Questionable use of a 24 pin to 8 pin adapter

Eligreez
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Those lenovo seem to have a 10 pin connector on mobo - example mobo listing https://www.ebay.com/itm/115517540325  - , and seems there's adapter cables on ebay for it : https://www.ebay.com/itm/125473008811

So I have a Lenovo ideacentre 510A-15ICB that I just upgraded the cpu from a i3 8100 to a i7-8700k. I'm wanting to purchase a 3060 ti because I currently have a GTX 1650 and I'm starting to do some light video editing work here and there. In the future I plan to upgrade to 12th gen intel but currently don't really have the budget to do so. What's keeping me from purchasing the 3060 ti is the proprietary 8 pin connector on the motherboard. My question is, even though its not recommended, could I use a 24 pin to 8 pin adapter that I've seen online usually used for dell computers for my lenovo to provide the additional wattage I need to power the 3060 ti? I plan to buy a 850 watt psu to plan for future upgrading to a 3080 ti as well. I don't know if thats a factor just thought I'd mention it.

No, those are proprietary for a reason and would fry a GPU.

Edit:

I see now I misread and you're asking about using using a 24 pin to 8 pin adapter for the motherboard

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

if you can verify that the adapter will provide the necessary pinout for the motherboard it should be fine, but if you have to rely on the word that the adapter is "for this brand" - it's a risk.

Using such adapters is fine, but it has to advertise as being for Lenovo and ideally listing should have your model or series listed,

The 8 pin connector is not standard so the Dell 8 pin may/will probably be different than the Lenovo one.

Usually the problem is that these computers tend  to use a higher voltage stand-by compared to regular computer opower supplies... for example the Lenovo psu may have 12v stand-by instead of 5v stand-by, so the adapter cables have a dc-dc converter circuit hidden within the cable bundle, which boosts the 5v stand-by to 12v stand-by.

But the order of the wires in the 8 pin connector may be totally different than on dell and you could risk causing a short circuit or damage something using the wrong adapter cable.

9 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if you can verify that the adapter will provide the necessary pinout for the motherboard it should be fine, but if you have to rely on the word that the adapter is "for this brand" - it's a risk.

Maybe I read it wrong but I'm thinking they're asking about a 24 pin to 8 pin for the GPU power?

Edit: I'm a derp 😄

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

If you are talking about adapting the 24 pin to the proprietary 8 pin on the motherboard, I do actually have experience with a similar adapter to the one you described for this exact reason on a Lenovo pre-built. It never fried anything and seemed to work great.

IMG_20221001_094811.jpg

R U L E  # 1   A b o u t   M e:   I   u s u a l l y   g i v e   D U M B   a d v i c e   a n d   y o u   s h o u l d   n o t   l i s t e n   t o  m e.

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Maybe I read it wrong but I'm thinking they're asking about a 24 pin to 8 pin for the GPU power?

Yeah my bad I meant using the adapter for the motherboard power not the GPU

1 minute ago, Eligreez said:

Yeah my bad I meant using the adapter for the motherboard power not the GPU

No worries, I reread your original post and realized my mistake so just edited my post.

As others have said, if you get a Lenovo branded one for that board then yah, no issues.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

"the proprietary 8-pin connector on the motherboard"

Which PSU do you want to buy? A regular ATX does not fit in a Ideacentre 510A.