Operation Un-Bottleneck (4790K+RTX 3080)

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,

Stay on ddr4 for now as current ddr5 is basically at the 2133 to 2666 mhz speeds of ddr4 rn. What you buy now is bin material with a later upgrade so to say.

As for builds both have overspending happening and both will run louder due to the restrictive cases

Either way id wait a month 13th gen comes super quick

Budget (including currency): 

1500CAD

Buying from Montreal QC

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 4K Gaming, MW2, Cyberpunk, Cities Skylines, music making (so a quiet system might be best) 

Other details 

Existing parts: 

• RTX 3080 Ventus 3X Plus 12G OC LH
  • EVGA G2 750W Gold Power supply
  • ASUS ROG Swift PG43UQ 43" 4K monitor

Build ideas so far:

RGB version: (open to suggestions) 

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/klatu/saved/#view=ZBrgnQ

Black / super quiet stealthy version:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/klatu/saved/#view=4cG4pg

Context:

My current build is a i7 4790K from around 2015. 

Last July my 1080Ti died, and I decided to upgrade it to a 3080. Since I didn't have the money to go with a full system upgrade, I figured a respectable card would be better than a temporary shitty one. I then told myself I'd build around the good card a few months later. Still, my system is now hilariously bottlenecking the RTX 3080.

My mission is to upgrade completely now. Even my venerable HAF 922 case has to go. 

In my whole life, I've never gone team red. To be honest I have no idea what the nomenclature means when I look around the AMD stuff. But that doesn't mean I'm against the idea of it 🙂

So far my two build ideas are around DDR5 and the 12th gen Core i7. 

So what's the best planning here? Have mistakes been made by buying a 3080 on July 31st? Go full next gen or stay DDR4? Wait for something I don't know is on the horizon? 

As for style points, I know watercooled  RGB builds will likely be a bit louder. Is there a super stylish but stealthy AIO cooler out there? 

Bonus question concerning my old black-screen Asus 1080Ti Strix card. I am sure in the right hands someone could repair it. I asked around stores in Montreal and it seems people have moved on. Guess I should cut my losses and sell it for parts? 

Thank you for any insights. 

Right now I'd suggest waiting ~a month to see how Ryzen 7000 and intel 13th gen shake out.

One of those is probably a better upgrade path than 12th gen, especially if you're already planning on DDR5.  

Stay on ddr4 for now as current ddr5 is basically at the 2133 to 2666 mhz speeds of ddr4 rn. What you buy now is bin material with a later upgrade so to say.

As for builds both have overspending happening and both will run louder due to the restrictive cases

Either way id wait a month 13th gen comes super quick

DDR4 with 5800X3D or DDR4 with 12400/12400f... whatever is cheaper. Or just wait for 13th gen and get equivalent of that. 

11 hours ago, jaslion said:

Thanks for your insight, makes sense -- Curious tho; what would you suggest as a less restrictive case?

6 hours ago, _klatu_ said:

Thanks for your insight, makes sense -- Curious tho; what would you suggest as a less restrictive case?

If you like the 4000x the 4000d is right there. Couple it with a 5 pack of arctic p series fans (they have rgb and non rgb ones. For the rgb ones get a rgb controller of your choice) and you are golden.