Screen turns black and causes running apps to crash - persists through driver upgrades / reinstalls

Jack0f5pades

Last year I bit the bullet and spent $1700 on a 6900XT, and I'm now starting to worry I may have to RMA it because I've exhausted every software solution I can find and yet this issue keeps happening. At least a dozen times every day, I'll be sitting at the computer writing a document, or watching a video, or playing a game, and suddenly my screen will turn black. Anywhere between ten seconds and a minute and a half will pass before it turns back on, occasionally it just won't turn back on at all and I have to force restart the system. IF it turns back on, there will be a Radeon driver error message on the screen, and whatever the topmost program that was running when the screen turned black is, it will have crashed. Games, browsers, other applications, you name it, if I have it open, it'll be gone when the screen turns back on. Dealing with this almost constantly is a massive pain. I've DDU'd my system and installed every driver version I could get my hands on, ranging from a year ago to just this month. Every version I use, it still happens, which is what makes me worried that it may be a hardware fault. Temperatures have never been very high, it performs well in games when it chooses to work, but my 5700XT in my work computer doesn't have this issue, which further confuses me. This is the only card I own that does this and I'm starting to lose my mind. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

22 minutes ago, Jack0f5pades said:

Last year I bit the bullet and spent $1700 on a 6900XT, and I'm now starting to worry I may have to RMA it because I've exhausted every software solution I can find and yet this issue keeps happening. At least a dozen times every day, I'll be sitting at the computer writing a document, or watching a video, or playing a game, and suddenly my screen will turn black. Anywhere between ten seconds and a minute and a half will pass before it turns back on, occasionally it just won't turn back on at all and I have to force restart the system. IF it turns back on, there will be a Radeon driver error message on the screen, and whatever the topmost program that was running when the screen turned black is, it will have crashed. Games, browsers, other applications, you name it, if I have it open, it'll be gone when the screen turns back on. Dealing with this almost constantly is a massive pain. I've DDU'd my system and installed every driver version I could get my hands on, ranging from a year ago to just this month. Every version I use, it still happens, which is what makes me worried that it may be a hardware fault. Temperatures have never been very high, it performs well in games when it chooses to work, but my 5700XT in my work computer doesn't have this issue, which further confuses me. This is the only card I own that does this and I'm starting to lose my mind. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

What does event viewer show for driver related events?

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

4 minutes ago, Raudi_ said:

What does event viewer show for driver related events?

Not much. Every time this happens, the event viewer just shows the same thing. If it turns back on, it has a yellow marker with "Display driver amdwddmg stopped responding and has successfully recovered.", and if it didn't turn back on and I had to force restart the system, then it gives the general red marker saying that the system shutdown unexpectedly.