Could a dying PSU cause having to reboot computer 20+ times in order to boot?

R0gueBogue

Windows 10 pro
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 750 watt from 2017
G.SKILL Trident Z Neo (For AMD Ryzen) Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi
WD_BLACK 1TB SN750 SE NVMe SSD 35GB free
Samsung 860 Evo 1GB - 284GB free
gtx 1080 ti ftw3
amd ryzen 3900x
Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler for cpu

There are my system specs.. my issue started a few wks ago when I had to restart.. I hit restart.. it acts as if it's going to boot.. and it restarts again.. then it just does nothing.. pc shows it's still on.. keyboard lights are on.. but it does not go to post. I have to hit reboot sometimes 20+ times and FINALLY it will go to desktop. I could understand if I hit start and it just died.. that is why i'm concerned.. i was told that it was more than likely the PSU, it's the oldest part in my build, it's from 2017. It's really scary when a windows update happens.. cause I have to reboot over and over again before it actually starts and continues the update. Could a dying PSU cause what is happening for me? 

21 minutes ago, R0gueBogue said:

Could a dying PSU cause what is happening for me? 

It could. If it was it would most likely be a capacitor going faulty. A quick check, you need to take the cover off the PSU and look for bulged tops on any of the capacitors. It could also be one on the motherboard and I had one a few months ago.

Bad capacitors

Yes, it can cause problems in many ways and if it's about to go out as in OUT it could kill the board and all else to.

Usually PSU's will last longer than 5 years with normal use but at the same time it does have some age to it.
If you believe it's time for a new one go for it but know before you do, that may or may not fix the described issue.

BTW did this begin happening during a Windows update?

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

It could be ram issue as well, try disabling D.O.C.P. see if that helps when the memory is a 2400mhz...

20 hours ago, Beerzerker said:

Yes, it can cause problems in many ways and if it's about to go out as in OUT it could kill the board and all else to.

Usually PSU's will last longer than 5 years with normal use but at the same time it does have some age to it.
If you believe it's time for a new one go for it but know before you do, that may or may not fix the described issue.

BTW did this begin happening during a Windows update?

I believe the first time it happened was during a windows update.. can't say for certain but I believe so

If so that would explain alot of it.

Windows updates (Esp 10 and 11) are known to cause issues like yours, what you could try is a different Windows install to a different drive so the copy you have on your current HDD/SSD isn't affected and see if the problem goes away.

This way you'll know if Windows itself is the cause of the problem or not while not affecting your current install as in losing anything.

I'd have to think it's due to a problem with the update conflicting with a driver, that's been seen before.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.