Looking for monitor to go under a widescreen

Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,
11 minutes ago, Sweech said:

Question about Rasberry Pi though, I assumed the ones labeled with that were just the screen and you had to add your own Rasberry Pi or something strange

It is just the screen but you don't need to add the Pi, it's just that it may or may not have facilities to mount/connect a Pi more easily, or just marketed towards there because that's what most people would use this display size for. As long as it's got the usual interfaces to connect to you can normally use with anything though. There could be exceptions with monitors without EDID and relying on the fact you can easily force a resolution/refresh rate on the Pi but it's kinda rare and may be a hard to spot if you can't see the manual in advance.

As to wide ones like on the kickstarter there are a bunch on aliexpress, either encased or bare if you want to make your own casing.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003014364673.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004067210951.html

Was kinda eyeing one and making a case/mount that would go on my keyboard...

Hey!

I have been on the hunt for a small monitor to go under my Samsung Odyssey G9, a perfect example is this kickstarter "the ultimate 32:9 ultra wide screen", I dont need a high resolution, just want to toss discord and maybe something else on there. 

I've tried a 15inch and was way too tall, would really prefer something like this kickstarter if possible.  Open to other suggestions though, thank you for your help!

TBD - AMD Ryzen 7 7700x - MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio - Gigabyte B650 Aorus Pro AX - G. Skill Flare X5 DDR5-6000 32GB - Samsung 980 1TB x3 - Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 - ON THE WAY: EK-AIO 360 Basic and ThermalTake Core P3.  Looking forward to building week of Dec 5th.

Emma : i9 9900K 5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID 0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Corsair Virtuoso SE - Logitech G910, G502 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Samsung 27" + Dell 24" 

Raven:  Intel i3 10100F - ASRock H410M-HDV - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2666Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Inland 256GB SSD + Toshiba 2TB HDD - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Spectre 24" 

Other Tech:

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

4 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

I think that size would be alright!
Question about Rasberry Pi though, I assumed the ones labeled with that were just the screen and you had to add your own Rasberry Pi or something strange, I was avoiding for that reason. =p

But a IPS and touch screen for that price, I'm really interested! 

2 minutes ago, Sweech said:

I think that size would be alright!
Question about Rasberry Pi though, I assumed the ones labeled with that were just the screen and you had to add your own Rasberry Pi or something strange, I was avoiding for that reason. =p

But a IPS and touch screen for that price, I'm really interested! 

Makes sense, I had to read it a few times to make sure it was JUST Pi.  I know they put pics up for other things, but let's say I am skeptical of a lot of 3rd party electronics on Amazon.  

I added to my cart too, trying to find a use for it so I have an excuse to buy it too.  Going to keep looking as well.

TBD - AMD Ryzen 7 7700x - MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio - Gigabyte B650 Aorus Pro AX - G. Skill Flare X5 DDR5-6000 32GB - Samsung 980 1TB x3 - Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 - ON THE WAY: EK-AIO 360 Basic and ThermalTake Core P3.  Looking forward to building week of Dec 5th.

Emma : i9 9900K 5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID 0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Corsair Virtuoso SE - Logitech G910, G502 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Samsung 27" + Dell 24" 

Raven:  Intel i3 10100F - ASRock H410M-HDV - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2666Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Inland 256GB SSD + Toshiba 2TB HDD - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Spectre 24" 

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

Question about Rasberry Pi though, I assumed the ones labeled with that were just the screen and you had to add your own Rasberry Pi or something strange

It is just the screen but you don't need to add the Pi, it's just that it may or may not have facilities to mount/connect a Pi more easily, or just marketed towards there because that's what most people would use this display size for. As long as it's got the usual interfaces to connect to you can normally use with anything though. There could be exceptions with monitors without EDID and relying on the fact you can easily force a resolution/refresh rate on the Pi but it's kinda rare and may be a hard to spot if you can't see the manual in advance.

As to wide ones like on the kickstarter there are a bunch on aliexpress, either encased or bare if you want to make your own casing.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX3080, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

8 hours ago, Kilrah said:

That looks great!! I've never used Aliexpress but I think thats exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you! 

