Which Benchmarks to Run to Compare New GPU with Old

mishmish

Hey All, I've posted a few times here in the past about upgrading my gpu. Currently I have an MSI RX 580 4gb, and initially I was planning on going with an RX 6600, but lately the RX 6650 XT's have come down in price, and I'm hoping they will continue to do so after AMD releases their new GPUS. Anyways, I was wondering about about really measuring the increase in FPS on my system. I wasnt sure if there was anything more detailed then just running a few games in benchmark mode and jotting down the difference, or if I should get some actual benchmarks, and which ones.

For what its worth, I run everything on a 1440p 144hz monitor, and the rest of the system is as follows:
R5 3600

16 GB Ram

MSI B350m

RX 580 4GB

EVGA 650W G2 PSU

16 minutes ago, mishmish said:

just running a few games in benchmark mode and jotting down the difference

This is realistically the only one that actually matters, the canned benchmarks carry over very little to the actual games. 

16 minutes ago, mishmish said:

if I should get some actual benchmarks, and which ones.

These are more fun, but only really if you're into overclocking. If you want to try these out, the 3DMark suite is a good idea, same with the Unigine benchmarks (Heaven, Valley, Superposition), but their performance doesn't really translate into games fully (If you just look at 3DMark Fire Strike, you'd think that the 6950 XT is the fastest GPU made, but a 3090 Ti will still regularly outperform it in almost everything but Fire Strike unless the 6950 XT is heavily overclocked). 

Off topic, but 6650 XT and 6600 XT price difference is not worth the performance difference, at all.

I'd suggest to find 6700 XT, you purchase a GPU for future games also, not just current games, 6600XT is an excellent 1080p card, but just enough for 1440p. Here FYR https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

As for benchmark, yes, just games benchmark, synthetic benchmark is good for overclocking but it doesn't translate to real world usage, at least for gaming.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

3 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

This is realistically the only one that actually matters, the canned benchmarks carry over very little to the actual games. 

This is helpful, thank you!

3 hours ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Off topic, but 6650 XT and 6600 XT price difference is not worth the performance difference, at all.

I'd suggest to find 6700 XT, you purchase a GPU for future games also, not just current games, 6600XT is an excellent 1080p card, but just enough for 1440p. Here FYR https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

Oh I'm for sure always open to suggestions! I think I was leaning toward the RX 6650xt because I pretty much previously settled on a RX 6600 (non xt). The 6600's I'm seeing hovering around $250 in the US, and just recently have seen the 6650 xt's get as low as $300. For some reason the 6600 xt's seem to be prices the same as a 6650xt or higher. $300 is kind of the max I want to spend for a gpu, so I probably wouldn't consider a 6700xt right now. I guess another way I reason is that I've been using a RX 580 4gb for the last 4 years, and has done well, but with a new gpu I'll obviously get a boost in performance, but at the same time one that runs cooler, and hopefully a little quieter, I've had issues with this gpu just getting too hot. I'm interested to see how prices get affected (or not) when amd releases their new line, but we'll see I guess. Thank you very much for your suggestion!