L labs

n111h

Apologies to the mods if this is the wrong forum.  With the news in the recent WAN show that Lab32 is a no-go, I would like to share my preferred name: L labs

Ya' know, like Bell Labs, and like Linus.

lLabs.PNG

Punctuation is incorrect. Sure, it may look fine in a logo, but it’s going to look real silly written anywhere else.

Would kind of undermine their perceived credibility if most people think they don’t even know how to properly capitalize their business name.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

I think the point of the original lab32 name was to not be branded anything Linus.

Also it would be too easy to spin it into a negative, what with all the "take the L" social media likes to throw at anything and anyone

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Would a llama be the Llabs mmascot? I think that would attract negative attention from whoever owns Nullsoft these days.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

On 10/3/2022 at 12:54 AM, Arika S said:

I think the point of the original lab32 name was to not be branded anything Linus.

Also it would be too easy to spin it into a negative, what with all the "take the L" social media likes to throw at anything and anyone

I believe you're right about the original intent of the name.  And unfortunately, now that I reflect on it more, I am nearly sure you're right about the "L" memeability too.

I just really liked the CS reference.  And Linus is too self-conscious about his name (though I would be too) - Bell Labs wasn't named after a a bell...

13 hours ago, n111h said:

And Linus is too self-conscious about his name (though I would be too)

I think it's more that he wants the company to be an ensemble cast, not "Linus and those other folks who help him". Among many other reasons for this, making it all about himself means their output is inherently limited by his time and energy.

13 hours ago, n111h said:

Bell Labs wasn't named after a a bell...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Graham_Bell

I sold my soul for ProSupport.