Just now, Sweech said:

That looks great!! I've never used Aliexpress but I think thats exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you! 

Not sure I'd buy anything from AliExpress.   Actually I am sure. I wouldn't.  Ever.

Other Tech:

My only one time experience with Aliexpress is they don't properly gave me ETA so I went to post office and found out they were holding it for a while... It would've been sent back if I didn't ask. 

CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ AMD RADEON 6800XT | MB: MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK | RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 | COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, CORSAIR ML120 & ML140 | CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: LOGITECH G903 HERO | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000W | UPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA | DISPLAYS: LG 34GN850, 2x DELL S2719DGF (portrait) | TV: LG C1 48" | AMPLIFIER: MARANTZ SR7013, YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI ZENSOR 5 & DALI ZENSOR VOKAL & JAMO A310 SATELLITE & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

1 hour ago, BuzzingBee said:

My only one time experience with Aliexpress is they don't properly gave me ETA so I went to post office and found out they were holding it for a while... It would've been sent back if I didn't ask. 

Ah thank you for the info!

1 hour ago, Dedayog said:

Not sure I'd buy anything from AliExpress.   Actually I am sure. I wouldn't.  Ever.

I'm kind of sketched out by it, but thats exactly what I'm looking for, so going to take a risk! =] But would much prefer not to, thats for sure lol.

2 hours ago, Dedayog said:

If it is a political thing or some sort of principle I can understand that,
but if it isn't, then IMO there really aren't that many reasons not to buy from AliExpress.

Sure there are cons:
1) You got to know what you are buying, because descriptions are usually pretty bad, sometimes intentionally misleading.
2) Warranty you get is is pretty much that the product will work when it arrives. If it dies in a month, and after confirming receipt, good luck trying to get a refund.
3) Wait time: usually 2-4 weeks to Europe, sometimes 5-6 weeks, rarely 8 weeks, extremely rarely more than 8 weeks.

Other than that, you get stuff way cheaper than you would in a local store,
you can find some really niche stuff, stuff I honestly don't know where I would even begin to search for locally.
And trust me, I've got lots of experience ordering from AE 😄:

Spoiler

image.png.25d64b0e81a53942c5915d9990251dec.png

200+ orders, some of those orders had several items.
I've disputed ~15 orders, ~7%. 
Most of those disputes were because the package never arrived (~5%), the other ~2% was either the wrong item sent or the item got damaged in shipping.
Each time the dispute was resolved in my favor.
All of the disputes were resolved in a day or two, typically faster than on e-bay.

10 hours ago, Sweech said:

Hey!

I have been on the hunt for a small monitor...

2 hours ago, Sweech said:

I recommend checking out Waveshare displays on AliExpress / ebay / Amazon.
They've been in business of making all sorts of whacky displays for a long time (among other things).
I personally have bought close to a dozen of their displays over the years, they all still work.
You can check out what they got to offer here:
https://www.waveshare.com/product/raspberry-pi/displays.htm
I've never ordered from them directly because with shipping it usually ends up more than AE/ebay/Amazon, also not sure how the dispute process would work if it got lost in transit. I mean yeah you could do credit card chargeback, or open up a dispute on paypal, but in any case it is easier to do that if need be through AE/ebay/Amazon.

By what you described, in your 1st post, this one might be interesting for you:
https://www.waveshare.com/product/raspberry-pi/displays/8.8inch-side-monitor.htm
I gifted one of these to a friend of mine, dead simple to use, just plug in the HDMI and USB cable and it works on Windows (tested on 10 and 11).
Bezels are big (as you can see), but it feels quite sturdy, pretty good build quality.
You only get 3 or 4 levels of backlight control, which isn't perfect but it gets the job done.
The only other downside I can think of is ghosting, you can notice it when quickly moving the cursor... but then again not sure how important that is, you aren't gonna game on it.
Oh yeah, and the speakers are like on a cheap smartphone, quiet and tinny... only to be used in an emergency hah.
Anyhow that friend I gifted it to, uses it mostly for Rainmeter (system temps/usage/frequency) and Discord (displaying 1 or 2 streams side by side, when we play in a party), and for that it works great. That being said, if you want to read text on it without squinting/getting your face close to it... eh, I recommend getting something bigger, you can change the scaling but then you've got less work area on it...

