Is it true that Asus ROG Strix 3070 TI GPUs suffer from coil whine?

Dean0919

Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,
3 minutes ago, Dean0919 said:

I don't think you even have read what I posted. If you don't even read, maybe don't post at all?

I asked the question if those cards (Asus ROG Strix 3070 ti) have coil whine problem and with that I mean majority of them, like I was told. Can anyone who owns those card reply here and say if their cards have coil whine problem?

Coil whine is just card to card, even if someone had it and said it did or did not whine doesn't mean that the one you'd get would act the same. There are design decisions that can result in certain cards whining more than others, but that 3070 Ti doesn't have anything that would cause me to believe that it would whine at a higher rate than any other cards I've seen. 

Heck, my old 3080 XC3, a card that's not particularly well known for whining, when water blocked would whine like a 2 year old who wants candy. My 6900 XT Red Devil, a card that is pretty famous for whining like crazy because of its inadequate input filtering, is quieter than that one was, even while water blocked with the power limits unlocked and it running at over 500W in game. You just can't judge based by that. 

32 minutes ago, Dean0919 said:

you never go wrong with ROG strix series

I beg to differ, the Z690 Hero was a fire hazard, X299 Apex had issues blowing up its VRM when running the 18 core overclocked (the biggest marketing feature of that board), Strix B450-F was just an all around mediocre motherboard, etc. They've got some solid products, but they are far from immune to issues and everything else. That 3070 Ti Strix is fine, no reason I'd avoid it, but so are a lot of 3070 Tis that are likely cheaper and just as fast (for the price of the 3070 Ti Strix you can probably score a 3080)

Hey guys, me and my friend are building a PC and the only 2 components left that we need to buy are CPU and GPU and he wants to get Asus ROG Strix 3070 TI, as we heard that it's a top card and you never go wrong with ROG strix series, however yesterday I was talking to my another friend and when I told him that we were going to buy that card, he told me that it's a really top quality card, but they suffer from coil whine problems. I want to know if it's true. Do they really suffer from coil whine or he was just unlucky? (He bought it himself for re-selling and he said that card had such a horrible coin whine sound that it felt like there was a hornet inside the case).

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-10400F | COOLER: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B460M DS3H | RAM: Viper Steel Series 32GB | GPU: ASUS TUF RTX 3080 V2 GAMING OC 10GB | STORAGE: Kingston 240GB SA400M8 SSD + 2TB HDD + 4TB HDD | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus | PSU: XFX PRO1050W Black Edition (80+ Gold) | KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | MOUSEPAD: Marvo MG010 | MONITOR: Dell S2721D 27" | SPEAKERS: Microlab Solo7C | HEADSET: HyperX Cloud Stinger™ Core Gaming Headset | WEBCAM: Fifine 1440P | OS: Windows 11 64bit

but they suffer from coil whine problems.

anything with coils can have coil whine

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

anything with coils can have coil whine

One thing is that anything can have and second thing is that specific model from specific brand has coil whine from majority of its product.

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-10400F | COOLER: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B460M DS3H | RAM: Viper Steel Series 32GB | GPU: ASUS TUF RTX 3080 V2 GAMING OC 10GB | STORAGE: Kingston 240GB SA400M8 SSD + 2TB HDD + 4TB HDD | CASE: Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus | PSU: XFX PRO1050W Black Edition (80+ Gold) | KEYBOARD: Corsair Vengeance K70 | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | MOUSEPAD: Marvo MG010 | MONITOR: Dell S2721D 27" | SPEAKERS: Microlab Solo7C | HEADSET: HyperX Cloud Stinger™ Core Gaming Headset | WEBCAM: Fifine 1440P | OS: Windows 11 64bit

5 minutes ago, Dean0919 said:

One thing is that anything can have and second thing is that specific model from specific brand has coil whine from majority of its product.

then buy a different one

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

then buy a different one

I don't think you even have read what I posted. If you don't even read, maybe don't post at all?

I asked the question if those cards (Asus ROG Strix 3070 ti) have coil whine problem and with that I mean majority of them, like I was told. Can anyone who owns those card reply here and say if their cards have coil whine problem?

6 minutes ago, Dean0919 said:

Can anyone who owns those card reply here and say if their cards have coil whine problem?

coil whine isn't caused by just the gpu thats why the question doesn't really make sense. There's dozens of reasons a machine can have coil whine. The only people who think coil whine has a singular source more than likely have never done hardware diagnostics

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

coil whine isn't caused by just the gpu thats why the question doesn't really make sense. There's dozens of reasons a machine can have coil whine. The only people who think coil whine has a singular source more than likely have never done hardware diagnostics

Yeah, but that's what I was told. He told me to prepare that if we buy that card, there's a big chance it will have coil whine. So, I wanted opinion of people here about it, if it's true that majority of those 3070 ti strix cards have this problem or he was just unlucky and assumed that those cards have this problem. I just want to know opinnion of owners of those cards.

Coil whine is just card to card, even if someone had it and said it did or did not whine doesn't mean that the one you'd get would act the same. There are design decisions that can result in certain cards whining more than others, but that 3070 Ti doesn't have anything that would cause me to believe that it would whine at a higher rate than any other cards I've seen. 

Heck, my old 3080 XC3, a card that's not particularly well known for whining, when water blocked would whine like a 2 year old who wants candy. My 6900 XT Red Devil, a card that is pretty famous for whining like crazy because of its inadequate input filtering, is quieter than that one was, even while water blocked with the power limits unlocked and it running at over 500W in game. You just can't judge based by that. 

32 minutes ago, Dean0919 said:

you never go wrong with ROG strix series

I beg to differ, the Z690 Hero was a fire hazard, X299 Apex had issues blowing up its VRM when running the 18 core overclocked (the biggest marketing feature of that board), Strix B450-F was just an all around mediocre motherboard, etc. They've got some solid products, but they are far from immune to issues and everything else. That 3070 Ti Strix is fine, no reason I'd avoid it, but so are a lot of 3070 Tis that are likely cheaper and just as fast (for the price of the 3070 Ti Strix you can probably score a 3080)

Back in the day my Strix RX580 had horrible coil whine even in idle or locked 60fps in non demanding games, returned it a bought the Nitro+ instead.

But my ears are very sensitive since the Noctua fans that are supposed to be the greatest and quietest are loud for me(fan blade vibrating noise), so I use Arctic F14 instead.

15 1360OK | Hyper 212 | Z690-A Wife | Thermotake 16 GO SODINM(2 of them) | 1TB m.2 ssd card + 2TB SATA nvme | RTX3060 Ventus duel fan 12 GBi | NZXT H510 Elite | Seasonice 600watts voeding

Lock your fps to your refresh rate, that should help.

3 hours ago, Ralf said:

Noctua fans that are supposed to be the greatest and quietest are loud for me

They aren’t that good. Noctua stuff is generally way over hyped.

R7 5800X3D | Thermalright FC140 White
Asus Strix B550-XE | 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z
EVGA RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 Ultra | WD SN850, SN750
EVGA 750w G+ | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB