intel S5000PSL Serve in 24 bay 4U server case. Assistance needed.

Hi all, been watching LTT for years but never signed up here before. If this is the wrong place for my first thread PLMK.

I've built many personal computers before but never done anything with server units for myself, family and friends. Last year my friend made a Kijiji purchase of a 24 bay 4U server chassis complete with Intel S5000PSL server board with a single XEON processor. It has a SAS controller card connected to the backplanes of the drive bays in the case. It's intended purpose is to run a basic Win10 install to act as a JBOD for a home media server. It would hold back-ups of a few things/programs and now also a Jellyfin server. It would be used as a download machine to work in the background from the main HTPC's in his home which will become just client machines. 

We are in Alberta and the seller was in Toronto. Long story short it took some time to get the unit shipped across the country. When I received it I plugged it in and connected the VGA output to a monitor and got no signal. I tried to reach out to the seller about any advice but got no reply. I've tried a few things including installing a graphics card and still nothing. As mentioned I have no experience with server equipment so I'm stumped on what further to try. I did receive pics of the system running before it was shipped but as stated between then and me getting it in my possession was some time.

I did remove the 2 internal HHD to see if there was anything on them and sadly I think both died in transit. When hooked up to another PC one doesn't even seem to spin up and the other spins up and makes some wonderful metal squealing and grinding sounds. Not a huge deal as they weren't the main goal of this purchase. I'd much prefer using a SSD for the OS and few programs.

I believe this server board is pretty old and presently slow.  Are we better at looking for some newer internal MB/CPU options? Nothing outrageous, just on board graphics to be able to connect a monitor easily and ge things working. Or any other possible ideas?

Appreciate any advice. Cheers!

Appreciate the link., I will look into that route.

As for why not Linux? I don't know anything about Linux and would need the time to learn it which I don't have right now. I know Windows and already have 2 PCs plus 2 PITA NAS units running in this home network that I am trying to consolidate into a single JBOD server that I can easily control remotely. Right now I do all of this through what are also 2 client machines and when I log in to make changes, which happens daily, I can be overtaking the HTPC while it is being used. I just need an easy to run but non-client mass storage machine that I can tinker with in the background. I don't use any sort of RAID nor need any drive redundancy. I have my own complete backup media library for that. 

• 2 months later...

Was finally able to look into this issue (sorry for the old bump) and found the diagnostic LEDs which I believe, according to the linked manual, represent an OFF OFF RED GREEN status which in the manual states

0x21h

- 

Initializing a chipset component

I've tried Google for an description of what that means but to no avail. Connected a monitor again via VGA and still no video signal from the onboard graphics. I removed and re-installed the RAM just to see if anything there had jostled loose but that didn't change the results. Hoping maybe someone with some experience in this sort of server board might spot this and have an idea because I'm stumped.