New PC essentials

Hello!

I will have a new pc around the 20th this month, I haven't built one for years and was curious, what are some essential programs you would install on a new build? This can be just about anything from monitoring software, anti-virus, clean up tools, etc. Would appreciate any suggestions, thank you!

Absolutely NO antivirus software or cleanup tools, they are all bloatware. I use Malwarebytes and immediately uninstall it as soon as a scan has been completed. As for monitoring software HWInfo64 is great.

I keep HWINFO64 on there, MSI Afterburner for GPU overclocking and an in game overlay for temps and clock speeds, and FanControl for (you guessed it) fan control. That's about it, there's some other things I install for one reason or another (Notepad++, WinDirStat, a bunch of benchmarks, etc.), but they're the ones for monitoring. Windows Defender is good enough for an anti-virus, so just use that, maybe supplemented by Malwarebytes if need be. 

51 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

Absolutely NO antivirus software or cleanup tools, they are all bloatware. I use Malwarebytes and immediately uninstall it as soon as a scan has been completed. As for monitoring software HWInfo64 is great.

Thank you so much! saved me there!

39 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I keep HWINFO64 on there, MSI Afterburner for GPU overclocking and an in game overlay for temps and clock speeds, and FanControl for (you guessed it) fan control. That's about it, there's some other things I install for one reason or another (Notepad++, WinDirStat, a bunch of benchmarks, etc.), but they're the ones for monitoring. Windows Defender is good enough for an anti-virus, so just use that, maybe supplemented by Malwarebytes if need be. 

Thank you again! =] I will add these to the list!

CCleaner isn't so bad, if you have limited storage space, a regular temps or junk files cleanup is very necessary.

Just set it to only open when you open it, and not open when windows started.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

5 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

CCleaner isn't so bad, if you have limited storage space, a regular temps or junk files cleanup is very necessary.

Just set it to only open when you open it, and not open when windows started.

CCleaner isn't really needed on Win 10 or 11.  Clearing temp files is easy to do right in Windows, Disk Cleanup / Storage Sense accomplishes the same thing.

Considering CCleaner has had a couple security breaches in the last couple years IMO it's doesn't make sense to install aftermarket software that isn't doing anything different from the built-in OS tools.