does toolless rj45 connector gives same performace as normal rj45

Danial129

I have bought 25m cat6a wire to get wifi to other side of house, the wire is cat6a solid core, U/FTP. its thick compare to normal router cables i get.

Now i want to attach rj45 connecters to both ends. I am not sure which ones to buy, I seen some toolless ones which dont require any crippler.

will they give same performance as normal rj45 connectors that require tool to connect it to wire.

tool less connectors

image.png.77cf023e3d3871aca1daf063a1184a7e.png

image.png.8986771a967c062cefdb182ea1a645b9.png

image.png.8b4891baf24b834b0832e4cd6b15c8ba.png

or I can buy a crippler tool and cat 6a connter liek below 

image.png.59c03b42d14064063e93126ed8461316.png

The cable is 

image.thumb.png.f56d68c1d1550f0d4a0130d1f5d3544b.png

image.png

In theory yes, they give same performance.

They're fine as long as the you use the proper cable - should be solid core wire cable.

For RJ45 connectors designed for crimping, you should match the connector with the type of cable - there's RJ45 connectors with universal pins which work with both stranded and solid core wires , and there's RJ45 connectors with those pins designed for stranded wires only.

image.png.41335ade30429f787f21dcd1fa394a16.png

16 minutes ago, mariushm said:

In theory yes, they give same performance.

They're fine as long as the you use the proper cable - should be solid core wire cable.

For RJ45 connectors designed for crimping, you should match the connector with the type of cable - there's RJ45 connectors with universal pins which work with both stranded and solid core wires , and there's RJ45 connectors with those pins designed for stranded wires only.

image.png.41335ade30429f787f21dcd1fa394a16.png

So it doesnt matter if it is one piece or two piece connector as long the connector is for solid core 

All that matters is to have the wires in the correct order, and to have the wires as least untwisted as possible.

In theory using connectors where you crimp the wires is a bit better, because you can keep the pairs twisted all the way up to inside the connectors. With these non-crimping connectors, where the wires are "punched down" into some teeth which bite into the solid core wires, there's in theory a few mm more of distance, so more untwisted distance. (you measure from where wires are bitten into all the way to the contacts/pins at the end of connector)

In practice, both are suitable for 10gbps and higher, and well below the maximum permitted for "untwisted-ness"

With the pass-through RJ45 connectors, which allow you to slide the wires and have them come out the other end and cut them there you also have to be careful those ends don't short out against the receiving connector or on the shielding if it's a FTP / SFTP connector.

There's also a small downside to crimped connectors... if you don't use the proper crimping tool (one where the die presses directly perpendicular on all pins), you risk deforming the plastic connectors, and you risk ending up with connectors that will fall after lots of temperature cycles.
Maybe a decade or so ago, I've had some patch cables that were crimped with a cheap tool and they were used in a server room that was quite warm and humid and within half a year the pins in the jack actually started to come out of the wires due to repeat heat-cool cycles and initial weakening of the plastic by the crimping tool.

Even back them, I came with the conclusion that it made more sense to buy 1m long patch cables from the store as it wasn't that much more expensive.