AM5 Cooler Confusion

Just ordered new 7950 but I am confused which coolers will work with it.

I was looking at ASUS Rog Ryujin 360 RGB AIO, but ASUS mentions needing an "AM5 mounting kit" back in June. But I can find no mention of it since.

Totally confused which coolers will work with AM5 out of the box today?   Should I go air or water?  

this is two different questions.

what coolers work with AM5: Any cooler that lists AM5 compatibility. Read the listing for the cooler you are looking for. if it says it needs a mounting kit, see if the listing has the mounting kit included.

should I go air or water: This question needs a lot more context.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

Its being made much more complicated than it should be and youtubers aren't helping. Simply put, if the cooler you want to use includes its own AMD backplate and you're required to remove the stock AM5 backplate, it will not work. 

The majority of coolers for AMD however utilize the stock backplate that's already on your motherboard. 

Looking at the manual for that Ryujin, I don't see why it wouldn't work as it doesn't need/come with its own backplate for AMD.

Q14088_ROG_RYUJIN_240_360_QSG_WEB.pdf (asus.com)

I think with that chip, given how they operate, go with water if you have to ask. I'm currently air cooling a 7900x and am quite happy with even the stock performance and with an AK620, doesn't hit 95c like the internet tells you it will. 

I believe Linus did a video within the past year comparing air and AIO's and it was determined that there's a negligible performance difference. IMO it comes down to noise, space requirements, and aesthetics. I simply like the way AIO's look in my case and that's why I went with it. 

As far as your AM5 bracket question, I'm 99% certain I heard recently AM4 and AM5 brackets are identical, but if you want a real answer, contact the manufacturer and ask them if it's not advertised. I know some companies will provide the proper brackets for free or maybe the cost of shipping in order to continue using your old coolers. 

Thanks for the feedback -

For the  ASUS Rog Ryujin, Asus says: " ROG Ryujin, Ryuo and Strix LC coolers will fit via an AM5 mounting kit"

https://www.asus.com/news/feedfdczf4kz7ed7/

Do you think this means if I order it from Amazon today, the mounting kit is included?  Like you said, it doesnt look like it uses a custom backplate.

I just want to order something that works good out of the box, and worried the blanket AMD statement "AM4 coolers just work for AM5" wont apply for the cooler I happen to order.  (Been using Noctua DH15 for my other machines, might just stick with that - assuming that works for AM5?)

On a side note, this seems to imply a fairly hefty cooling impediment due to the IHS, which he removes and does "Direct-die" cooling   

Yeah I don't what they're trying to say exactly and there is also no link this this supposed AM5 Mounting Kit. According to the manual for that Ryujin cooler that I linked above, it'll just mount no problem as the stock backplate is utilized. 

NH-D15's manufactured after December 2018 will work with AM5. 

That Asus aio is not that great as it has old quite mediocre noctua f12:s instead of the new good a12:s. You can get a similar performing aio + 3x black a12:s for same money usually. Ek aio, arctic liquid freezer, be quiet silent loop2 etc.

Thanks for feedback 🙂

Thinking I might just go with Noctua DH15 again....been pretty happy with that.

It is my understanding that AM5 uses the same mounts as AM4. So long as the cooler adheres to the AM4 standard, i.e. uses the stock backplate, there should be no problem using it on an AM5 motherboard.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.