PS Whichever screen you get, I recommend installing Microsoft PowerToys and using FancyZones to quickly organize what goes where.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

13 hours ago, Biohazard777 said:

If it is a political thing or some sort of principle I can understand that,
but if it isn't, then IMO there really aren't that many reasons not to buy from AliExpress.

Sure there are cons:
1) You got to know what you are buying, because descriptions are usually pretty bad, sometimes intentionally misleading.
2) Warranty you get is is pretty much that the product will work when it arrives. If it dies in a month, and after confirming receipt, good luck trying to get a refund.
3) Wait time: usually 2-4 weeks to Europe, sometimes 5-6 weeks, rarely 8 weeks, extremely rarely more than 8 weeks.

Other than that, you get stuff way cheaper than you would in a local store,
you can find some really niche stuff, stuff I honestly don't know where I would even begin to search for locally.
And trust me, I've got lots of experience ordering from AE 😄:

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.25d64b0e81a53942c5915d9990251dec.png

200+ orders, some of those orders had several items.
I've disputed ~15 orders, ~7%. 
Most of those disputes were because the package never arrived (~5%), the other ~2% was either the wrong item sent or the item got damaged in shipping.
Each time the dispute was resolved in my favor.
All of the disputes were resolved in a day or two, typically faster than on e-bay.

I recommend checking out Waveshare displays on AliExpress / ebay / Amazon.
They've been in business of making all sorts of whacky displays for a long time (among other things).
I personally have bought close to a dozen of their displays over the years, they all still work.
You can check out what they got to offer here:
https://www.waveshare.com/product/raspberry-pi/displays.htm
I've never ordered from them directly because with shipping it usually ends up more than AE/ebay/Amazon, also not sure how the dispute process would work if it got lost in transit. I mean yeah you could do credit card chargeback, or open up a dispute on paypal, but in any case it is easier to do that if need be through AE/ebay/Amazon.

By what you described, in your 1st post, this one might be interesting for you:
https://www.waveshare.com/product/raspberry-pi/displays/8.8inch-side-monitor.htm
I gifted one of these to a friend of mine, dead simple to use, just plug in the HDMI and USB cable and it works on Windows (tested on 10 and 11).
Bezels are big (as you can see), but it feels quite sturdy, pretty good build quality.
You only get 3 or 4 levels of backlight control, which isn't perfect but it gets the job done.
The only other downside I can think of is ghosting, you can notice it when quickly moving the cursor... but then again not sure how important that is, you aren't gonna game on it.
Oh yeah, and the speakers are like on a cheap smartphone, quiet and tinny... only to be used in an emergency hah.
Anyhow that friend I gifted it to, uses it mostly for Rainmeter (system temps/usage/frequency) and Discord (displaying 1 or 2 streams side by side, when we play in a party), and for that it works great. That being said, if you want to read text on it without squinting/getting your face close to it... eh, I recommend getting something bigger, you can change the scaling but then you've got less work area on it...

PS Whichever screen you get, I recommend installing Microsoft PowerToys and using FancyZones to quickly organize what goes where.

Not political, as I realize most of everything we buy or use is made elsewhere including China.

I've heard a lot of bad reviews for their electronics to be wary.  Sure, they have a lot of legit products but their PC stuff seems to be hit or miss.

I don't want to dispute.  I think it's great that it is resolved but I don't want a dispute in the first place.

You're 1 person who has semi-good things to say.  I'll take that into account, but probably won't sway me.

Other Tech:

I have to LOL at the fact they're making screens that sit below your WS/UWS.  It's a tacit admission that the FOV for the WS/UWS is far too small in the vertical dimension.

Windowed on bigger 16:9 > fullscreen on smaller 32:9 that you need ancillary displays to compliment.