I am cursed and I have run out of ideas (RYZEN issues posting even after swapping every single component around)

jyrru

Hi, all!

I am sorry for the long post but I am sure some of you might find this mystery quite interesting…

I will post my current built here before the storytelling starts

MSI Tomahawk MAX II B450

Ryzen 3900x

2x 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws (3600mhz CL18)

Corsair Rm750X PSU

Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founder's Edition

WD Blue 1TB HDD

Adata Swordfish 500gb m.2

Sandisk SSD of some sorts

I am a longtime fan of LTT but I have never been to the forum before this very day when my cup of anger and confusion has finally filled to the brim and I need some serious help. In short my computer randomly crashes and thereafter won't post sometimes (it will either give me a CPU or RAM error, also sometimes the CPU fans won't start spinning and sometimes it won't even power on).

My initial build was a Ryzen 1600 with a B350 board by Gigabyte I believe (?), Corsair Vengeance DDR4 memory (2x8gb sticks, 2933mhz, CL16), a shitty 550w PSU and a 1050Ti. At first the XMP profile sometimes caused the computer to not post, RAM error. Clearing the CMOS sometimes helped, sometimes didn’t, using just one stick to get the system running and then sticking two back in helped quite often at first but seemed to gradually become a more and more useless solution (?!) If it was a bad day and I'd been messing about all day with swapping memories, clearing CMOS etc then sometimes leaving the computer off all night seemed to help for it to start booting again. Eventually I just disabled XMP and lived a happy life for about a year when at one point my computer crashed and upon restarting I got the same old RAM red light (no XMP this time).

Now, this time I had another DDR4 memory stick (a Patriot 2133mhz CL15 of some sorts) for testing which to my surprise gave the exact same error. I proceeded to test out different slots, took out my CPU, cleaned everything, put it back together and well, it worked with the backup RAM after a very frustrating back and forth all day. I then inserted my old RAM sticks back in and voila- smooth sailing. For a while at least...

A few months later my computer started freezing from time to time and I always used the backup stick to get my computer to boot and then I could use my Vengeance RAMs again. Now, at one point I upgraded my mobo to a MSI Tomahawk B450 MAX II and my CPU to a 3900X, and it also warranted a new PSU (Corsair RM650X). I should also mention at this point that I’ve always kept my BIOSes up-to-date so this is out of the equation. I also chucked in a Gigabyte 1080 Founder’s Edition since I wanted to start gaming more (previously I used my PC mainly for music production and some lighter titles). So everything was peachy for a while and I was pretty confident my old CPU was bust or maybe the motherboard. Whatever, I was happy that my system worked. Boy, what a wrong assumption that was…

Came a day when I was met with the same god damn freezing issue, rebooted to a CPU red light, cleared CMOS, rebooted to a RAM red light, tried the backup RAM, tried different RAM slots- after about doing the same exact thing 20 times, I got one stick to work but not the other one. Hell, maybe I’ve had faulty RAM sticks the whole time, I thought! Stupid me!

Today I bought a pair of G.Skill Ripjaws (2x 8GB, 3600mhz, CL18), put them in and holy shiznit- even after enabling XMP they worked! So much joy! This happiness lasted for about 2 hours- when I tried playing Apex Legends my system froze and then I got a CPU red light, cleared CMOS, rebooted fine, Windows froze, restarted but the CPU fans didn’t start, cleared CMOS, RAM light, cleared CMOS + reinstalled the CPU to make sure there are no bent pins and that everything fits nice and snug and I still can’t get my system to POST. There was a point today where I also tested the RAMs with Windows Memory Diagnostics and it passed.

Now, here are the scenarios that happen when I turn on my computer:

1. CPU error, no boot
  2. CPU error for a while, fans speed up, RAM error, fans slow down, no boot
  3. CPU error for a split second, fans don’t speed up, RAM error, no boot
  4. CPU fans turn on for about 2-3 seconds, then switch off incl RGB, CPU error, no boot
  5. CPU fans don’t switch on at all, CPU error, no boot
  6. Everything powers on for 2-3 seconds, system shuts down, won’t power on until CMOS battery removed for a while
  7. Everything posts, load default config, restart, CPU error, no boot
  8. Everything posts, change one random setting in bios, RAM error, no boot

When I tested with one RAM stick it looks like the two slots furthest away from the CPU give a RAM error, whereas the two slots closest to the CPU give a CPU error

So please tell me humans who are clearly smarter than me- WTF IS GOING ON? What should I do? There are literally no components left in my computer that were in my original build except for one SSD (and I have tried booting without it just NOW for poopies and giggles but..). I have also moved houses 4 times (and countries once) so it can’t be related to a shitty electrics system frying everything.

