Potato of Theseus

I am going to start off by saying that its more of a sentimental choice than straight out being too broke for an upgrade.   

Over the years I swapped out everything, except the old ASUS motherboard  and the intel cpu.   By my calculations next summer my lil pc potato will be ten years old.

Four years ago my power source unit  gave out, thankfully without damaging anything or setting my room on fire.  two and a half years ago my old HDD died so i swapped it for 2 SSD's, 18 months ago i swapped out my old   AMD  Radeon 290  with the RX 580 8gb  and half a year ago i swapped the old ram sticks into  16gb.    The last part to get changed was the pc case  because i wanted to  be somewhat fashionable and have some RGB's.

While rewiring my motherboard to the new case I made some mistakes and after pressing the power on button i saw  little white smoke rising and the smell of burning plastic.    some of the new case RGB wires burned for the rear fan.  turns out the motherboard  is so old  H81M-D  that it doesnt have enough (power sockets?)   i rewired it correctly (without rgb) and it works like a charm.

I didn't set out to take my pc on a Ship of Theseus type of journey, it all started with small failures and fixes and then trading in my gpu and getting a new one for only  120eu instead of 320+ or so because it was on sale with a huge discount at that time before the price rises.    
By my estimate over these 9 years, the original and new part prices add up to around 1100-1200 euros   for having a "decent"  computer.     
I still use  my old 1080p sony tv,  so if i wanted to upgrade i would need to buy a new tv or monitor + the actual new pc.

And now onto the sentimental side.  This was a gift (in cash) from my grandmother and the rest of my family and i still want to imagine that it is the same gift from all those years ago.
I wont upload photos because its more of a story to be proud of  than a thing to show off.

Good day to all of you  and I wonder if anyone also has Theseus type toaster stories they can share about.

1 hour ago, Lincelotas said:

i saw  little white smoke rising

All you need to do is get some genuine OEM magic smoke and refill it.

170px-Magic_smoke_refill_(5990429717)_(2).jpg

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

Funny you post this because to some extent I've also taken my PC on a similar journey.
I've replaced everything in parts over the years, except the case. I think just recently I replaced/removed the last old storage media I had.
Originally my PC was from the same era as yours too (indicated by mobo chipset).

funny how this is kind of a semi common occurence.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

7 hours ago, Lincelotas said:

I am going to start off by saying that its more of a sentimental choice than straight out being too broke for an upgrade.   

Over the years I swapped out everything, except the old ASUS motherboard  and the intel cpu.   By my calculations next summer my lil pc potato will be ten years old.

Four years ago my power source unit  gave out, thankfully without damaging anything or setting my room on fire.  two and a half years ago my old HDD died so i swapped it for 2 SSD's, 18 months ago i swapped out my old   AMD  Radeon 290  with the RX 580 8gb  and half a year ago i swapped the old ram sticks into  16gb.    The last part to get changed was the pc case  because i wanted to  be somewhat fashionable and have some RGB's.

While rewiring my motherboard to the new case I made some mistakes and after pressing the power on button i saw  little white smoke rising and the smell of burning plastic.    some of the new case RGB wires burned for the rear fan.  turns out the motherboard  is so old  H81M-D  that it doesnt have enough (power sockets?)   i rewired it correctly (without rgb) and it works like a charm.

I didn't set out to take my pc on a Ship of Theseus type of journey, it all started with small failures and fixes and then trading in my gpu and getting a new one for only  120eu instead of 320+ or so because it was on sale with a huge discount at that time before the price rises.    
By my estimate over these 9 years, the original and new part prices add up to around 1100-1200 euros   for having a "decent"  computer.     
I still use  my old 1080p sony tv,  so if i wanted to upgrade i would need to buy a new tv or monitor + the actual new pc.

And now onto the sentimental side.  This was a gift (in cash) from my grandmother and the rest of my family and i still want to imagine that it is the same gift from all those years ago.
I wont upload photos because its more of a story to be proud of  than a thing to show off.

Good day to all of you  and I wonder if anyone also has Theseus type toaster stories they can share about.

Due to my old family circumstances I wasn't able to build my PC until around 2021 when i moved out of my fathers home. Before I managed to do this I have a laptop I used for online schooling because of the pandemic. This little Sh*t top ran 70-80c Idle and managed a cool 110c when launching even the most basic of games. Before cooling to a cool temp of around 95-100c during gaming. I even tried cleaning it and optimizing it as much as possible. It was funny because true is. A sh*t top is a sh*t top. Nothing changed the cooling sucked. It was a dell inspiration 2 in 1 with a AMD ryzen 5 3500x with a single stick of DDR4 ram (8gb) with Vega 8 graphics. (Due to integrated graphics my ram was punched in the gut to 6gbs of useable ram) Due to the god awful cooling and me typing so much for discord and other things I used. The keyboard stopped working with a bunch of different keys and I had to mod my keyboard layout a lot eventually (thank god) I found a USB keyboard. But, that didn't help with the garbage cooling. I might never get to see that laptop again. But I had a bunch of wonderful memories from that laptop due to being one of the things that helped me keep sane during the pandemic.  I used to do some of the stupidest things on it and the performance sucked But I loved it. I wasn't able to grab it before my hurried departure from my father. But I do get to celebrate one year of being away from him today