Running Windows 11, and wanting to upgrade my hardware. (TPM, Secure Boot)

RuschGaming
Go to solution Solved by Kilrah,

It does not matter on the same install either. TPM is mostly used just as a "shortcut" for authentication functions.

If you have bitlocker drive encryption setup you will need your recovery key for the first boot, then everything back to normal.

If you had Windows Hello set up for credentials you'll need to set it up again the first time as well.

That's about it for your usual user setup.

Im Running windows 11 right now and I pretty much enjoy it so far. It was a hazzle for me to get the tpm to work since im using an AMD CPU ( 2700x ). At the moment I have all my upgrade parts ready, but someone from work told me that the tpm stores their values into the cpu and if you switch cpu's its going to cause you issues with windows 11. I dont think this is true, but now im really doubting myself since im ready to replace these parts. The cpu i am upgrading to is a ryzen 9 5900x and gpu is from gtx 1080 to a rtx 3090 ti oc. 

Would this even matter even if im going to reinstall windows 11?

27 minutes ago, RuschGaming said:

Would this even matter even if im going to reinstall windows 11?

If you're reinstalling the OS, I'm pretty sure this does not matter. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

It does not matter on the same install either. TPM is mostly used just as a "shortcut" for authentication functions.

If you have bitlocker drive encryption setup you will need your recovery key for the first boot, then everything back to normal.

If you had Windows Hello set up for credentials you'll need to set it up again the first time as well.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

3 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Would it be necessary to reset the tpm and secure boot too? ( for a clean install )