Build Recommendations - Separate NAS/Plex Server/Gaming - (Total 2 systems, maybe 3)?

myongha

Budget: $1500-$2000 USD (not including nas hdd)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: UnRaid (purchased), Plex (purchased), VMs (maybe never tried), Cyberpunk (other AAA titles), etc. 

Existing Parts: Link to My PC Parts List From 2013 that I can use for parts (although it's an old build). I have purchased 2x - WD Red Pro 10TB HDD and a 1x - WD Black SN850 2TB nvme drive, can leave those costs out. 

**Preface by saying I have only ever built the one computer, can probably figure out how to build, but the software and networking side might have more difficulty. So one of the big things would be what is the best way to set this entire thing up: multiple systems or VMs. If multiple rigs what's the best way to allocate my resources to get the best possible for each (i.e nvme drives for all or does nas not need it)? 

NAS: Just had a child and already the number of photo and videos is eating up storage (~1TB/year). This is content that I cannot lose so I would like. At least 1 parity drive and ecc. Would it be better to put games and Plex files here, if I had separate rigs? 

Plex Server: Not sure if it is better to do this on the NAS, but everything I read makes it seem like it would be better to keep it separate. Would like to be able to eventually transcode 4K (~5 stable streams). I think I read something about Intel quicksync doing 5 4k to 1080p by itself but was not sustainable, so do not need to buy a dedicated GPU right away for the plex server, but if needed would like suggestions. 

Gaming: I would like to eventually play AAA titles games like Cyberpunk without frame drops at pretty high settings. 1440 or 4k at 120hz. Again do not need to buy dedicated GPU for this right away either (but would like suggestions).

Any help would be appreciated. Just need the best systems and setup to optimize my needs. 

Edit: spacing. Title for clarification. 

Edited by myongha

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CyMLjZ

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($342.98 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler  ($64.98 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL III ATX Mid Tower Case  ($149.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($134.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $922.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-01 08:32 EDT-0400

That is what I would build. Not sure if motherboard has enough SATA/M.2 for you, so that's a potential upgrade and spend whatever else you can spare on the GPU. Since your budget is so wild. 

edit:I meant to say that is what I am building at the moment, mostly, adjusted for US partpicker and I picked the case that has more HDD slots since you are already putting 2 drives in. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

54 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CyMLjZ

CPU: Intel Core i7-12700 2.1 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($342.98 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler  ($64.98 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard  ($139.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL III ATX Mid Tower Case  ($149.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($134.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $922.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-01 08:32 EDT-0400

That is what I would build. Not sure if motherboard has enough SATA/M.2 for you, so that's a potential upgrade and spend whatever else you can spare on the GPU. Since your budget is so wild. 

edit:I meant to say that is what I am building at the moment, mostly, adjusted for US partpicker and I picked the case that has more HDD slots since you are already putting 2 drives in. 

This would be for an all in one machine for NAS/Plex/Gaming? Or just gaming? Better to have NAS separate (since it should be running all the time)?

40 minutes ago, myongha said:

This would be for an all in one machine for NAS/Plex/Gaming? Or just gaming? Better to have NAS separate (since it should be running all the time)?

I think transcoding on Plex at home is not something you want to be doing if you have budget limitations at all. If you want to watch 1080p on your devices use 1080p files on Plex. And then you don't really need a separate device.

Also separate NAS is an additional expense as well, you can just share one of the drives from your PC and leave it on 24/7, PC idling doesn't use that much power. 

What I am building is a mostly gaming machine with a decently high end CPU, just for the future. And it can do Plex and NAS duties on the side. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Virtualizing gaming machines is a path to madness. Some anti-cheat and copy protection systems can detect when they're running inside a VM and prevent games from launching.

I'd keep the media consumption system separate from the storage system.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

3 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Virtualizing gaming machines is a path to madness. Some anti-cheat and copy protection systems can detect when they're running inside a VM and prevent games from launching.

I'd keep the media consumption system separate from the storage system.

I can still house the game installs and data on the NAS and access them from multiple computers, so I don't have to reinstall for every computer right? 

5 minutes ago, myongha said:

I can still house the game installs and data on the NAS and access them from multiple computers, so I don't have to reinstall for every computer right? 

You can! If you set up ZFS deduplication, you won't store redundant copies of a game's files if you install it for multiple systems. You'll want faster-than-Gigabit connections between your gaming PCs and your NAS for best results.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

37 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

You can! If you set up ZFS deduplication, you won't store redundant copies of a game's files if you install it for multiple systems. You'll want faster-than-Gigabit connections between your gaming PCs and your NAS for best results.

I'll have to check the videos out. My understanding UnRaid does not do ZFS. Does UnRaid have something similar?