Need help on buying a gaming laptop! Or should I wait for future discounts?

Go to solution Solved by Dukesilver27-,
36 minutes ago, lance2499 said:

That is something I have never considered before...

I am an international student in Australia and has moved relatively often, so that's why I chose laptops in my previous purchases.

Usually my laptops weren't moved, but I may need to travel to other cities/states in near future, so unlike a laptop that can fit in my backpack, I would be worried about shpping a PC to other cities.

Also, I haven't looked at PC building before, so I have complete no clue about where to get the parts locally.. Maybe ebay and amazon are good places to look at?

I feel ya, truly, I was an international student myself. The worry of having to carry all the things I bought back home when the time comes weighed in on every purchase decision.

Anyway, with that much budget, if you don't mind moving with a monitor and an ITX PC, it might be worth it. Just a thought for you to consider.

FYI, this could be used to find the cheapest parts online, and it will only allow you to select compatible parts, very nice for beginners https://au.pcpartpicker.com/

Anyway, I haven't paid any attention to gaming laptops since I got my PC, so I can't help you here, best of luck.

I am currently using an Asus ROG (GL502VSK i7-7700HQ, 16GB, GTX 1070) laptop with DIY liquid cooling, but feel not enough for my gaming requirement anymore.

So I started to search for new gaming laptops.

Budget: ~$3000AUD (~$2000USD)  including some warranty extension if available

A DisplayPort output is required as I play VR on a Valve Index.

32GB RAM is desired as I may need to do some development work on the machine.

Already have an external 2K 144Hz gaming monitor, but still the screen of the laptop shouldn't be too poor.

Battery capacity is not a big consideration as I will use it plugged most time.

Also, I am wondering if nowadays gaming laptops can handle the heat at max performance without throttling?

Because I have to soldered a water cooling pipe on my current one to release its full performance.

Legion 5i Pro Gen 7 16" is the one I am currently looking at, which cost $3,377AUD (~$2177USD) with extended warranty, $3140AUD (~$2024USD) with 7% cashback.

But I still wish for a better price, or a device with better hardware at a same or lower price level.

I am struggling on whether buying it now with the current discount or waiting for future discounts such as black friday, as I am not sure if Lenovo or other brands will have a better price later.

Could you please give your suggestions and thoughts about these questions?

Thank you very much.

I have to ask, at this point why not just build a PC? You have a DIY liquid cooling, obviously that laptop isn't moved very often, if it even moved at all, then why not a PC?

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

6 minutes ago, lance2499 said:

Also, I am wondering if nowadays gaming laptops can handle the heat at max performance without throttling?

no , laptops still aren't defying physics

You can piece together a great machine for that price if your intent is not to move it at all.

Pros of that are that it will last you longer because its simply more powerfull and that its more upgradeable.

If your intent is to take it with you (for your job/lan parties and such) you'd be better of with a laptop obviously.

So it all comes down to how you use the machine, Id say if you aren't going to move it arround you'd be way better of with a desktop (even a prebuilt).

My Rig: CPU : 10700K | RAM : Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz c16 32G (4x8) | CPU cooler : NHD15 | GPU : ASUS ProArt 4070 | PSU : Corsair RM850 (black label) | CASE : Corsair 5000D Airflow | Storage : Samsung 970 evo 1TB, WD Black 1TB, Samsung evo 850 Sata SSD | Casefans : Lian Li Unifan SL120 7X|

MOUSE : G Pro Wireless X superlight | Keyboard : Keychron C1- Pro-H1 Gateron Milky Reds

39 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

I have to ask, at this point why not just build a PC? You have a DIY liquid cooling, obviously that laptop isn't moved very often, if it even moved at all, then why not a PC?

11 minutes ago, Alinz said:

You can piece together a great machine for that price if your intent is not to move it at all.

Pros of that are that it will last you longer because its simply more powerfull and that its more upgradeable.

If your intent is to take it with you (for your job/lan parties and such) you'd be better of with a laptop obviously.

So it all comes down to how you use the machine, Id say if you aren't going to move it arround you'd be way better of with a desktop (even a prebuilt).

I am an international student in Australia and has moved relatively often, so that's why I chose laptops in my previous purchases.

Usually my laptops weren't moved, but I may need to travel to other cities/states in near future, so unlike a laptop that can fit in my backpack, I would be worried about shpping a PC to other cities.

Also, I haven't looked at PC building before, so I have complete no clue about where to get the parts locally.. Maybe ebay and amazon are good places to look at?

36 minutes ago, lance2499 said:

I feel ya, truly, I was an international student myself. The worry of having to carry all the things I bought back home when the time comes weighed in on every purchase decision.

Anyway, with that much budget, if you don't mind moving with a monitor and an ITX PC, it might be worth it. Just a thought for you to consider.

FYI, this could be used to find the cheapest parts online, and it will only allow you to select compatible parts, very nice for beginners https://au.pcpartpicker.com/

Anyway, I haven't paid any attention to gaming laptops since I got my PC, so I can't help you here, best of luck.

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

14 minutes ago, Dukesilver27- said:

Thank you, really. Now I decided to look into PC building. 

But I still got some concerns about rumors that saying there is a chance you could get mined GPUs even from official stores. Is it a problem? or it is jsut completely false?

38 minutes ago, lance2499 said:

Thank you, really. Now I decided to look into PC building. 

But I still got some concerns about rumors that saying there is a chance you could get mined GPUs even from official stores. Is it a problem? or it is jsut completely false?

I highly doubt it, that is not to say that don't buy mining GPUs, picking ones that are well cared for or have not been used for very long, is a good strategy.

I personally have bought a used Asus TUF RX 6800 XT, works very well as good as brand new ones, still under warranty, costed me less than a new RTX 3070.  

Here, FYR.