Thanks in advance,

Long time fan jyrru ^^

what speed is are all your RAM sticks?  You never say this

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

1 hour ago, jyrru said:

Hi, all!

I am sorry for the long post but I am sure some of you might find this mystery quite interesting…

I am a longtime fan of LTT but I have never been to the forum before this very day when my cup of anger and confusion has finally filled to the brim and I need some serious help. In short my computer randomly crashes and thereafter won't post sometimes (it will either give me a CPU or RAM error, also sometimes the CPU fans won't start spinning and sometimes it won't even power on).

My initial build was a Ryzen 1600 with a B350 board by Gigabyte I believe (?), Corsair Vengeance DDR4 memory (2x8gb sticks, 2933mhz, CL16), a shitty 550w PSU and a 1050Ti. At first the XMP profile sometimes caused the computer to not post, RAM error. Clearing the CMOS sometimes helped, sometimes didn’t, using just one stick to get the system running and then sticking two back in helped quite often at first but seemed to gradually become a more and more useless solution (?!) If it was a bad day and I'd been messing about all day with swapping memories, clearing CMOS etc then sometimes leaving the computer off all night seemed to help for it to start booting again. Eventually I just disabled XMP and lived a happy life for about a year when at one point my computer crashed and upon restarting I got the same old RAM red light (no XMP this time).

Now, this time I had another DDR4 memory stick (a Patriot 2133mhz CL15 of some sorts) for testing which to my surprise gave the exact same error. I proceeded to test out different slots, took out my CPU, cleaned everything, put it back together and well, it worked with the backup RAM after a very frustrating back and forth all day. I then inserted my old RAM sticks back in and voila- smooth sailing. For a while at least...

A few months later my computer started freezing from time to time and I always used the backup stick to get my computer to boot and then I could use my Vengeance RAMs again. Now, at one point I upgraded my mobo to a MSI Tomahawk B450 MAX II and my CPU to a 3900X, and it also warranted a new PSU (Corsair RM650X). I should also mention at this point that I’ve always kept my BIOSes up-to-date so this is out of the equation. I also chucked in a Gigabyte 1080 Founder’s Edition since I wanted to start gaming more (previously I used my PC mainly for music production and some lighter titles). So everything was peachy for a while and I was pretty confident my old CPU was bust or maybe the motherboard. Whatever, I was happy that my system worked. Boy, what a wrong assumption that was…

Came a day when I was met with the same god damn freezing issue, rebooted to a CPU red light, cleared CMOS, rebooted to a RAM red light, tried the backup RAM, tried different RAM slots- after about doing the same exact thing 20 times, I got one stick to work but not the other one. Hell, maybe I’ve had faulty RAM sticks the whole time, I thought! Stupid me!

Today I bought a pair of G.Skill Ripjaws (2x 8GB, 3600mhz, CL18), put them in and holy shiznit- even after enabling XMP they worked! So much joy! This happiness lasted for about 2 hours- when I tried playing Apex Legends my system froze and then I got a CPU red light, cleared CMOS, rebooted fine, Windows froze, restarted but the CPU fans didn’t start, cleared CMOS, RAM light, cleared CMOS + reinstalled the CPU to make sure there are no bent pins and that everything fits nice and snug and I still can’t get my system to POST. There was a point today where I also tested the RAMs with Windows Memory Diagnostics and it passed.

Now, here are the scenarios that happen when I turn on my computer:

1. CPU error, no boot
  2. CPU error for a while, fans speed up, RAM error, fans slow down, no boot
  3. CPU error for a split second, fans don’t speed up, RAM error, no boot
  4. CPU fans turn on for about 2-3 seconds, then switch off incl RGB, CPU error, no boot
  5. CPU fans don’t switch on at all, CPU error, no boot
  6. Everything powers on for 2-3 seconds, system shuts down, won’t power on until CMOS battery removed for a while
  7. Everything posts, load default config, restart, CPU error, no boot
  8. Everything posts, change one random setting in bios, RAM error, no boot

So please tell me humans who are clearly smarter than me- WTF IS GOING ON? What should I do? There are literally no components left in my computer that were in my original build except for one SSD (and I have tried booting without it just NOW for poopies and giggles but..). I have also moved houses 4 times (and countries once) so it can’t be related to a shitty electrics system frying everything.

Thanks in advance,

Long time fan jyrru ^^

Is everything plugged in the right way? Are you using the same ram or just a single stick just to get it to boot. Can you test the CPU in a different motherboard? How long have you had this CPU? Do you have another Ryzen CPU to test in the motherboard? I feel like the CPU might be dead but unless you can test it in some way I don't feel comfortable  enough to claim a dead CPU or the few other ideas i have that might not be the case. 

You are going to have to run JEDEC speeds on that kit with 1st gen Ryzen and then manually increase frequency and voltage until stable. First gen Ryzen with the LPX: start at 2666 16-18-18-36 1.37v. that's should be stable, but you might have to go down to 2400.

While being very QVL, the LPX vengeance RAM and early Ryzen did not cooperate very well.

3 minutes ago, Noble3212 said:

Is everything plugged in the right way? Are you using the same ram or just a single stick just to get it to boot. Can you test the CPU in a different motherboard? How long have you had this CPU? Do you have another Ryzen CPU to test in the motherboard? I feel like the CPU might be dead but unless you can test it in some way I don't feel comfortable  enough to claim a dead CPU or the few other ideas i have that might not be the case. 

Everything is plugged in fine, I've had some buddies look over my setup. The current CPU I've had for about 5-6 months, the previous CPU I had for about 3-4 years. As mentioned, both CPU and mobo have changed at one point. I can't test out my 1600 with this motherboard since the latest BIOS update disables support for 1st gen Ryzen. However, I will see if I can find someone with a compatible motherboard to test out the CPU, thanks!

Just now, BiotechBen said:

You are going to have to run JEDEC speeds on that kit with 1st gen Ryzen and then manually increase frequency and voltage until stable. First gen Ryzen with the LPX: start at 2666 16-18-18-36 1.37v. that's should be stable, but you might have to go down to 2400.

While being very QVL, the LPX vengeance RAM and early Ryzen did not cooperate very well.

I will presume my long post means you didn't get to the end (can't blame ya!) but currently I am getting the same issues with a Ryzen 3900X and Ripjaws.

2 minutes ago, jyrru said:

Everything is plugged in fine, I've had some buddies look over my setup. The current CPU I've had for about 5-6 months, the previous CPU I had for about 3-4 years. As mentioned, both CPU and mobo have changed at one point. I can't test out my 1600 with this motherboard since the latest BIOS update disables support for 1st gen Ryzen. However, I will see if I can find someone with a compatible motherboard to test out the CPU, thanks!

I will presume my long post means you didn't get to the end (can't blame ya!) but currently I am getting the same issues with a Ryzen 3900X and Ripjaws.

Well, if at all possible I would try and have the CPU tested on another system just to see if it's a CPU issue or just your system being Mr.Funni. Either way I'll be here and I wish you the best of luck! Maybe someone here will have a much better idea than me. 

3 hours ago, jyrru said:

That's a B350 board, and Iirc, the top rated "guaranteed" speed for that chipset is 2400/2666 (can depend on the manufacturer and trace design) and the absolute max is 3200, the same way that my B450 according to the BIOS will support up to DDR4-6000, but that would likely be with LN2, one core, and and like cl86 timings

Ok for clarity's sake here is my current build since there seems to be some confusion around it:

MSI Tomahawk MAX II B450

Ryzen 3900x

2x 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws (3600mhz CL18)

Corsair Rm750X PSU

Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founder's Edition

WD Blue 1TB HDD

Adata Swordfish 500gb m.2

Sandisk SSD of some sorts

Now I've noticed that if I stick one RAM into the two slots furthest from the CPU I get a RAM error, whereas if I stick them to the two slots closest to the CPU, I get a CPU error. Is it possible that my CPU socket is too tight/loose? I have also changed the CMOS battery.