3060TI-O8G-V2-GAMING)
~ 580 euros

I'm looking to by a decent-quality Nvidia 3060 Ti graphics card.
I suppose AMD gives better bang for the buck, but DaVinci Resolve works a lot better with Nvidia - that's life.
3070 costs a lot more (~200 euros more).

7) NVMe drive
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB (MZ-V7S2T0BW)
~ 200 euros

I've had a great experience with Samsung SSDs, so am happy to pay their prices. 2TB should be enough for all I need (moving the finished results to a HDD).

Maybe I could "get away" with 1TB, but as I like to joke: there's no amount of storage that human stupidity can't fill up.  🙂

8) PSU
Corsair RMx Series RM750x 2018 750W Gold (CP-9020179)
~ 140 euros

It is my understanding that my favourite PSU brand, Seasonic, doesn't play very well with Nvidia (dind't write down the source, while quick googling gave this forum topic).

RM650x should be enough, based on this tool's results:

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

It's about ~50 euros cheaper.

RM750x will work closer to 50% load, and, it might have a bit higher-quality components (or not - couldn't confirm that).

I suppose that either of the two will not suffice for any future upgrades, based on how power-hungry the new CPUs and graphics cards are.

9) Housing
Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mesh White
~ 150 euros

Not cheap, but unless they make any drastic changes, it should suffice for most future builds.

At least until I'm forced to use water cooling (which I'll try to avoid for as long as it makes any sense).

Not planning any overclocking (not my cup of tea), apart from setting the RAM to run at 3600Mhz instead of the default (3200?).

Does this seem reasonable?

Do you think something should be swapped for a higher-end, or cut to a lower-end model?

BikeGremlin
Mostly Harmless ™

Honestly, this list seems great. You did a great job fitting a UPS in your budget, while also being able to keep the rest of your parts reasonably powerful. This seems like it would work well for your use.

Don't sleep on sleeper PCs

Dosent look too bad, but I'd look at getting intel instead, somewhere around a 12600kf since it'll beat the 5700x in most things. If you do swap from intel then I'd lower the ram to 3200 cl16.

I'd look into a bit cheaper storage options like the wd blue 

The nh d15 is a fine cooler, but others like the ak620 are usually cheaper and cool just as well

Usually in European countries the fractal design ion gold is on the cheaper side of psus and Is still great quality, so I'd reccommend looking at that 

57 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

Dosent look too bad, but I'd look at getting intel instead, somewhere around a 12600kf since it'll beat the 5700x in most things. If you do swap from intel then I'd lower the ram to 3200 cl16.

I'd look into a bit cheaper storage options like the wd blue 

The nh d15 is a fine cooler, but others like the ak620 are usually cheaper and cool just as well

Usually in European countries the fractal design ion gold is on the cheaper side of psus and Is still great quality, so I'd reccommend looking at that 

Thanks.  🙂

Just checked the HU prices online.

Minimal savings with the other cooler (~15 euros), and similar for the PSU.

Regarding Intel:

Am I correct to assume that the "E-cores" don't play very nicely with Windows 10 and/or Linux?

Also, should I expect to pay more for a comparable-quality 1700 motherboard, compared to an AM4 one?

BikeGremlin
Mostly Harmless ™

2 hours ago, BikeGremlin said:

Am I correct to assume that the "E-cores" don't play very nicely with Windows 10 and/or Linux?

Also, should I expect to pay more for a comparable-quality 1700 motherboard, compared to an AM4 one?

The e cores are fine with win 10, it'll juts perform a bit worse with windows scheduler. As for Linux, I've heard some not good things with e cores, though I'm not sure how it is currently. If you want then the 5700x is still a fince choice