Looking for high speed high wattage hub

Bombastinator

So I’ve got a MSI b660 mortar max wifi board that has a bunch of red ports on it.  The literature says they’re 3.2 (as in 3.2 gen 2x2). Are these actually that fast? (Should be 20gb/s & a bunch of watts) They’re only on the back though, so I’m thinking a hub is in order.  I’m only finding hubs labeled as 3.1 though.  I don’t mind a hub that splits down to 3.1 as I thing that will still work with what I need it for, but is there no such thing as a 3.2 hub? 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

So the red ports are the 10Gb/s ports connected to the internal GL3590 controller. If you're looking for more 10Gb/s ports, what would make the most sense is get a hub that uses the USB Type C port which is also 10GB/s that expands out to more 10Gb/s Type A ports. Now, there are a lot of these but its not always clear that while the uplink Type C to the motherboard of the hub may operate at 10Gb/s, the Type A ports ON the hub may not. Its only really ever clear on the more expensive options, such at this . If you really needed the ports to be 10Gb on the hub, that's the kind of thing you're looking at.

image.png.e1c899c9634425701afacd7e48a6ab6a.png

image.thumb.png.7b4641887e0cb6747be14bd012b30ccd.png

2 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

So the red ports are the 10Gb/s ports connected to the internal GL3590 controller. If you're looking for more 10Gb/s ports, what would make the most sense is get a hub that uses the USB Type C port which is also 10GB/s that expands out to more 10Gb/s Type A ports. Now, there are a lot of these but its not always clear that while the uplink Type C to the motherboard of the hub may operate at 10Gb/s, the Type A ports ON the hub may not. Its only really ever clear on the more expensive options, such at this . If you really needed the ports to be 10Gb on the hub, that's the kind of thing you're looking at.

image.png.e1c899c9634425701afacd7e48a6ab6a.png

image.thumb.png.7b4641887e0cb6747be14bd012b30ccd.png

I thought the way it worked was 3.1 was 10 and 3.2 was 20.  Do you say there are NO 3.2 ports and they’re all 3.1 even though they’re red?(they should in theory be teal) or is it that the single USBC port is 20gb?  In one (and currently the only) use case I’m more concerned about power delivery than data. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

15 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I thought the way it worked was 3.1 was 10 and 3.2 was 20.  Do you say there are NO 3.2 ports and they’re all 3.1 even though they’re red?(they should in theory be teal) or is it that the single USBC port is 20gb?  In one (and currently the only) use case I’m more concerned about power delivery than data. 

Going by the chart, the only 20Gb port is the Type C port on the back panel. The red ports are 10Gb/s then you have the standard black USB2 ports. Unfortunately I don't see any details on any of the ports power delivery options or if they even support USB PD at all.

Though hubs/docks with their own power supply can handle that part for you, depending on how much you're willing to spend. There are some pricey USB Type C hubs that'll do 100W out to a device. Off the top of my head Caldigit and Anker should make some.

That will do.  The single use case is I want to fast-charge an iPhone 13promax. Seems like the full on 20gb 3.2(3.2gen2x2/20gb) never really became much of a thing so all the hubs are 3.1(3.2gen2/10gb) and the rear usbc is sort of an orphan port. Perhaps I have to get the z690 after all. Ugh…